• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 6.0 cannot 'Save As' - PS crashes

Community Beginner ,
Apr 17, 2022 Apr 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

recently the PS 6.0 on my win10 computer began 'crashing' when i try to 'Save As' a file.  The 'Save As' window appears briefly (so as to enter the file name) but quickly disappears as PS crashes.  If i simply make changes to a file and use the 'Save' action, the file saves OK.  'Save As' fails from main file menu or from the 'Save for Web' procedure.  Compatibility is set for Win98/ME.

When i initially installed PS 6.0 on this machine, all file saving actions worked OK. then something changed (win10 update?).

/Jim
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi yes don't update your windows as photoshop 6 is very old according to windows 10...regards

Ali Sajjad / Graphic Design Trainer / Freelancer / Adobe Certified Professional

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Try resetting your Photoshop preferences

2022-04-17 15_44_38-Preferences in Photoshop — Mozilla Firefox.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 19, 2022 Apr 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

<cntl><alt><shift> doesn't open this shortcut.

/Jim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

not helpful.  i'm not planning on ignoring all windows 10 updates, just to accomodate a problem caused by a previous update.  your response is not helpful, but thanks anyway.

/Jim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To reiterate what @lambiloon already said, even if you should not want to read it: 

When one decides to stick with obsolete software one should make sure one is able to roll back any and all software and hardware updates in case they »break« the set-up. 

What have you done for all-purpose trouble-shooting so far? 

As @Ged_Traynor already mentioned Restoring Preferences after making sure all customized presets like Actions, Patterns, Brushes etc. have been saved might be a good starting point. 

Several points on this page do not apply to your set-up but check it out nonetheless:  

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/basic-trouble-shooting-steps.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2022 Apr 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

c.pfaffenbichler - thanks for your reply.  I have reset all Photoshop preferences, no change to behavior.  even uninstalled PS 6 and reinstalled - first run works ok (SaveAs function works ok), but after re-boot and thereafter, back to situation where 'SaveAs' function crashes PS 6.  PS 6 is set to compatibility Win98/ME (which previously corrected any poor PS 6 misbehaviors).

i realize that i'm using an obsolete version of PS on new WinOS.  Stopping all Win10 updates isn't a desirable approach, since we're then missing all Windows fixes (perhaps for this issue, and for all other existing Win10 issues) i like the PS 6.0 version, can't afford the cost of a new version.  I've come to this forum for help, that's all.
/Jim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 20, 2022 Apr 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running a program on an OS it is not designed to be run on is not recommended and ensuing problems are not something anyone here is likely to be able to help you with. 

It would seem like a huge coincidence if any of the regulars still had a comparable set-up running. 

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/system-requirements-old-versions.html

If you don’t want to go for the photography plan or Photoshop Elements or if they don’t meet your needs it might be time to consider alternatives, Gimp is freeware for example. 

https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/photography.html

https://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-elements.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 21, 2022 Apr 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 30, 2022 Apr 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nuts!  This didn't work either!  thanks for the suggestion. 😞

/Jim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 30, 2022 Apr 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't figure out why i have PS 6.0 installed on another Win10-64 Home computer and it works fine, saves files as normal without issue.  But on a different Win10-64 Home Computer, PS6.0 will NOT SaveAs files - crash every time. Can't see the difference in any setup between 2 computers.

Why does PS6.0 work fine in one location, but NOT in another?  how can i find the difference?

/Jim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 02, 2022 May 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am still having the same problem (not able to SaveAs).(https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/photoshop-6-0-cannot-save-as-ps-crash...) Resetting the Preferences file did not fix my problem.  There is an issue somewhere (that i've not been able to find) since i have 2 Win10-64 Home computers, one operates PS 6.0 perfectly, the other crashes when using SaveAs.  it seems like there is a fix... i just can't find where it is!

/Jim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How much free space does the drive have on the computer that ps 6 crashes on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 03, 2022 May 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Win10-64 Home computer that ps 6 crashes on has 1TB hdd with 800gb free.  the Win10-64 Home computer that doesn't crash with ps 6 has the same.  could drive or partition size have an effect?

/Jim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your good.

It's only when the hd free spsce is more than 1 TB that photoshop versions older than cs have problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could try if a script allows you to Save As or Save for Web without crashing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok. where do i do that?

/Jim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you don't have Image Processor Pro (not to be confused with Image Processor which comes with Photoshop):

https://sourceforge.net/projects/ps-scripts/files/Image%20Processor%20Pro/

I'm not sure which version for PS6...

Although known for batch processing, it can save an open file in various formats with various options.

A much simpler script could be used, the IPP script above is just the first one that I had a link to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is one that you can test for TIFF:

/* 
Save As TIFF with confirmation to overwrite
*/

#target photoshop

// Check for open doc - success
if (app.documents.length !== 0) {
    // Strip the file extension
    var docName = app.activeDocument.name.replace(/\.[^\.]+$/, '');
    // Offer a prompt to name the file using the original name as default (invalid characters are not considered)
    var docNameInput = prompt('Enter a filename (without extension):', docName);
    // Ensure that a filename extension if manually entered is removed
    var docNameOutput = docNameInput.replace(/\.[^\.]+$/, '');
    // Set the original doc source path
    var origPath = app.activeDocument.path.fsName;
    // Select a save location
    var docPath = Folder.selectDialog('Select a folder to save the TIFF image to...', origPath);
    // File save, path & name
    var saveFileTIFF = new File(docPath + '/' + docNameOutput + '.tif');
    // Conditional overwrite check
    if (saveFileTIFF.exists) {
        // true = 'No' as default active button
        if (!confirm("File exists, overwrite: Yes or No?", true))
            // throw alert("Script cancelled!");
            throw null;
    }

// Call the TIFF function
    saveTIFF(saveFileTIFF);

// TIFF function
    function saveTIFF(saveFileTIFF) {
        tiffSaveOptions = new TiffSaveOptions();
        tiffSaveOptions.embedColorProfile = true;
        // ByteOrder.MACOS or ByteOrder.IBM
        tiffSaveOptions.byteOrder = ByteOrder.IBM;
        tiffSaveOptions.transparency = true;
        tiffSaveOptions.layers = true;
        tiffSaveOptions.layerCompression = LayerCompression.ZIP;
        tiffSaveOptions.interleaveChannels = true;
        tiffSaveOptions.alphaChannels = true;
        tiffSaveOptions.annotations = true;
        tiffSaveOptions.spotColors = true;
        tiffSaveOptions.saveImagePyramid = false;
        // NONE | JPEG | TIFFLZW | TIFFZIP
        tiffSaveOptions.imageCompression = TIFFEncoding.TIFFLZW;
        app.activeDocument.saveAs(saveFileTIFF, tiffSaveOptions, true, Extension.LOWERCASE);
    }

// Save notification
    alert('TIFF saved!');

// Check for open doc - failure
} else {
    alert('You must have a document open!');
}

https://prepression.blogspot.com/2017/11/downloading-and-installing-adobe-scripts.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 09, 2022 May 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe the op is using photoshop 6 from 2001, so no java scripting was available in that release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Jeff Arola – You may be right, the plugin was introduced in v7 if I remember correctly, I must have been thinking CS6 and not 6!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines