• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop constantly hanging after most tasks [macOS]

Explorer ,
Aug 28, 2022 Aug 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know what to do to get this program to work! It just hangs up ALL THE TIME. I try to paint on a mask and it thinks about it for 10-15 seconds. I can't work like this and I can't anything done. I have updated everything I can. I am using a Mac and I watch the Activity Monitor and I'm using about 4% of my CPU capacity and yet Photoshop has Not Responding on ALL THE TIME. Now my short cut keys don't work. If I click the shortcut 3 or 4 times, sometimes it will change to the correct tool but rarely. Why is this so frustrating?? I'm not doing complex things here. What can I possibly do? I would buy a new computer in a heartbeat if I thought that was the issue but I think it's Adobe as everything else runs fine.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When Photoshop crashes, this is the first thing to do, try resetting your Photoshop preferences. Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Windows) or Option+Command+Shift (Mac OS) immediately after launching Photoshop. You will be prompted to delete the current settings. You can also reset preferences upon a quit if Photoshop is running by going into General Preferences>General>Reset on Quit.

If that doesn't fix the issue:
Go to Preferences > Performance... and uncheck Multithreaded Compositing - and restart Photoshop.
Still crashing? 
Go to Preferences > Performance... click Advanced Settings... and uncheck "GPU Compositing" - then restart Photoshop. Still crashing?  

Try logging into another account (you may need to make one), still crashing? 
Try starting up in Safe mode (hold down Shift Key when booting), still crashing? 
You might want to try running a free utility like Onyx: still crashing? 
https://www.titanium-software.fr/en/onyx.html
Also view:
https://www.macworld.com/article/352902/onyx-review-macos.html
https://www.macworld.com/article/224955/how-to-reset-a-macs-nvram-pram-and-smc.html
From Adobe:
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/basic-troubleshooting.html

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But it's not acutally crashing. It's just getting hung up. Like flattening an image with two or three layers will take 45 seconds. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which operating system are you using?

Which exact version of Photoshop? In Photoshop, click Help > System Info.

Try resetting your preferences anyway. It's a good first step in troubleshooting. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I'll ask a different question after the suggestions outlined for a fix: Still hanging? 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop needs a powerful modern computer to run successfully. How much RAM and spare hard disk capacity do you have?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 32 GB of RAM on an imac. How do I see how much spare hard disk? If I'm understanding correctly, I have 3 TB of storage and I'm using 1.5 of that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Which operating system are you using?

Which exact version of Photoshop? In Photoshop, click Help > System Info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines