Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop bug: text resizes itself to be HUGE after cropping background

New Here ,
Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop v. 22.5.1, desktop version, ios Big Sur v. 11.6

There is a bug in photoshop that I've previously reported a few months ago via the chat help option, but has yet to be resolved. When cropping a file, the text resizes to be HUGE - like bigger than any size you can even enter into the little box to size your text, over 2,000! See screenshots before and after that are attached.

Here's how I created the screenshots: I typed the word example at 81.6pt into a 5" x 5" document, used the crop tool to crop the background, and the type became 24,489.02pt! The font size should stay the same, shouldn't it?

This is important to me because I do email layouts on photoshop and because the size varies, I have to crop the end off or add more space at the bottom. When I do this currently, it resizes all the text which causes issues if I need to resize the text manually. This has been happening for a year or so (the last couple versions), but a couple years ago it never did this. Please help! Is there an extra step or something that I'm missing?

The workaround I'm using is to make a brand new file to the right size and transfer everything over instead of just cropping. Kind of a pain!

Thank you!

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

No bug. Clear the crop tool settings that you have entered in the options bar:

options.png

Point size is a physical size unit. Size in a Photoshop document is derived from the pixels per inch setting. So the huge size comes from the "1 ppi".

Photoshop itself only works with pixels. To translate from pixels to physical sizes, the formula "pixels per inch" is used.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would also like to add that the size of the document also gets super huge after cropping because the pixel ratio changes to 1 pixel per inch instead of 300 or 150 per inch. Maybe this is helpful to finding this glitch, which is also in the new version (23.0.0).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No bug. Clear the crop tool settings that you have entered in the options bar:

options.png

Point size is a physical size unit. Size in a Photoshop document is derived from the pixels per inch setting. So the huge size comes from the "1 ppi".

Photoshop itself only works with pixels. To translate from pixels to physical sizes, the formula "pixels per inch" is used.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Oh goodness, I had no idea this had such a simple fix - I've been having troubles for so long! I appreciate your help. Thank you so much! Hooray!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines