• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop crashes and freezes

Community Beginner ,
Jun 08, 2021 Jun 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whatever I try, which ever update I try, the latest PS will only start up with a beach ball and that ever since version 22.x

On a MBA 2020 Big Sur 11.4 I7 16GB

What I tried:

- deleted preferences

- uninstalled and reinstalled

- reverted to version 21.X well that worked but updating results in the same crash.

What to do next?

{Thread title edited by moderator}

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Jul 23, 2021 Jul 23, 2021

Hi all,

We're sorry for the crash issue. Take a look at the following troubleshooting article and try the first 6 simple steps that can help you resolve most of the crash and freeze issues with Photoshop:  Troubleshoot crash or freeze | Photoshop

If that doesn't help then, take a look at the other troubleshooting tips section.

Let us know your feedback.

Thanks,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Sep 24, 2021 Sep 24, 2021

I have students who are running into the same problems.

Does anyone know where I can find this script to run on a Windows PC?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 332 Replies 332
New Here ,
May 07, 2021 May 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issues, even when I install an older version.  

I've happened upon another forum that indicates it could be a 4 year or older GPU ???  Mine expired 4/30/2021 and that's when my problems started.  

Anyone else find this possible lead as the real issue and we have to update our GPU card?? 

I'm fuming if I have to upgrade a decent computer with yet another updated GPU card.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2021 May 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 22.x Versions of Photoshop worked well on my iMac i5 2019 with Catalina. But lately (I can’t say exactly when it started, but it might be with 22.2 or 22.3) Photoshop began to crash at startup. Usually with this:

Crashed Thread: 10 GPU Sniffer Launcher

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x00000000000004e0
Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Signal: Segmentation fault: 11
Termination Reason: Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0xb
Terminating Process: exc handler [1649]

So "GPU Sniffer Launcher" seems to be the problem...

Restarting the Mac could help (for the day) but since I upgraded to 22.4 Photoshop does not start at all. And even worse: none of the 22.x versions seem to work anymore - even the ones, that worked before...

One more thing: our 2018 Mac mini runs 22.3 with Catalina just fine... Same on my private MacBookPro from 2012, so an outdated GPU can’t be the reason.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 27, 2021 Apr 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop crashes right after (less thatn a second) the open command.

Started after the last OSX security update. Tried to reinstall the PS already with cleaning all the prefs with the App Cleaner.

Process: Adobe Photoshop 2021 [4057]
Path: /Applications/Adobe Photoshop 2021/Adobe Photoshop 2021.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Photoshop 2021
Identifier: com.adobe.Photoshop
Version: 22.3.1 (22.3.1)
Code Type: X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process: ??? [1]
Responsible: Adobe Photoshop 2021 [4057]
User ID: 502

Date/Time: 2021-04-27 15:46:52.493 +0200
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.15.7 (19H1030)
Report Version: 12
Anonymous UUID: 9B5E7092-7B20-E280-448F-3794315AED5C

Time Awake Since Boot: 8300 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread: 12 GPU Sniffer Launcher

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x00000000000004e0
Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Signal: Segmentation fault: 11
Termination Reason: Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0xb
Terminating Process: exc handler [4057]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2021 Apr 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this exact same issue. Also for some reason this issue is causing me to have problems with other programs. I will be using Autodesk 3DS Studio Max for my next class and I've noticed that ever since the issues started with photoshop my 3ds max program started crashing as well. I do not know if the two are related, but they started at the exact same time. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 28, 2021 Apr 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solved. The solution was restart. I didn't try that earlier because it happend right after an earlier restart, that was part of some OSX security update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 30, 2021 Apr 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had same issue. Loggen out. Restarted. All was fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 01, 2021 May 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Exactly the same problem with Photoshop 22.3.1. Occured yesterday out of the blue. Crash report seems to be the same.

I logged out from the Cloud and restarted the computer but it did'nt solve the problem.

Any other steps I should try?

Thank You!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 01, 2021 May 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I spoke too soon. Worked for one launch of PS. Once I had quit the application I got the same crash-on-launch problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 30, 2021 Jul 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Guys - like everyone here I have had major issues with not only Photoshop but also illustrator (you can check back through my previous comments) but in a nutshell.....

I updated to Big Sur and both Adobe Apps crashed my system on start up (loading image - crash)
I spend 14 hours working with Adobe (giving them access remotely) they blamed Big Sur and Apple

I sent my iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019) 8 core 69 GB to the Official Service Center and nothing was wrong

They factory reset it back to Catalina and still both Apps crashed on start up (no pluggins) 
I have completed all the updates but they make no diffrence.......

My conclusion is that I have been working in Photoshop for 20 years without an issue like this. Imagine an old motorbike. The frame is the same, but you keep adding things, bells and whistles - all of a sudden it is not stable any more and cannot handle the load....this is where Adobe is at........

So I have changed to Affinity Photo - it meets my needs, is totally stable (even with Big Sur) and is not subscrition based. Best of luck to everyone..... : ) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 03, 2021 May 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too have the same issue. All the rest of my Adobe apps are working fine, its just Photoshop.

I've rebooted, uninstalled both PS and Creative Cloud multiple times but to no avail.

I installed PS 21.2.7 (after unsuccessfully trying other 22.x versions) and it appears to be working, for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 04, 2021 May 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS 21.2.7 didn't work for me. But worth a try!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 04, 2021 May 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This! Same issue over here with latest CC and PS on iMac Catalina, recently installed macOS Security Update. Wiped and reinstalled CC two times by now. Upon fresh reboot PS starts fine. When reopening PS at at later point in time it crashes immediately.

Crash report states "Crashed Thread: 11 GPU Sniffer Launcher".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 06, 2021 May 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem.  Yesterday restarted my Mac was the solution but not today.  I turned off the computer last night but after turning it on this morning, Photoshop crashes upon starting - same error message as above.  I tried restarting, I tried reinstalling the version before the update, then the update... nothing has helped.  Any ideas?  I need to finish a school project using Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 06, 2021 May 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS 21.2.7 seems to work for some…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have recently had numerous crashes and freezes in Photoshop, that I think corresponds with the latest Photoshop CC update. At first I thought that the problem was limited to using the NIK software plug in, but now photoshop refuses to allow me to very little before stopping working. It either freezes until I try to exit, then asks if I want to save changes, or completely locks up requiring me to use Task Manager, close the program, and lose any progress that I might have achieved.

I would really be grateful if anyone has managed to succesfully resolve this. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately I have not yet figured out how to solve the issues connected with the latest Photoshop CC update.  I'm on a a Mac running OS Catalina so it's not the issue's with Big Sur.  Since I had to get a school project done, I installed Photoshop 2020 and that is working for me.  Photoshop 2021 is still installed but had the same problem today as it did the last days.

Not exactly a solution, but a temporary work around until Adobe can fix this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 08, 2021 May 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.
I will try this. I will uninstall the latest CC version, and reinstall an earlier one that worked ok.
I am using Windows 10 with plenty of RAM and a fast processor, it used to work really well. So it is really frustrating.
Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 08, 2021 May 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again,

Just to let you know that I deleted the latest Photoshop CC, and loaded an older version, with exactly the same results as before.

So, I then loaded earliest version (v.21.2.7) available to me on my Creative Cloud Desktop, it appears to work perfectly now, so I will avoid any updates until I hear that Adobe have sorted out their issues with the newest versions.

Thanks again for the help.

Regards

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 09, 2021 May 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like we're paying a monthly subscription to troubleshoot their software

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 18, 2021 May 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And even the latest STILL doesn't fix the issue, so yes, customers are paying Adobe to reboot their machines constantly just to use their "flagship" product. Hilarious. Doesn't seem like anyone at the multi-billion dollar company cares, however. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 18, 2021 May 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a heads up that as of today, v 22.4 still exhibits the same issue (macOS 10.15.17 on a 2017 5k iMac with Radeon Pro 575 GPU)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2021 May 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all!

I have just had this issue resolved by Adobe, they took remote control of computer and change some of the library folders for photoshop, changing some of them to .old and deleting the preferences.

They also changed it so photoshop opens in Rosetta.

So if you need to contact adobe help through the creative cloud and let them take over your computer to resolve the issue.

My photoshop works fine now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running:

PS 22.4.1

macOS Catalina 10.15.7

I'm having all sorts of issues with PS crashing, getting hung up starting, and killing me as I have a project soon by the end of the week.

I tried unchecking the Use OpenCL in prefs, I think it opened a couple of times last night, but now I'm back to not being able to even open PS now, even with a computer reboot. 

Sounds like this issue has been going on for a month now with PS 22.3.1 and is still an issue in 22.4.1

Come on Adobe get your act together and sort this issue out

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got Adobe help for the issue today, tried a few things, but the only thing that worked was installing the older 22.3.1 version. There is something about 22.4.1 that needs a driver update for my 2015 iMac, that doesn't exist for Catalina.

The tech help said that if I updated to Big Sur the driver may be included with that. Worried about some of my software working on Big Sur, I'm happy enough, for now, to stay with PS 22.3.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 03, 2021 Sep 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FIX it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines