• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop crashed and deleted my custom swatch and patterns

Explorer ,
Sep 10, 2020 Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I spent a lot of time creating a custom swatch, saved it to my custom workspace.  I also had several patterns I designed from substance designer that I imported and converted to patterns.

Photoshop crashed while I was creating some game assets and now all the default swatches are back and my custom swatches and patterns are gone.  I tried selecting "import swatches" or "import patterns" and there is nothing in the default directories that these menus search.  Loading my custom workspace doesn't solve this either.  Still loads the default settings for swatches and patterns.

How do I restore my swatches and patterns?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What operating system, and which version of Photoshop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 10

Version: Adobe Photoshop Version: 21.2.2 20200807.r.289 2020/08/07: 287d0d87ec x64

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparently it deleted ALL of my shortcuts too.  Is this going to happen every time it crashes?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me, it doesn't always happen, but it does often enough that I now save my swatches, shapes, and brushes etc to my computer just in case. Then all I have to do is go "Replace Brushes" etc.  I know that doesn't help you this time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 11, 2020 Sep 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was loading those presets from somewhere, otherwise they would have disappeared upon closing PS.  Crazy that a crash just erases everything.  I'm about done with this trainwreck of a program... wasted too much time on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You must save swatches and patterns in order to ensure that you can load them using menu items, otherwise you may lose your unsaved patterns, swatches... That is how things works in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2021 Nov 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is the most ASSININE way of doing things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have a look at C:/Users/username/AppData/Roaming/Adobe/Adobe Photoshop 2020/Adobe Photoshop 2020 Settings. Look for a file named Patterns.psp; what is the file size?

Have you ever installed Photoshop before v2020? If so, and you've set the CC desktop app to save your settings when updating, you may have an older version of Patterns.psp in one of them. If the file size is larger than the one in v2020, you could try transplanting the old .psp into v2020. I had to to that a few months ago when I went overboard organizing my patterns and deleted a bunch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2021 Nov 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just happened to me too, Photoshop is a dumpsterfire fed by complacent shareholders at this point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines