• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CC 14.1 GPU not detected (MacOS)

Community Expert ,
Sep 09, 2013 Sep 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I upgraded to Photoshop CC 14.1  Mid 2009 Macbook, 10.8.4 6GB ram/NVDIA 9400M GPU 236 MB ram.

When I launch PS by itself, my GPU is detected. If I double click on a file, there is a delay in opening and I get this message:

Screen Shot 2013-09-09 at 12.37.16 AM.png

All my OpenGL functions are disabled. So now what can be done to get my GPU working as it did in 14.0?

I'll guess I'm out of luck since NVDIA doesn't issue updated drivers for my GPU.

Just tell me what logfiles you need and how I can get them for you. I'm thinking maybe 14.1 is too much for this system and I'll have to dial back if this is not a bug.

Gene

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Sep 09, 2013 Sep 09, 2013

We have a workaround that should get the GPU working again with 14.1 on affected Mac systems...

1.  Navigate to the folder where the application is installed <OS Volume>\Applications\Adobe Photoshop CC\

2.  select the Adobe Photoshop CC application and right-click or control click on it - then select Show Package Contents from the menu options

3.  Navigate to the following location (within the app package):  Contents\MacOS\

4.  in that folder you should see something called sniffer - rename that by

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2013 Sep 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, the old sniffer WORKED. As do the ALL other Applications (3D,Post,Grading,etc..) on OSX that actually USE the drivers (which i dont think have "real" problems, even if not every driver is perfect).

And secondly, the "unknown bugs"...

1. PS 14.0 WORKED, then wheres the problem even IF you found "new bugs"? Switch to the workable state please. That should have been done BEFORE releasing 14.1! QA anyone ?

2. I have a LOT of highend hardware that works FLAWLESS, like AJA, BMD, AMD, NVIDIA, with ALL OpenGL/CL/CUDA Applications(Even Premiere, AfterFX AND PShop without the sniffer!). Only the PS sniffer will not work. Now you tell me whose fault it is ? I mean c'mon!

3. I know that OSX 10.8 does NOT support OpenGL 4.0, but 3.2, but then again you know that also, so this cant be an issue.

4. It's EASY to tell that the drivers are broken... but it's another thing to say "WE did bad" !

BOTTOM LINE:

F.i.x. .t.h.e. .s.n.i.f.f.e.r.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, the old sniffer failed to identify problems with the drivers and allowed you to use the GPU when the GPU wasn't actually working correctly.

We are continuing to improve the sniffer to identify the driver and hardware problems before they cause you to lose your work.  And we are investigating each case that seems like a false result - but so far they have turned out to be real problems in the drivers/hardware.

Those other applications don't all use the GPU in the same way Photoshop does, and may not come across the same driver and hardware defects that Photoshop does.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris Cox wrote:

What we're finding is that the new sniffer is identifying real problems with the GPU drivers - that the old sniffer didn't catch.

Sadly, we're also finding a lot of previously unknown bugs in MacOS GPU drivers...

Congratulations you have successfully found more bugs in the OS.

You guys are really good at this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I would like to say is that 4 days ago my Photoshop CC worked just fine.  Plug-ins worked, my Wacom tablet worked, my windows would float by default according to my preferences and since my update nothing is working as it should and I have spent copious hours trawling forums to find solutiions to the problem.  I've now updated the Application Manager, quit, unquit Adobe Cloud, installed, reinstalled,  ... need I go on?  We should not have to do this.

NOTHING is working properly and no other hardware or software has changed except for your update.

My Photoshop preferences show I am using Adobe CC 14.1.1  and how the heck it got there is anyone's guess as my CC said there were no updates to intall.

This situation is TERRIBLE.  (And if the caps constitute shouting then so be it.)

I have lost so many man hours in the past few days trying to work effectively that I am at the point where I will be applying to Adobe for a rebate.  You should not be sending out an update when it is clearly not well tested - there are innumerable complaints from well versed and tech savvy consumers, so  I hate to think how the "average" bears are getting on.

Absolutely appalled!!  And would be quite grateful if you could rewind the clock a week and get us all back and working!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 16, 2013 Sep 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're working on a fix for this so that those who were able to use GL/GPU in 14.0 will continue to be able to do so.  If you're interested in working directly with me to help us identify and test a solution, please contact me directly (my contact info can be found early in this thread).

With any luck we'll have a solution in place ASAP.

Thanks,

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2015 Mar 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rename of "sniffer.exe" solved the issue once for all. FINALLY — quick and elegant (!!!).

Before I somehow managed to fix this (way too often appearing problem) over Intel and Nvidia Optimus drivers experiments. But this saves A LOT of time, thanks! Hope itll not get more complicated in the future.

HW: GeForce 555MGT, Intel HD 3000, i7—2630QM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 13, 2015 Mar 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, you just avoided all the error checking, so now you're running without any safety and the bugs in your video card driver can crash Photoshop or corrupt your image display because you disabled all the safety checks.

Disabling sniffer is not a solution - the real solution is still to pick up the bug fixes for your video card driver (at least on Windows, on MacOS you have to wait for Apple to fix the drivers).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 11, 2013 Sep 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We just released an update (14.1.1) that addresses this issue for Mac users (Windows users who continue to experience any GPU-related issues should rename sniffer.exe for the time being). 

For more information on the update please visit:  http://blogs.adobe.com/crawlspace/2013/09/photoshop-cc-14-1-1-update-now-available.html

Thanks,

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 12, 2013 Sep 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure to return the ~sniffer back to it's normal name before trying to update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Adobe, got the Ps 14-1-1update this AM and the GPU and all 3D functionality are officialy on board.

I had seen all the responces to this thread in my mail box. After quickly scanning them, I hadn't seen the warning to switch the "~sniffer.exe" back, removing the tilde accent prefix "~". However after the update had completed, I reviewed the folder in which it resides and see that this update, at least in OS X, simply and not surprisingly, duplicated the amended tilde file with a  presumably up-dated (and non-accented) vertion.

Thanks again Adobe, for your swift attention in this mater, not to mention franck discussion regarding it here.

Mark S

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The update is for Windows users as well (maybe it wasn't when you wrote this) and I've just updated and it seems to work. Thanks for not waiting months to fix it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

unfortunatelly the 14.1.1 update doesnt work for dell vostro 3700, win7 64bit with geforce gt 330M.

I still need to rename sniffer.exe file to make PS CC work with graphic acceleration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, that means that the driver has a problem or the card doesn't meet minimum requirements.

The output from running sniffer would be useful to know why the card is being disabled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2013 Sep 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Sniffer output from PS 14.1.1:

c:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC (64 Bit)>sniffer.exe

snifferStart="2013-09-13_09:18:53"

NumGPUs=1

gpu[0].OGLVersion="3.0"

exception: glGetError() == 0

I have also restored PS folder from backup (before upgrade to 14.1) and output from sniffer_gpu on PS 14.0 is:

c:\tmp\sniffer14.0>sniffer_gpu.exe

Device: 00000000006612A8 has video RAM(MB): 1024

Vendor string:    NVIDIA Corporation

Renderer string:  GeForce GT 330M/PCI/SSE2

Version string:   3.0 NVIDIA 189.21

OpenGL version as determined by Extensionator...

OpenGL Version 3.0

Has NPOT support: TRUE

Has Framebuffer Object Extension support: TRUE

OpenGL ok

Return code: 1

My gfx has 1024MB VRAM so it should be enough, and 14.1.1 works ok when sniffer has changed name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If people are still experiencing issues with 14.1.1 + GPU that they didn't see in 14.0 please contact me directly so we can work on this:

travlin_adam at yahoo dot com

Thanks,

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With sniffer even 14.1.1 will not work. Also after the update to 10.8.5 today.

But by renaming the sniffer, 14.1 or 14.1.1 BOTH WORK, perfectly.

I have a 680 GTX

Cant you just make the sniffer like it was in 14.0 ? It worked F-L-A-W-L-E-S-S. Why change it ?

With sniffer openend in terminal (14.1.1) i get this (also GPU greyed out in PS):

macpro:~ master$ /Applications/Adobe\ Photoshop\ CC/Adobe\ Photoshop\ CC.app/Contents/MacOS/sniffer

snifferStart="2013-09-13_17:32:42"

2013-09-13 17:32:42.569 sniffer[2544:707] invalid display

Exception caught and ignored.

2013-09-13 17:32:42.590 sniffer[2544:707] invalid display

Exception caught and ignored.

NumGPUs=0

snifferEnd="2013-09-13_17:32:42"

I have 2 Displays, one PC Monitor and the second for video monitoring. Full HD. (One HDMI, the other DVI)

Also, ALL other Apps that i have work, also ALL CUDA (inclusive Premiere and AfterFX), all OpenCL WORK too, AND PS with renaming the sniffer...

...so IT IS ONLY the sniffer app that is faulty!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still with this update for mac the same problem here,

also renaming "sniffer" doesnt help.

iMac 9,1, ATI Radeon HD 4850

Bildschirmfoto 2013-09-12 um 12.43.30.jpg

means: Unable to load the openGL module, because it does´nt work with this version of Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Run the sniffer program by hand (just double click) and copy the output here so we can see why it is disabled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sniffer output 14.0

Adobe\ Photoshop\ CC/Adobe\ Photoshop\ CC.app/Contents/MacOS/sniffer_gpu ; exit;

Texture memory: 500

Vendor string:    ATI Technologies Inc.

Renderer string:  ATI Radeon HD 4850 OpenGL Engine

Version string:   2.1 ATI-8.16.74

OpenGL version as determined by Extensionator...

OpenGL Version 2.0

Has NPOT support: TRUE

Has Framebuffer Object Extension support: TRUE

OpenGL ok

OpenCL ok, version=1.2 (Apr 25 2013 18:32:06)

Return code: 3

logout

Sniffer output 14.1.1

snifferStart="2013-09-13_13:17:27"

NumGPUs=1

gpu[0].OGLVersion="2.1"

gpu[0].MemoryMB=512

gpu[0].RectTextureSize=8192

gpu[0].Renderer="ATI Radeon HD 4850 OpenGL Engine"

gpu[0].RendererID=16914951

gpu[0].Vendor="ATI Technologies Inc."

gpu[0].VendorID=4098

gpu[0].HasNPOTSupport=1

gpu[0].CompileProgramGLSL=1

gpu[0].TestFrameBuffer=1

gpu[0].OCLSupported=1

gpu[0].OCLVersion="1.2 (Apr 25 2013 18:32:06)"

gpu[0].CUDASupported=0

snifferEnd="2013-09-13_13:17:27"

I´ve also tried to put the 14.0 sniffer in 14.1.1., but still the same failures.

Also renaming did´nt help.

I think, it makes also no sense to contact apple about this, because till version 14.0 everything worked fine and I`ve also not upgraded to another OSX.

iMac 9,1 Mountain Lion

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 28, 2015 Jan 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have the mac  - I'm windows. However after closing Photoshop and re-booting my machine a couple of times the problem went away.  Hopefully for good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 31, 2015 Jan 31, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get this warning, but I'm not a Mac user  -  I have windows 8 .  Is there a similar fix for that too?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 25, 2015 Feb 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Freyjad1706 wrote:

I get this warning, but I'm not a Mac user  -  I have windows 8 .  Is there a similar fix for that too?

Make sure you have the most recent video card driver from the card maker's site.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-cs6-gpu-faq1.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay guys i have a solution that worked for me after lots of investigation. The issue is probably with OS X. If you are on yosemite do the following. Go to system preferences > energy saver and deselect "Automatic graphics switching" if it is already selected. Now go to photoshop preferences and and turn on enable graphics. Hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much for posting the solution, I'll make note of it.

I'm glad you are out of the virtual tar pits and back to work.

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2015 Dec 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I have a macbook pro retina model 2014 and I have the same problem... pretty sure is not the graphic card cuse I play every game without trouble and I can do the same action in Fireworks that works perfectly... the problem is in photoshop CC 100%.... Does someone could fix it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines