• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Provide support for Linux (2011)

LEGEND ,
Apr 27, 2011 Apr 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was wondering if Adobe released any Photoshop versions for Linux? Because I looked everywhere in Adobe's site but I could not find any information.

Idea Declined
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 01, 2021 Oct 01, 2021

We currently have no plans to build a version of Photoshop for Linux.

Status Declined

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 666 Replies 666
666 Comments
Community Expert ,
Sep 07, 2017 Sep 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Build a business case and sell Photoshop on Linux to Adobe.  This is a Adobe user community we do not work for Adobe or have any influence on Adobe future plans.  If you want Photoshop on Linux the proper place to communicate this to Adobe is at

Photoshop Family Customer Community

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 03, 2017 Oct 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

If theres something I would love to use on my Linux machine it is the Adobe Suite. A large amount of us, the linux users, are involved with the web technologies and videogames. You may understand that in the process of development we need some tools for our graphical content, and the Adobe Suite excels for this kind of work.

As many other people, I stopped using Windows long time ago - more than 2 years -. I have a Mac and a Linux. The only great benefit I see from using the Mac, it is because there are more programs than on Linux. For the rest, even the terminal and the Graphical UI are very similar.

That said I end up suggesting you to port your Adobe programs for Linux. By doing it, I am sure the market share will really increment and then you could earn a lot of money.

Think of Linux. It is free so anyone can use it. Ubuntu for example is pretty straightforward to use, and Windows for example has lots of problems with viruses.

I am sure you use Linux in your servers - unless you have a deal with Microsoft in which case it all is self explanatory. Give us all the joy of having great software on this great OS ecosystem of Linux.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 06, 2017 Oct 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I add a vote to this? I'd love to run Photoshop on my linux box, it would cut down on the switching between my machines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 02, 2017 Nov 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bJust like to vote for photoshop on Linux, currently don't have a CC subscription but I would in a heartbeat if CC was made available on linux. You could use mono maybe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 28, 2018 Jan 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe are a lazy, money-grabbing monopoly who refuse to support the wider user base.

It's a very sad state of affairs they've let it go on this long.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jan 28, 2018 Jan 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe are a lazy, money-grabbing monopoly who refuse to support the wider user base.

Adobe is not a monopoly.

Alternatives to Adobe programs exist and Adobe probably has a considerable interest in not achieving monopoly-status as that could entail unpalatable legal consequences for them.

As for money – that’s what corporations are after generally. So if there was a serious argument to be made that a Linux release of Photoshop would make Adobe money they probably would do it …

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 29, 2018 Jan 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alternatives to Adobe programs do not really exist, let's be honest.

Therefore, it's on them to support their users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is one basic problem:

Linux users are Linux users because they don't want to pay for software. That's the whole point, isn't it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are Linux users that would pay. The problem is  would developing a Linux version add to Adobe bottom line  or not.  Development and support cost are not trivial.  Adobe would need to see a sound business forecast that shows there would be a profit. Forecast the numbers of Linux users that will subscribe

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know some will pay - I was more thinking in a statistical sense.

But it's funny how they say Adobe is

money-grabbing

...but there's some money, the Linux money, that they simply will not touch...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2018 Jan 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you work for Adobe? I'm finding this forum to be very biased.

Either you have way too much time to keep defending a corporation, or you're an undercover Adobe employee.

What do you possibly get out of defending why they don't build a Linux version? What's your motive?

Why do I need to forecast the numbers? Do a google search yourself. The user base's anger will be apparent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is absolutely no evidence that Linux users will not pay for software.

Notably Windows 10 is essentially free too.

Your alternative facts are outdated and wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are over ten million people with Creative Cloud subscriptions in the world now.  Back when ultra high res screens became available, and people were complaining about the UI size, Adobe told us that it was a HUGE job recoding Photoshop to handle different UI sizes. Just think how much work would be involved porting an app the size and complexity to Linux?  Out of Adobe's 20 odd thousand employees, less than 70 of them worked on the Photoshop Development team the last time we saw figures.  They would need to up that by 50% to not only code Photoshop for Linux, but to then maintain and do the updates.  It would be ongoing for as long as they supported Linux and a huge expense for bugger all return.

It's never going to happen, and Adobe could hardly care less if a few nerdy Linux obsessives want to switch to another image editor.  The business plan would remain unchanged.

Here's a wee thought for you.  I live in New Zealand.  Our South Island is roughly the same size as England, and has slightly more than a million inhabitants to England's 53 million.  So it cost New Zealand roughly the same to install the infrastructure for decent broadband as it does England (a simplification I know) but New Zealand has 2% of England's return on that infrastructure investment.  In our case it was deemed necessary, but it would never have happened without serious help from Central Government.  I guess Adobe could go to Donald Trump and ask for a hundred million to invest in Linux versions of its software.  It would be a bit of light relief as we'd all get a very big laugh out of that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check out the founder of Photoshop's AMA on Reddit. The #1 comment is "when can we have a Linux version?"

You can dismiss with alternative facts like "nerdy Linux" and "they won't pay" but ultimately this is all just hot air.

Adobe's revenue was $1.84billion in only Q3 2017. I don't think they need to borrow from Trump.

Do you, also work for Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

barneyw37147761  wrote

No I'm retired and never work for Adobe.   I have used big computers  many Operating System and added code to Operating system.  I have use personal computer when the were first available. I have Use just about every Windows OS and Microsoft DOS and OS2.  It took Microsoft about 20 years to get Windows working well.  Like it took IBM 20 years the get their Mainframe Operating systems bullet proof.  I used Apple Mac OS7 and OS9 never OSX.  Apple gave up  on their OS and switched to a Unix based OS with OSX.  I used Redhat Unix and IBM AIX but not Linux which is a Unix like system.

I choose to use windows in retirement for what is available and all the device support.  Manufactures always seem to have device support for windows you do not need to worry about about device support like Linux users do,  Apple want a premium price to the hardware and control what hardware and software you are allow to use on Mac machines.  You have more options with windows for software, hardware and price.  Like to use Photoshop on Linux you need to use wine I would rather drink wine.

If it would be profitable I believe Adobe would develop a Linux version of Photoshop. Why would'nt they? Corporation  need to make a profit.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Either you have way too much time to keep defending a corporation, or you're an undercover Adobe employee.

What do you possibly get out of defending why they don't build a Linux version? What's your motive?

Adobe employees are pretty clearly marked on this Forum.

And as for why one might bother to post on threads like this even if one is not a Linux-proponent: When people post untrue statements or incorrect conclusions  or irrelevant observations should one let them stand uncommented?

Edit: And I am aware that I myself am not immune to making mistakes …

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jan 31, 2018 Jan 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not biased, just realistic. I totally agree that everything in life shouldn't be governed by profit margins - a point of view that sadly doesn't have much traction these days.

But I also understand that some business propositions will never fly. This is one of them. Actually I don't think the minuscule market is the biggest problem - what makes it impossible is the huge overhead and support nightmare in dealing with an ad hoc, fragmented environment such as the Linux "community" - not a company, but a community, mind you. Who do they talk to? Which Linux distribution would get priority when conflicts happen, as they inevitably will? Where are the standardized frameworks and APIs? It's not just an OS kernel they're dealing with.

I'm sure when you look at the broader picture you will see that this isn't going to happen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just don't see why you lot are wasting your time defending a corporation's decisions when that corporation makes billions every quarter and doesn't need you.

If I, as a legitimate and long-time Adobe user, want to protest that I want Linux/alt platform support, your stepping in and defending their decision to not support that helps no-one. At all.

Therefore, I believe Adobe have undercover people working on their forums. Why else would you all waste your time.

Maybe if they are genuinely bringing out a cloud solution, if anyone at Adobe actually cares enough, this information can be used to support that case.

Either way, there's an unsatisfied user base. That you cannot deny or dismiss.

The unsatisfied user base needs a solution. Either an Adobe solution or a competitor one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're just saying that Photoshop on Linux is not going to happen, that's all. Yes, it's a waste of time, either way you look at it.

BTW - Isn't this why they made GIMP?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Therefore, I believe Adobe have undercover people working on their forums.

Are you joking?

If I, as a legitimate and long-time Adobe user, want to protest that I want Linux/alt platform support, your stepping in and defending their decision to not support that helps no-one. At all.

I don’t protest you (and many others) wanting Photoshop for Linux; after all who but you should be able to know what you want?

But when you make untrue statements (edit: also when one presents specious reasoning, unjustified conclusions, …) you should be prepared to accept dissenting posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 10, 2018 May 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Linux users have great tools for editing images. But when we want something like a photoshop or lightroom that are more excellent tools we become helpless.

I ask: Why does Adobe do these tools for Windows and Mac and does it for Linux? Everyone knows that the Linux platform is one of the most used on the planet, if it is not the most used today, and Adobe does not pay attention to this platform. The only product I know for Linux is Flash.

I would like to be a Photoshop and Lightroom user on Linux.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

diogofm  wrote

Everyone knows that the Linux platform is one of the most used on the planet

Hi

You may want to check out the facts about that statement

The True Market Shares of Windows vs. Linux Compared

Photoshop on Linux has been discussed here

Photoshop for Linux OS?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

diogofm  wrote

Everyone knows that the Linux platform is one of the most used on the planet, if it is not the most used today

This made me curious, so I checked some statistics. Concentrating on the desktop computer market - excluding mobile devices - most of them agree on roughly 80% Windows, roughly 18% MacOS, and 1.5% Linux. What the last 0.5% do, they don't say.

If you include mobile devices the balance tips a long way towards Apple, but Photoshop doesn't run on mobile devices, so that's irrelevant.

In the graphics/photography segment Apple has traditionally had a strong position. Adobe has always stated "roughly 50/50" Mac/Win market share for their graphics desktop applications. No actual figures have ever been released to my knowledge.

Anyway, Photoshop on Linux is never going to happen. Not only is the potential user base small both by numbers and percentages - but the whole point of using Linux is that you don't want to pay for software. Not exactly a golden business proposition...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think otherwise, if you use Linux you are using something free not for disinterest in paying, but by choice.

I bought a notebook that came with Windows 10. When I install Windows it automatically authenticates, but I prefer to use Linux because it suits me better at work. I always visit the Adobe website to get something for Linux and be able to get it but I never find anything.

The Linux proposal is not to stop paying for software but to facilitate access to computing technologies. There are paid versions of Linux that are supported by companies that have services on this platform.

Almost everything works on the basis of Linux. If you go to check the amount of desktop users you would be surprised. In China are millions, imagine around the world!

If you use a simple Android smartphone you are using Linux.

Anyway, I would like to buy Adobe products but I will not harm my work using Windows, and I do not want to pay the price of an eye to have a Mac.

Unfortunately I have to look for less robust alternatives.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 09, 2018 Sep 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please just compile this for Linux already. Windows is a disaster lately. Constant bugs on and off with these updates, and tonight Windows corrupted itself and I had to spend hours fixing it manually in command prompt. Linux hasn't always been the most user friendly, but I never had this much hell with Linux, its far more stable and easier than Windows 10 has been for me. I hate to say it because I have used Windows since Windows 95, but seriously, I'm sick of being tied to this OS because devs refuse to compile for Linux. The excuse that not enough people use Linux is dumb. If you cannot support Linux as often as Windows because of cost, fair enough, but what is stopping you from atleast releasing a Linux version every 3-4 years? I'd happily use photoshop from 4 years ago, if it ran on Linux natively, versus the latest version on Windows. Right now the only way to do it is Virtual Machine, which is expensive and not worth it unless you have a super computer. And this excuse of "not enough people use Linux" is ironic, because companies like you not supporting Linux, is part of the reason why more people don't use Linux. Photoshop is such an important program for so many people, that many of us are not going to ditch Windows, unless a Linux alternative popups for all the programs we use. I haven't found a decent alternative to photoshop in Linux, but if there were and you still didn't support Linux, I would ditch photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate