• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Decoupling the presetted "usual" brush size from OS operating aids (macOS) [2016]

Community Beginner ,
Apr 27, 2022 Apr 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Photoshop 23.3.1 (and older!)

2. Mac OS 12.3.1 (and older!)

3. The Setting for brush size is put to "usual",

• means the diameter of that temporary circle should be exactly the same as the brushstroke, independent of the selected hardness
  • Due to a large monitor, a slightly enlarged view of the mouse pointer can be helpful to some users.
    Thanks to the Mac OS operating aids, you can customise this individually.

4. Now the size of the brushstroke and the diameter of that surrounded circle in Photoshop doesn't match any more.

• While the operating aids of Mac OS display a larger image of the mouse pointer in a fixed solution, the brushstroke in Photoshop is variable and proportional to the zoom factor of the picture.
  • Unfortunatelly the OS operation aid zoom for the mouse pointer influences the diameter of that circle, too.
  • In this case it ist not possible to adjust the position of the brushstroke exactly, that's a pitty.

5. The best would be, if you can set the Ps brushsize decoupled from the OS operating aids. (Maybe a checkbox at that section, which allows you to de-/activate a professional view)

Thanks for listening. Best Frank

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jan 02, 2022 Jan 02, 2022

@marc21867922j5d2 

I had this issue for several years and versions and found out through these forums that the problem was that I had changed my cursor size in System Prefs > Accessibility > Display. Setting the size to Normal fixed the Brush size issue in Photoshop. Can you try that?

https://www.howtogeek.com/317969/how-to-make-the-mouse-cursor-bigger-or-smaller-on-your-mac/

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Dec 13, 2021 Dec 13, 2021

Incorrect Brush size: On macOS, the painted result is smaller than the brush cursor size you see on screen, determine if you have an increased Cursor Size specified in your System Preferences: Accessibility > Display settings

Make sure it's set to "Normal"

cursorsize-accessibility.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Nov 28, 2016 Nov 28, 2016

Are you using a mac os?

If you are, it's probably that the system cursor size is set to something other than Normal.

Go to System Preferences>Accessibility>Display and set the Cursor size to Normal

cursor.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
97 Comments
Explorer ,
Jul 04, 2019 Jul 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried Photoshop 2018 and 2019 get the same results.

Using Mac Mojave 10.14.5

Reset preferences and still nothing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reset preferences no change in results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wet edges was a nice guess, but they were not turned on. Tried turning them on, no change. Turned them off again and still no change.

Thanks for trying....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might try uninstall/reinstall with the CC Cleaner Tool. Use the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool to solve installation problems

It's a little different than regular uninstall/reinstall. It has a little BAT file. The CC Cleaner Tool has solved a couple of glitches for me. I hope it works for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the option but no success. Used the cleaner then re-installed photoshop. no change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does this happen with all brushes or just some brushes? Are you using a hard-edge brush or a soft-edge brush?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All brushes.

Here is sort of an example of what happens.

Stroke is my brush size guide and then inner dot is how it prints.

I just bought a new imac so I am thinking it is somehow tied to that.

Screen Shot 2019-07-04 at 4.10.07 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is your preference setting Normal or Full Size Brush Tip?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tried both it made no difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this doesn't help for now, but if it is an incompatibility with your new computer, you could submit a bug report to Adobe and hopefully they will address it. Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What size is your monitor? It may still be an incompatability with that. I know that when PS CC thinks my monitor is 1920x1080 all goes back to normal. If I use the 2560x1440 resolution the tools do the same thing for me as what you are stating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the mac side go to Apple>System Preferences>Accessibility>Display and set the Cursor size to Normal.

cs.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 05, 2019 Jul 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gold Star for you!

Thanks for the input. I figured it has to do with the imac settings somewhere.

You have no idea how much this helps and frustrating it is to know the answer is right under your nose but you cannot see it or figure out why, all of a sudden it does this.

Much appreciated.

Have a great day and great weekend!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 09, 2020 Oct 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 01, 2021 Apr 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes!!! Life saver! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 13, 2021 Jun 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you very much!! T.T

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 29, 2021 Jun 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm using Adobe Photoshop 2020 and suddenly my brush won't fill its size after restarting since it crashed. I've tried checking my cursor size on my OS but it's on normal size. Please help, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 11, 2021 Sep 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the white line is my brush size and the dark green is the dot i made ( i clicked). as you can see the brush size is smaller than the outcome. This must be a setting or something to click because my eraser tool also same problem with the outcome a little bit bigger that actual brush size. till now i still cant find any solution. I am using pc.Untitled-1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 01, 2021 Dec 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My normal brush tool (and stamp, healing brushes) are not filling in the diameter of the brush - reveals a smaller dot in the normal brush size circle. I don't know how to fix this so my size selection is what the tool uses.

I am using a MacBook Pro running OS Big Sur, version 11.6

Photoshop 21.1.1 release

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the Apple > System Preferences > Accessibility > Display > Cursor setting? 

Please post a screenshot. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Three things you can try:

1. Check your cursor preferences as @c.pfaffenbichler mentioned - confirm if its set to Show Full Size Brush Tip or Normal Brush Tip.

2. Select your Brush tool and go to the top left of your screen. Use the drop down menu next to the brush icon and Reset Tool.

3. Go to your Brush Settings panel and use the fly out menu to Clear Brush Controls.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Kevin means the Photoshop/Preferences/Cursors, while Christoph speaks about the Apple preferences, two different places to check.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@kevin stohlmeyer I tried all three of your suggestions, but none of them worked for me. Maybe it will help if I give you my specs.

I'm using Photoshop 2022 on a…

• MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021)
  • macOS Monterey, Version 12.0.1
  • Chip: Apple M1 Pro
  • Memory: 32 GB

Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does changing the brush hardness help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two additional things to try:

In your Photoshop Preferences/Performance - disable the GPU settings in the top right. Restart PS and see if there is a difference with the brush display.

If not, turn it back on, restart PS then...

Go to Photoshop Preferences/Technology Preview and check "Deactivate Native Canvas". Restart PS and check again.

Let us know if either of these changes affect the brush display. All of this is just troubleshooting to narrow down what could be affecting it.

Last resort is to reset your preferences. Easiest way is under PS Prefs/General, click "Reset preferences upon Quit". Then quit and relaunch PS.

Votes

Translate

Translate