• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CC freezes on "Reading Preferences"

New Here ,
Jan 23, 2018 Jan 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some time now, I have encountered Photoshop CC taking forever to open up when it comes to the point where it is "reading preferences" on the splash screen. It either eventually opens after some minutes or just freezes. I have tried deleting the preference files by holding down ALT+CNTRL+SHFT but that doesn't seem to help much.

If it is any help, here are the specs for my laptop I'm using

Lenovo Z70

• Intel Core i5 -5200 CPU @2.20GHz
  • RAM: 8.00GB
  • Windows 10 Operating System

Anyone have suggestions or helpful fixes that might heel this problem? I do a lot of graphic design work and running into this issue day by day is becoming extremely frustrating.

Thank you

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Jan 23, 2018 Jan 23, 2018

If you want to completely reset Photoshop's preferences then delete the Settings file. Go User>AppData > Roaming > Adobe. (You'll need to view hidden folders in order to see AppData.)

In there is the Photoshop Settings folder. If you want to preserve your Settings folder, in case this doesn't solve your problem and you want to go back to it, then zip compress it. Otherwise delete it. When you start Photoshop again a new Settings folder is created.

If you want to go back to your old Settings, just

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Engaged ,
Jan 23, 2018 Jan 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to completely reset Photoshop's preferences then delete the Settings file. Go User>AppData > Roaming > Adobe. (You'll need to view hidden folders in order to see AppData.)

In there is the Photoshop Settings folder. If you want to preserve your Settings folder, in case this doesn't solve your problem and you want to go back to it, then zip compress it. Otherwise delete it. When you start Photoshop again a new Settings folder is created.

If you want to go back to your old Settings, just delete the newly created Settings folder and un-compress the original Settings folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 05, 2021 Apr 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've removed the settings folder a number of times.  It doesn't help.  Photoshops still hangs on "Reading preferences.." for up to 4 minutes before openning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 12, 2021 Apr 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same with me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 12, 2021 Apr 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Baby steps.  For whatever reason, it now takes only 50 seconds rather than 4 minutes for Ps to read preferences.  It then opens.  I have limited off line functionality.  It syncs in and out but won't read libraries nor will it allow any syncing.

LrC syncs perfectly but Ps syncs in and out and won't read libraries.  I suspect the problem is the CC app which while it recognises my account and shows mt avatar, it immediately reports a sync fault.  I think if this were fixed, Ps would work as well since it seems to depend on the CC app but LrC not so much.  I've sent a log file to Adobe.  Don'r know if I'll hear back any time soon or ever. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 19, 2022 May 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 06, 2023 Mar 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Old thread, but it comes up as one of the first Google results so I wanted to share what worked for me, in case anyone is searching for this problem still in 2023. The actual fix is at the end but the other info may help.

It seems like there are a few different causes and fixes. The commonly suggested fix is resetting preferences. You can also have brushes, styles, and patterns that are saved in files that are either huge or get corrupted. So, if you can live without that stuff, it may help to delete the PSP files associated with them and let photoshop recreate them. You can also manually delete a bunch of these things within the photoshop GUI.

None of those things worked, and I realized that because I'm on a work domain, my Photoshop preferences (and maybe even the program files) are redirected elsewhere... So it looks like I'm installing to my own PC but in the background, a lot of the files are stored on some network server. I theorized that there was a permissions problem accessing the PS settings file because it wasn't on my computer. I found a registry entry that lets you force photoshop to put settings in whatever folder you want, so I changed that setting to point to a path on my computer, as opposed to on the domain server. The registry entry will look something like: Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Adobe\Photoshop\170.0 (the last number is your version number, 170 is photoshop 2023). From there, you can edit the entry called "SettingsFilePath" and put in path to your settings folder. Do it without quotes, and with a trailing backslash. For example on a typical home PC it would default to C:\Users\[your user name]\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2023\Adobe Photoshop 2023 Settings\

This seemed to help, but for some reason stopped working, and I realized that it wasn't really an issue having to read about 20 MB of preferences from our domain server.

The fix that worked might sound like lame generic advice, and it's the kind of thing that rarely fixes ANY problem for me, and I do a fair amount of IT work. But in this, the solution wasn't some obscure registry entry, or group policy entry, or taking ownership of some folder and changing inherited permissions, or logging in/running as an admin. The solution was - just do a full windows update.

I didn't have to go as far as upgrading from Windows 10 to Windows 11. But I did keep doing updates until microsoft had no more suggestiosn. And even then, I noticed that my Windows did not upgrade to 22H2 (the latest/last version of windows 10, I believe). It was stuck at 21H2. So I downloaded the windows update assistant, which skips all the manual hassle of installing MSU and MSI files, or even refreshing the windows update dialogue. You just run it, sit back, and wait, and it does whatever is needed to get you upt o 22H2. The assistant is explained here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/windows-10-update-assistant-3550dfb2-a015-7765-12ea-fba2ac...

The actual updater program to 22h2 is the first big blue download button at the top of this page: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Doing this reset my registry tweak so that the settings file went back to living on the domain server. And it probably also changed some other obscure settings. Whatever the reason, it solved the problem for me, and now photoshop launches quickly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines