• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop Beta v24.1 takes over as the default app for psd files

Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2022 Oct 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop Beta v24.1 takes over as the default app for psd files. I want that to remain as the released Photoshop v24.0 and I can't seem to change it back. In Windows 10 settings to choose a default app for psd there is no choice for the released v24, it's stuck on the beta. I just want to try some beta features occasionaly, not use it all the time. One example is when I "Edit With" Photoshop in Capture One Pro it now opens in the Beta because that is the default app for psd. So how do I keep the beta installed but have the release as the default. 

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Oct 28, 2022 Oct 28, 2022

Reinstall the version you want as default. The last version installed will take over. I have the same issues sometimes, as I also have the beta. So I normally open the version I want to use, rather than clicking on a file and seeing what opens.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Apr 14, 2023 Apr 14, 2023

There is no reason to fiddle with the registry, just reinstall the one you want to have set as default. As Chuck says, the last installed will take file associations, regardless of version numbering or beta/production.

Editing the registry is only called for if file associations are permanently stuck on an uninstalled version. That can happen if you uninstall old versions with newer versions still in place. To avoid that, always uninstall the one holding file associations first, before uninsta

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Oct 28, 2022 Oct 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reinstall the version you want as default. The last version installed will take over. I have the same issues sometimes, as I also have the beta. So I normally open the version I want to use, rather than clicking on a file and seeing what opens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 02, 2023 Jun 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But what happens to the preferences and settings that did not get transferred to the beta version? If I uninstall regular Photoshop and reinstall it, how can it find those settings anymore?

By @Chuck Uebele

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 02, 2023 Jun 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you uninstall, there is an option to keep preferences. It's precisely for when you plan to reinstall later. Preferences are stored in your user account, separate from program files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2023 Jun 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your way worked for me but last 2-3 days. Now Beta opens everything again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 28, 2023 Jun 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want different versions of PS to open different files, you need to go into Bridge and change the file handling in preferences. There you can assign different files to different apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 18, 2023 Aug 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what a mess.. ''just re-install'' - its not just reinstall! it's our time and I am always solving some adobe's issues here on PC instead of working and by the way paying money for that! the sollution should be only one - to push some botton and set the app you want as default, but never "just reinstall an 5Gb application" right??!.. tired of that

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 18, 2023 Aug 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

& finally after all, after re-installation it still opens by default in another version! [Removed by moderator]! i'm done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 04, 2023 Sep 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on Mac and beta version of PS & Ill default, SO frustrating!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 13, 2023 Apr 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe I've found the solution. In the Windows registry there is apparently a couple entries that define which executable to actually use when "Photoshop.exe" is called. And after installing the Beta, it defines the beta version as 'photoshop.exe', which we want to change back. Of course the usual advice applies to back up the registry before messing with it.

Just to be safe, I'd make a backup of both the whole thing (File > Export > Export Range 'All') and just the 'Photoshop.exe' folder you'll see in a second (File > Export > Export Range 'Selected Branch').

The keys can be found in the registry here (you can just copy this into the top address bar in regedit):

Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\Photoshop.exe

Then the two folders we want to look for in there are:

...\Photoshop.exe\shell\edit\command

and

...\Photoshop.exe\shell\open\command

For both, you'll see an entry on the right named (Default) and the 'Data' column is most likely set to:

"C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop (Beta)\Photoshop.exe" "%1"

Simply edit the path of both to change the path from "Adobe Photoshop (Beta)" to "Adobe Photoshop 2023" or whatever is the version you want.

So in the end for me both look like:

"C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2023\Photoshop.exe" "%1"

Then, restart the computer. Now, right click a .PSD file and select "Open With" > "Choose Default Program". You should now see an entry for "Adobe Photoshop 2023" that has the normal version's icon, so select that one then hit 'Always'.

Before, trying to change the default program wouldn't work (I didn't even see Photoshop 2023 as an option, and even after manually selecting the 2023 exe it still kept saying beta). But now after changing the registry, it should.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 14, 2023 Apr 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no reason to fiddle with the registry, just reinstall the one you want to have set as default. As Chuck says, the last installed will take file associations, regardless of version numbering or beta/production.

Editing the registry is only called for if file associations are permanently stuck on an uninstalled version. That can happen if you uninstall old versions with newer versions still in place. To avoid that, always uninstall the one holding file associations first, before uninstalling older versions. Then reinstall as needed. Normally this means following strict version order both ways, but having a beta installed disrupts the sequence a bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 13, 2023 Jul 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This did not work for me.  I uninstalled Photoshop (not beta version) then reinstalled.  I open my files through Bridge.  Opeing files is still defaulting to the Photoshop beta despite the reinstall of Photoshop AFTER beta version.  thoughts?  thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 05, 2023 Aug 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did not work for me, either

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 29, 2023 Sep 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Didn't work for me, either. I even went into Default apps in Windows 11 and browsed to Photoshop v25.0, picked it, and it still defaults to the Beta version. I like having the Beta to try out new features, but it's annoying to have to open up v25.0 every time I want to edit an image rather than just double-clicking on the image to open Photoshop. Guess I'll just have to uninstall the Beta.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2023 Oct 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No longer works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 16, 2023 Jun 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! This worked for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 27, 2023 Sep 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a ridiculous problem for any well-established piece of software to have. File associations were broken (as usual) after the last version update. In fact, whenever Photoshop updates from one year version to the next, it typically breaks the shortcuts and associations every time. Updating from 2023 to 2024, one would think that Adobe could figure out by now how to automatically remove links and references to 2023 and replace them with 2024 in Windows. Changing the associations in Bridge or Windows did not work. Editing the registry worked for now. Thank you to ThioJoe for the correct solution. It makes no sense to have to reinstall the program to correct the issue.. or for installing Beta to take everything over by default without asking the user.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines