• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop crashes and freezes

Community Beginner ,
Jun 08, 2021 Jun 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whatever I try, which ever update I try, the latest PS will only start up with a beach ball and that ever since version 22.x

On a MBA 2020 Big Sur 11.4 I7 16GB

What I tried:

- deleted preferences

- uninstalled and reinstalled

- reverted to version 21.X well that worked but updating results in the same crash.

What to do next?

{Thread title edited by moderator}

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Jul 23, 2021 Jul 23, 2021

Hi all,

We're sorry for the crash issue. Take a look at the following troubleshooting article and try the first 6 simple steps that can help you resolve most of the crash and freeze issues with Photoshop:  Troubleshoot crash or freeze | Photoshop

If that doesn't help then, take a look at the other troubleshooting tips section.

Let us know your feedback.

Thanks,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Sep 24, 2021 Sep 24, 2021

I have students who are running into the same problems.

Does anyone know where I can find this script to run on a Windows PC?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 332 Replies 332
Community Beginner ,
Sep 10, 2021 Sep 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A small update from me from my May 13 reply where I captured my crash on Photoshop:

https://youtu.be/7S593i3ztd4

Basically I have done a few things. Switched from Photoshop to Affinity, much to my employers annoyance but it's the only way I can get work done.

It's very similar so was easy to transfer, the downside is no one else in the office uses it so we can't cross work over.... it's just about keeping me in a job as at one point it became dicey.

Anyway... since I stopped using Photoshop where it crashed as soon as I started work... the crashing has somewhat died down BUT it does still do it.

It even crashes when it is sitting with nothing open, just the desktop.... which then made me think how or why... well on Big Sur I had the "Light and Dark Desktop" where through out the day the desktop image changes with the time of day.

Since I turned that off it has made a conciderable difference. I can go a day without it crashing. But I do still get a crash, but it's more once in the day rather than so many I can't count and can't work.

I think Big Sur is incrediablly unstable and should not of been released. Clearly testing went out the window. (maybe pandemic related)
I think that certain apps like Photoshop do tend to aggrevate it more. And some of apples own applications do the same.

I tried so many different things that forums and apple support suggested but it did not make any difference for me.... because it is quite simply an Apple IOS issue. The only suggestion I didn't do was my own... lob the brand spanking new iMac out of my top floor flat window.

I know my photoshop to Affinitey will not work for you all, but the advice on the desktop "Light and Dark" change may help at least one of you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 13, 2021 Nov 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's crashing in ver 23 too.  I'm going back at least two revs until PS gets their head out. This is ridiculous.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2021 Dec 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently renewed my annual subscription and of course hoped that the problems with permanent locks would end. But, it seems to get worse with each new version that Adobe releases.
It started in February this year and I get no right side to it even though I followed all the solutions that Adobe published.
Now, for understandable reasons, I am very tired of this program!

Rgds

Åke

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 01, 2021 Dec 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Åke - I was experiencing all the same problems as you. But for whatever reason, I'm now running the latest (23.0.2), and all the problems seemed to have fixed themselves. So don't give up hope!  JR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2022 Jun 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a serious problem with Photoshop. Whenever I attempt to open moe than three photos in one batch, the program freezes and I must close the program. What gives. In my version at home, I open 10-12 files at a time with no issue, but my version at work constantly crashes. What gives?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 01, 2022 Jul 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

After well over a year of not using Photoshop... but continually looking to solve my problem I do have a positive outcome.

On this thread there does seem to be two issues,

Some have it where using photoshop crashes just photoshop.
Others have it where using Photoshop crashes the entire computer.

Mine is the latter.
The short version is that it appears to be the second monitor that I have plugged in.

The long version I’ll go into depth so it may help one of you out if you are having a similar problem.

My iMac is 5k, 27" 2020 model. Started off on big Sur and went onto Montery.
Please note the crashing happened under both IOS versions.

The second monitor is an 

Acer K242HL 24” (1920X1080) Full HD 60HZ - about 2 million pixels

Colour supported 16.7million

This monitor is connected via an Arktek VGA to USB-C connector, purchased off of Amazon.

Now what happened (if you can't find my original response) is that when using Photoshop it would crash the whole mac, complete shutdown and would take 2 minutes to start back up again.
It would be caused by minor work load that I was doing on Photoshop to cause it to crash…. sometimes just transforming the size of an image or using the healing tool.

I immediately focused on Photoshop being the problem.
I'd get a crash report from Apple come up upon restart of the computer. I usually just clicked "send report" and that was it.

I recently started to delve into what caused the crash by using the crash report (which just a load of code in my eyes) and I managed to find some helpful developers who suggested it was to do with the second monitor.

I disconnected the second monitor, restarted the computer and started using Photoshop. I used it all week and it didn’t crash once.
Good for me I hear you say. I'll keep writing about extra bits that have happened... as again, I think any small details could help someone else.

So I wondered if the fault was with the Amazon connector that I originally purchased. So I ordered the Belkin connector direct from Apple... it actually crashed less than the ARKTEK Amazon connector, about once every hour.... but it still crashed all the same.

So I wondered if it was the second monitor. So I needed to know the specifications of my mac.
If you want to check your Apple products specifications, you can do so by typing the serial number into tech specs:

https://support.apple.com/specs
You can get your serial number by clicking on the Apple icon (top left) > about this mac > copy and paste the serial number.

On the Tech page once you have entered your serial number the number of displays your Mac supports appears under Video Support or Graphics. More importantly it will tell you the specs it needs for one or two extra displays.

My spec says (in regards to what one additional display it can support):

• Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display at 1 billion colors and:  
    • One 6016-by-3384 (6K) external display at 60Hz with support for 1 billion colors
    • or
    • One 5120 by 2880 (5K) external display at 60Hz with support for 1 billion colors, or
  • Thunderbolt 3 digital video output
  • Native DisplayPort output over USB-C
  • Thunderbolt 2, HDMI, DVI, and VGA output supported using adapters (sold separately)

So in theory I should be able to use the second monitor by using my connector, but we know that in reality something is wrong.
In my opinion I will need to replace the second monitor with a lead that is USB-C to USB-C or USB-C to HDMI and have a monitor that is matching or at least close to matching 5k-6k. Realisically the price of those... which Apple sell (you can see what they are doing maybe), is to high for me. so i'll have to experiment with cheaper options.

But obviously this will cost money which I am reluctant to spend in the current climate. If I have a mate with the right spec I will borrow his and report back the findings.

I need to be clear that the second monitor works absolutely fine during non-photoshop work.
Over the year and half that I have had this issue, only a handful of times has the mac crashed with Photoshop not running… but with the second monitor still on.

I do wonder if the supported colour of 16.7 million (around 2 million pixels) on the Acer monitor is not enough for the mac to work with when using Photoshop, even with the correct connector. But it is also worth noting I never had Photoshop on the second monitor... I would have Photoshop on the mac and the second monitor was in use for excel, whatsapp and web pages. On the odd occasion Spotify.

So for me, Apple is the major problem... Photoshop is not really to blame in this scenario but is the catalyst for the crash.

So that is where I am up to. If you use a second monitor and Photoshop crashes the entire Mac... unplug it and give it a go on its own.
If anyone uses a second monitor and DOES NOT have a problem, please let me know the make, model and connection lead you use and I might be able to buy the same monitor and give it a go.

So for the time being, I will just disconnect the second monitor when I need to use Photoshop.

I'd like to add that I had tried many different suggested approaches beforehand, trying different versions of Photoshop and other suggestions from this thread and other forums.

If this thread helps at least one person I will be happy.
I'll keep you posted if I get a second monitor and it works.

Kind regards
Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2022 Aug 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've used PS from time to time w/ some problems to point of cancelling the program. However I recently reinstalled and decided to try again. The Program is crashing to point of no use at all. Simply put I believe Adobe PS has become so convoluted that memory/space /os simply cannot accomodate all the new changes/additions/modifications. Its a bit like when installing Windows 11 on an older system. I also believe that when modifications/changes/additions are made, programming cleanup is minimul if any. PS needs a total cleanup!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 21, 2022 Sep 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop 2022 Freezes Unexpectedly on Windows 10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines