• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CC 2018- keyboard shortcut for "Make Selection..."

Enthusiast ,
Nov 06, 2017 Nov 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know that I can customize many keyboard shortcuts but "Make Selection..." doesn't seem to be one of them

When I go into my Keyboard Shortcuts Menu, under the Layers Panel, I  can't find the default shortcut for this function "Make Selction..." which appears in a pop up menu when you right click with your mouse. I would like to reassign it if only I can find the default keyboard shortcut. Does anyone know where it might be?

Screen Shot 2017-11-06 at 6.00.00 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-11-06 at 8.13.24 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 06, 2017 Nov 06, 2017

ou are looking for something that does not exist.  Adobe Photoshop  application has 11 menus in its menu bar. There is no Path menu.  Photoshop has a Paths Palette. Paths have right click pop-up menu with a make selection item.  However, there is no Photoshop  Application Path menu.

Capture.jpg

Your need to look for the Path palette panel. A path must be targeted first.

Capture.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are looking for an orange in an apple pile.  There is no make selection in the layer panel as you point out in edit  keyboard shortcuts. That is correct menu layer does not have such an menu item.  Then you show a make selection option is a path option. That is a path menu item it is not a layer menu item.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your help JJMack. I'm now looking for "Make Selection..." in Keyboard Shortcuts and can't find a Path Menu section for shortcuts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ou are looking for something that does not exist.  Adobe Photoshop  application has 11 menus in its menu bar. There is no Path menu.  Photoshop has a Paths Palette. Paths have right click pop-up menu with a make selection item.  However, there is no Photoshop  Application Path menu.

Capture.jpg

Your need to look for the Path palette panel. A path must be targeted first.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You actually don't need to assign a keyboard shortcut since photoshop already has a built-in shortcut for this unless you want the Make Selection dialog to always show.

After you draw the path press Ctrl+Enter (windows) or Command+Return (mac) to make a selection of the path.

Of note the shortcut uses whatever the last used settings in actual Make Selection dialog were.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are also button to click on.  But you must first select the path.  Paths also have mode like add, subtract, exclude, intersect.  Here I Selected two closed path one mode add or combine the other subtract.  You know the paths targeted because their node points show. I then clicked the make selection button.  Then filled the selection made.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 07, 2017 Nov 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JJMack and Jeff, thank you both very much for your help and those screen snap shots. Issue resolved, I assigned an F# key via the Action Menu for that command in the Paths Palette.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 17, 2018 Jun 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop cc 2018 keyboard shshortcukeys

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2023 Jan 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something that will mess you up coming from CS6 is that in the paths window you used to be able to make the selection of a path immediately by holding cmd and pressing whatever path in the path window, in CC it works the same but you now have to click on the path thumbnail and not on the path text.

The shortcut cmd+return isn't really useful when working with paths quickly for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 09, 2023 Jan 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, and welcome, @Janne27858431788f That CMD now works only on the thumbnail of the path makes sense: one can select multiple paths by CMD+clicking on their name, as we can in the Layers panel. The outlier is in fact the channels panel, where a CMD+click selects the content of that channel, even on a title, and one has do Shift+click to select non-contiguous channels... Not very standard behavior...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines