Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop causing system crash with VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR

Community Beginner ,
Apr 28, 2022 Apr 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello folks,

I'd really appreciate some help with an issue I'm consistently experiencing. Photoshop crashes my Dell Inspiron 7559 laptop, causing a “video dxgkrnl fatal error”.

I have updated Photoshop to the latest version, performed a clean install of the latest Nvidia Gameready Driver, updated Windows via Windows Update and checked that all other drivers are up to date via Dell Support Assist.

Here's what happens:

1. After a variable period of time Photoshop freezes

2. After a few minutes I get the blue screen with the following message: Stop code: VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR

My experience is similar, but slightly different to this previous report: https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/photoshop-cc-crashes-conflict-with-nv...

Below are system details:

System Model: Inspiron 7559
BIOS: 1.3.1 (type: UEFI)
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.6GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 16244MB RAM
Chip type: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
Dedicated Memory: 4055 MB
Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics 530

These are actions I have taken so far:

• Tested Photoshop with the Nvidia GPU disabled via system preferences. I was able to run the app for an extended period of time, but without features that are key to my workflow
  • Checked that in-game overlay on GeForce experience is disabled
  • Followed the majority of the trouble-shooting recommendations available via this link: https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/photoshop/kb/troubleshoot-gpu-graphics-card.html#GPUandgraphicsdrivertrou...
    1) PS is up to date (23.3.0)
    2) GPU is getting old, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M, but is still compatible with PS according to the Help > GPU Compatibility check
    3) Nvidia driver is up to date. I performed a clean install via Nvidia Geforce Experience
    4) Cache levels are set to 4
    5) Preferences: I have not yet reset my preferences
    6) I have disabled Open CL
    7) PS has been assigned the High-Performance graphics card via Nvidia Control Panel
    8) I have not yet disabled the integrated graphics card (Intel HD Graphics 530) as there was no issue on previous versions of PS
    9, 10 and 11) n/a

Any support would be much appreciated. My system is getting on in age, but I'd like to put off getting a new machine if possible.

Thanks!

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are there any monitors plugged into the Intel HD Graphics 530? If so, make sure all monitors are only plugged into the NVIDIA card.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jeffrey.

The Intel HD Graphics is set as the display adapter for both of my monitors (see attached). The NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M is set to be used by Photoshop via both NVIDIA Control Panel (Manage 3D settings) and Windows graphics settings.

Various support posts suggest that because it's a laptop setup, all display output is handled by the integrated Intel graphics and that calculations are only handed over to the dedicated GPU when Windows deems an app demands it. I did check whether there was an option to change the default display adapter via a boot to UEFI, but there appears to be no option.

Also, I only noticed this issue occuring in the last month. Previously Photoshop has run with no issues.Cintiq display settings.jpgLaptop display settings.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, that's your problem. That Intel Card is not supported with current versions of Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks,
Does it matter that it is the NVIDIA card not the Intel card that is used by Photoshop in the Graphics Processor Settings (see below)? I've attached my system info, in case it clarifies anything.

Additionally PS seemed to work for an extended period when I disabled the "use graphics processor" option (though I'd probably need to test more)

If the presence of the Intel integrated graphics in my system is the issue, can you suggest what options I have? Use an earlier version of Photoshop until I can upgrade my system?

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, the PS GPU compatibility check came through with a thumbs up (attached)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Images uploaded, rather than attached...
PS GPU compat check.jpgPS performance settings.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a common issue with laptops. You need to completely disable the Intel GPU. See section 7 and 8 here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/troubleshoot-gpu-graphics-card.html 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2022 May 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you. Additional research suggests that could create a whole set of additional problems, but I'll give it a shot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines