• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop auto adjusts brightness when Iopen my RAW image

Community Beginner ,
Apr 08, 2023 Apr 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know why Photoshop now auto adjusts some of my RAW images when I open them for editing? 

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 09, 2023 Apr 09, 2023

This is normal and expected, and even more so if you have any special settings in the camera. These will not carry over.

What you see on the camera LCD screen is not the raw data. It's the camera processing of the raw data.

A raw file is a data dump from the sensor, nothing more. If you could see it, it would be a very dark, very drab and tonally compressed monochrome image. You wouldn't like it.

There is no such thing as an "original" unedited raw file. To produce a usable image that you

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately this doesn't help. The RAW images on the back of my camera look darker than images opened in photoshop. The weired thing is...Photoshop doesn't do the auto adjusting on some of my other RAW galleries. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 09, 2023 Apr 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is normal and expected, and even more so if you have any special settings in the camera. These will not carry over.

What you see on the camera LCD screen is not the raw data. It's the camera processing of the raw data.

A raw file is a data dump from the sensor, nothing more. If you could see it, it would be a very dark, very drab and tonally compressed monochrome image. You wouldn't like it.

There is no such thing as an "original" unedited raw file. To produce a usable image that you can recognize, it needs to be processed in a raw processor. That's always an interpretation. Different raw processing engines will always produce different results.

In short, the sliders in the Camera Raw plugin are there to be used. It's up to you, not the camera manufacturer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 10, 2023 Apr 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

D Fosse...Not my case at all. I can view my original (I shoot in RAW not jpg) picture on my computer and when I open the same picture in Camera Raw photoshop my picture is immediately changed - the brightens and colors change completely. Almost looks like some filter is applied to my photo automatically. This has never happened before. I checked all my photoshop settings and can’t find what the issue is. I have been using Photoshop for the past 7 years i know how my RAW files used to open in ACR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 10, 2023 Apr 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not my case at all. I can view my original (I shoot in RAW not jpg) picture on my computer

By @Matthiola1

That's the camera-processed jpeg embedded in the file, not the raw data.

It sounds like you have accidentally changed your ACR defaults or some preset or camera profile is applied.

If you can show screenshots it might be easier to figure out what happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 16, 2023 Apr 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've attached my screenshots. I still have the issue. Seems like the Camera Raw in photoshop is messing it up. I have no idea why and what is going on. I've checked all the settings, and everything seems to be correct. I've had my Canon for 6 years perhaps I need to update the canon software on my camera? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 16, 2023 Apr 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Show the full UI so that we can see exactly which application displays what. This is still entirely unclear. What is "raw"? Where do you see that? By "Photoshop", do you mean the Camera Raw plugin, or opened from Camera Raw into Photoshop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines