• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop can't export to replace an existing file (weird permissions issue)

Community Beginner ,
Sep 16, 2019 Sep 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I have a strange issue. I just did a clean install of windows 10 home. The first thing I downloaded other than drivers is photoshop.

I connect my external hard drive (a USB-C SSD formatted as ex-FAT), open a photoshop file "blah.psd" on it, and try to export the file to the same folder as a jpeg with the name "blah.jpg". Now, there is already file called "blah.jpg" in same folder (this is on the external drive), and normally it should just replace the file, but instead I'm getting the error:

"You do not have permission to save files to <PATH>\blah.jpg. Make sure that you have write access for this location, or select a different location."

This is strange because:

1. I'm running photoshop as administrator (explicitly right-clicked the photoshop app and selected "Run as administrator").

2. The file in question "blah.jpg" shows that its "Owner" is "Everyone".

3. I can export the same file as another name without issue. (Eg, I can export blah.psd as "blah2.jpg" without problem).

4. I can also delete "blah.jpg" without problem, and then I can rename "blah2.jpg" to "blah.jpg" without issue.

5. Even after doing this (exporting as blah2, deleting blah, and renaming blah2 to blah), I still cannot export to replace "blah.jpg" (which was created just now), and I get the same error.

6. Photoshop can "Save as" to replace blah.jpg. E.g., if I create a new jpg image, open it in Photoshop, and choose to save as "blah.jpg", then it will go through and the new image will replace blah.jpg.

7. Photoshop *can* export to replace jpg's on a local drive. Ie, if I copy the psd and jpg to say "blahlocal.psd" and "blahlocal.jpg" to a local drive, and try to export to replace, it goes through without issue. If I copy "blahlocal.psd" and "blahlocal.jpg" to another folder on the external drive, I again have the issue. So it seems to be an issue that is specific to the external drive when using the export function to replace.

In short, I seem to have full permissions on everything on the drive (though the drive is formatted in exFAT so I do not have a "security" tab when I right click -> properties). Photoshop can save-as to replace, but it cannot export to replace. The drive was initiated formatted when connected to my macbook pro back in January (running the latest version of Mac OS), and this is the first time I'm using it on my PC.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 16, 2019 Sep 16, 2019

As you stated above hard drive is used for macbook first you need to format this drive in windows then use it ... may be that can help.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi , did you tried to check without external drive on some other file...check that and let us know.

Ali Sajjad / Graphic Design Trainer / Freelancer / Adobe Certified Professional

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lambiloon, Photoshop can export to replace files on a local drive. It's only the external drive that has this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So there is some problem with your external drive try to search for its issue on there forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What makes you think it's an issue with the drive? I find it far more likely to be an issue with Photoshop than with the external drive. I can delete, create, rename, and use save-as to replace files on the external drive, so all the necessary permissions are in place. Every other program interacts with the drive without issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok which Photoshop version you are using ? if you are using Older version Try to install Photoshop CC 2019... perhaps that help you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using the latest version, freshly installed just yesterday.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this method hope it helps.

Type this on start  : Controlled folder access 

Then if its On >> Off it or add Photoshop CC 2019 name to list if its on.

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it was already off

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you stated above hard drive is used for macbook first you need to format this drive in windows then use it ... may be that can help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2019 Nov 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is caused by the exFAT format. Switch to NTFS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2020 Mar 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am facing the same issue:

Exporting over an existing PNG on an exFAT filesystem (or any other filesystem that is not NTFS) fails on Photoshop Creative Cloud 21.1.0.

I am using a USB stick that was formatted with NTFS and I reformatted it to ex-FAT. This is the only difference between the export succeeding and failing.

Can somebody from Adobe confirm that this is the issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 26, 2021 Mar 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where do I switch to NTFS? In photoshop? In windows? When formatting the SD card (which I am pretty sure will erase it). Erasing it is not the worst ordeal I have encourntered, but I wish had known that before it just opened and let me dump everything on there. I was able to point my entire lightroom catalog there no problem. It is only when trying to overwrite an existing file (like if i make a mistake) that it gives me this error.

I can always delete the file and send it there, but that is twice the number of clicks. When you do 1000x a day, that is 1000x more clicks. Thus, I cannot just "live with it."

3 Answers
Insert SD card, go to Computer.
Right click the SD card icon and click on Properties.
Click the security tab.
Click edit under the Group or user names display.
Click on Everyone (so that it is highlighted) then below in the permissions for Everyone area, tick Full Control.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 26, 2021 Mar 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will formatting erase the drive? Ugh So annoying. Everyday I solve one problem. Every day a new uphill seven hour battle. I certainly do not want to erase the entire drive and start over for nothing. I tried sharing and nothing and giving myself "Full access". I also tried the controlled access. It is off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 07, 2021 Apr 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yup been struggling with this on my internal windows drive as well since the new update, def not a mac thing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2023 May 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

All you have to do is to manually delete the file for Photoshop from within the 'Save'-window, then immediately click save, and it'll work. (Clicking on the file for deleting it has already given the new file the exact same name in the 'File name' field, so you've done one step manually that photoshop would've otherwise done automatically).

I found out that Photoshop only lacks the rights to delete / change a file, not to write a new one. I know, it's not a solution but a pretty easy work-around, cause from what I found out, this seems to be an issue with drives formatted in exFat. Reformatting, however, is a pretty blunt and not viable option for people like me who use these drives especially to travel between PC and MAC machines, since the "ex" in exFAT stands for "exchange" and it is the only format to use for both.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines