Photoshop brush no longer working

Community Beginner ,
May 20, 2022 May 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was workig on a masked layer which was working perfectly fine.  I accidently hit alt and clicked mouse and the brush stopped working. 

Please help.

Thank you!

You need to ask program questions in the forum for the program you are using
To ask in the forum for your program please start at https://community.adobe.com/
Moving from Using the Community (which is about the forums) to the correct forum... Mod

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry about the trouble with the Photoshop brush. We're here to help.

Which version of Photoshop are you using? Would you mind sharing your workflow? As you mentioned, the brush stopped working. Would you mind telling me what is happening when you try to use the brush? 

Try to reset the tools; reset Photoshop preferences if it doesn't work. 
Steps to reset the Tools and Preferences: 
To reset all the tools at once, right-click on the icon of whatever tool is currently selected in the Tool Options, select "Reset All Tools," and then click "OK." When you use the Reset All Tools option, this will also reset all the tool selections in the Tools bar to their defaults.
Reset Photoshop preferences back to defaults and check if that helps. Here's the article for the steps: https://adobe.ly/3ceal5t. Also, back up the Photoshop preferences if you have any custom brushes, actions, and workspace: https://adobe.ly/2vNz6FG. Let us know how it goes. 

Thanks,
Ranjisha

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, thank you!  I am using 2022.  As I was using the brush tool on a mask image, I accidentatlly held the alt key down as I was zoomin in and out but clicked the mouse button.  I noticed a color wheel of some sort then, I was unable to brush again.  I reset the tool and closed out completely.  I went back in and by messing around hitting alt and the mouse button I noiced the color wheel coming back changing from all black to black and white.  I was able to get it to work again for a bit but struggled with the erase tool there after.  I tried adding a new layer masked image to finsih the project and now I cannot use the brush tool again.  I attempted to reset all tool options and it doesn't seem to work.  The latest issue I found is the brush tool is the erase tool and the erase tool is the brush tool it seems.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines