• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CC 25.1 compatibility to Photoshop CS2

New Here ,
Oct 20, 2021 Oct 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to send a template to someone that is using Photoshop CS2. Are there any compatible formates to send to someone with such an outdates Photoshop program, so that they can adjust the template to their liking? If not are there some options out there to create templates in so they are adjustable?

NOTE: I'm trying to send a template from my up-to-date Photoshop CC to someone with Photoshop CS2

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you actually mean by a "template" - ignore CS2 for now, what would it mean entirely in your Photoshop CC?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess what I mean by template is a photoshop file that has adjustable layers, while others are locked. For example, I've created a 7 day forecast template that would allow someone to simply adjust tempurature and whether for specific days by turning layers on and off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@TheShed wrote:

I guess what I mean by template is a photoshop file that has adjustable layers

Do you mean "adjustable layers" or "adjustment layers"? If I remember correctly, Adjustment Layers were introduced in CS4, so that is an example of a feature that would not be compatible with CS2. Any features that are not in CS2 will not come across.

Can you tell us what happens when the recipient opens the file? If it is a basic file, can you send a .tiff?

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's not a tested workflow, but in general, PSDs are 'compatible' in that they should open in prior versions. That said, new layer types and properties that were introduced after CS2 will degrade. 

The best way to proceed is to test it for yourself with your specifics. Send the file to the person with CS2. Have them open it. They will most likely get an error that looks like this:

JeffreyTranberry_0-1634768997935.png

Have them choose "Keep Layers" and then resave the file out of CS2 and send to you to see what survived.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

are you saying that they're unable to open the file you sent them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you made the template in a in a photoshop version newer than CS2 the PSD may have layer that CS2 does not have all the feature some layer may have. So some of your  templates may not work in CS2. Templates made in CS2 should work in your newer Photoshop version.  There is a good chance your Template will work in CS2  some of the newed features may create layer that are usable in cs2.  Its layers   like  Smart Object Layers the have newer Smart  Filters like ACR  and new layer style where more that one drops shadow are on the layer  that are not compatible in CS2,  CS2 may even be able use the layer current content and drop the layer style. Many are the newer features in Photoshop are usability enhancement   featurelike content aware that make selection easier to make they do make layer that are not compatible with CS2 

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS2 is nearly 20 years old.  Your feature-rich CC version is light years beyond it. 

Best advice, tell the other person to get modern software.  A basic Photography Plan costs only $10/month for 12 months.  Or they can buy the latest Photoshop Elements for under $100.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines