• ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CC not opening files

Community Beginner ,
Aug 20, 2021 Aug 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As title states, simple problem: I can't open any files in Photoshop CC.  I first started using it on a new computer a few days ago, and I've had to uninstall and reinstall it multiple times every day to get it to open anything.  Not a file corruption issue because I've tried different PSD and JPEG files all with the same results.  Drivers and P-shop version are all current.  I've tried the Open GL selected and deselected with no change.  Today I've re-installed P-shop twice and cannot get anything to open.  I haven't been saving any preferences to be sure it's a clean install every time.

I've seen a lot of people with the same problem over the years and haven't yet seen an answer that works...

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After any failed open attempt, trying to close Photoshop fails as well and I need to force quit in order to close it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been trying older versions; brought it back to the oldest available, v21.2.11, and it finally opened a file.  I wouldn't consider the issue to be "fixed" since none of the newer versions work, but at least I can do my job for the rest of the day today!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @joel.a.ness sounds frustrating for sure. This could be a RAM allocation issue or disk space availability, or a combination of both. Good to hear you've been able to get things running on an earlier version. Maybe a memory leak happening with something. Do you have a lot of extra plug-ins trying to load? I'm on Windows 10 Pro and not having any troubles. My system isn't that new or robust but I do have 16 GB of RAM and an Intel i7-6500U processor. Is your new computer setup running something heavy that might be interfering with PS? It does take a lot of resources to run, as you know. Anyway, you can check system requirements here: Photoshop system requirements (adobe.com) and tips to optimize performance here: Optimize performance Photoshop (adobe.com)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response, Jain.

I haven't loaded any plug-ins in an attempt to keep glitches to a minimum.  Not trying to run with any graphics-heavy programs either.  The computer has in Intel i7-11800H processor, 32 GB RAM, and Nvidia GeForce RTX 3050 graphics card.  I don't think the hardware should have any problem opening a simple JPEG by itself.

I followed your second link and ended up navigating here: Troubleshoot GPU

I then reinstalled the latest version of Photoshop, and from the link above I followed the directions in section 7 to make sure Photoshop is only trying to use the Nvidia card rather than integrated Intel graphics.  So far it's working, but the problem has been hit-or-miss so I'll know within a day or so if it really did change anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great to hear. Yes, designating a graphics card sounds right. Your new system is nice and should be singing right along. Please let us know how things go from there!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 23, 2021 Aug 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Back to not working again, with Photoshop directed to use the Nvidia card.

Reinstalled v21.2.11 and it seems to be working for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 23, 2021 Aug 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Okay, I'm sorry to hear that but glad you have an interim fix for now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines