• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CC 2021 Update Glitch: Tools Stop Working Randomly

Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2020 Dec 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently updated to PS CC 2021. Ever since my update I have been experiencing a sporadic glitch where the cursor becomes stuck on the selection arrow. After this happens I am unable to switch to another tool or use any of the tools. I'm also unable to zoom in/out or move around the canvas. All I can do is save the PS file, close, reopen, work, and wait for the glitch to come again. 

The glitch typically occurs every 10 - 20 minutes or longer. Luckily, the PS file is able to be saved, but the malfunction is a constant distraction and nuisance. Dear Adobe, please take the time to observe this malfunction closely and provide support. Thanks!

I am happy to provide any information to help the cause. I run a 2019 iMac i9, 64gb RAM. My PS CC is updated to the latest version. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2020 Dec 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE: This glitch is now happening constantly. Can't work on PS CC 2021 Version 22.0.1. I am doing very basic collage work - utilizing filter masks, brush tool, clone tool, selection tool, etc.. I am now unable to operate on this program.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 08, 2020 Dec 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE: Contacted Adobe support and did screen share to show them the glitch. The agent said my graphics card may potentially be causing the glitch with the latest 22.0.1 version. This theory is not 100% concrete however. I have a Radeon Pro 580x 8 Gb graphics card in a new 2019 iMac. I was informed by the agent that I can run PS without the graphics card in 22.0.1 or downgrade to an earlier version (and use graphics card). I have downgraded back to PS 2020 21.2.4 version for the time being and have not experienced the glitch yet.

Hopefully Adobe will figure out the root of this problem with the latest PS versions and future updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What Mac OS are you currently running?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin,

I am currently running Catalina 10.15.7. I have not updated to Big Sur (slowly reading reviews). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah don't update to Big Sur just yet.

Your video card meets the specified requirements for Photoshop CC2021:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-cc-gpu-card-faq.html 

Generally, consider using GPUs with an Average Ops/Sec of 2000

https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=Radeon+Pro+580&id=3933 

The Radeon Pro 580 clocks in at 7,753.

It looks like that specific card has issues with CC2021, all the previous posts I've reviewed recommended going back to CC2020 for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the information and your time. When I was in screen share with Adobe support the agent didn't do much. They played with the RAM use and toggled the graphics card. They moved some 2021 PS user folders onto the desktop. I mostly showed them how the glitch works - we discovered the glitch shuts down almost  90%+ of the PS interface. Can't use the tools in toolbar, can't resize/move canvas appropriately, can't use drop down window functions. You can do random things like - add a layer, save, move the cursor around (no pausing), open preferences, etc.. Not much though.

I will continue to use 2020 as you mentioned and delay an update to Big Sur. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this - go into performance and turn off Use Graphics Processor.

If you can't uncheck it - turn on Use Legacy Compositing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I mentioned above, I have re-downloaded PS CC 2020 21.2.4 and things seem to be working so far. I currently have the Graphics Processor on with this version. Are you referencing CC2021 when saying to turn off the Graphics Processor? 

For reference, does PS run just as smoothly without utilizing the GP in general? (Regardless of glitch). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes 2021.

GP is utilized by a number of processes so turning off is more of a hot fix band aid, not a permanent solution. I haven't seen anything definitive from Adobe on if the Radeon Pro 580 isn't supported.

I do know that 2021 upped the requirements for GPU cards so it could be that either your version of the 580 doesnt support Metal (which would be odd considering its a 2019 imac).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Understood. Thank you for the information. Looks like some investigating needs to be done on the GPU standards for 2021 (Metal). When purchasing my 2019 iMac the 580 was the second best option after Vega, which was a significantly larger investment. Hopefully there is an optimistic future for this situation! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 04, 2021 Jul 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too have tried this, i just upgraded to an RTX 3070 pro and get the same glitch, ironic since i upgraded for better performance but now Photoshop is less productive than on my older, slower, less stable system. Very annoying. So anyway i tried swticign off graphics procssor but it makes photoshop run very poorly. Unfortunatley i cannot install a version earlier than 21.2.9 and the problem persists. Anyone know  where i can download earlier versions safely? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2021 Jul 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: So after cycling through every graphics settings and the problem persisting i managed to get a very helpful adobe support collegue who, after a breif period of going through everything i tried, gave me a link to Photoshop CC 2019 setup installer. Which fixed the issue entirely. 
Credit to the support staff he was very thorough and gave me exactly what i wanted

Thank you "Sumit" 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2021 Mar 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue on windows 10 with a 1080ti. Exactly what you are experiencing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 10, 2021 Oct 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This bug is also happening in Windows.

Here's another thread about the same bug:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/photoshop-stops-working-cursor-unexpe...

The quickest workaround is 'Window > Arrange > New Window for your doc...' Saving closing and reopening the document seems to work too.

Hopefully it gets fixed soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2022 Jan 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the tip! Previously I quit Photoshop, then realized that I could save, close the document and re-open it again but I hadn't realized I could just open a new window for the document. And while it's not a permanent fix, it's still better than those previous workarounds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines