Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop alignment tips required

New Here ,
Aug 11, 2021 Aug 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I'm a complete beginner when it comes to astrophotography and wondered if anyone could help me. 

I've got around 10 images of the milky way above a nice foreground subject. I'm hoping to separate the sky from the foreground and stack in Photoshop to remove noise. 

So far I have successfully stacked my foreground portion of the image and I'm happy with the result, however when I try to stack the images to remove noise from the sky.. stars in the corners of the image are blurred. 

I have tried the following process:

- get frames and mask to remove foreground

- auto align layers (I have also tried with the distortion setting enabled and manually aligning but still no luck) * - this is the problem step, when changing the visibility of the different layers there is a noticeable difference in alignment but this process has worked for other images with this lens 

- remove mask

- concert layers to smart object

- use median stacking mode 

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Or send a link to some different instructions? 

Thank you in advance

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Aug 11, 2021 Aug 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

stars in the corners of the image are blurred. 

By @jadei36511817

Do you have sharp stars on some image(s)? Do you understand why this is happening? Use masks to reveal  layer(s) content where stars are sharp instead of some other where stars are blurry. 

Do not remove mask(s) but rather change/modify them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2021 Aug 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stars are pin sharp around the edges of each layer.. it is only after trying to align and stack that they befome blurred (because alignment step is not working properly)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A starry sky is essentially and technically noise. There is simply not enough large scale information for the algorithm to work with.

I'd just nudge with the arrow keys to align them. As long as you're at 100% view, it nudges by single pixels.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I don't think this answer is technically correct, I used same procedure on another milky way stack and the algorithm worked perfectly.. it was even taken with the same lens. There is no difference in quality between the two images, both contain nice sharp stars around the edges of the frame and have been masked to remove the foreground. The only real difference between the two is orientation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines