• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CRASHES opening, Catalina 10.15.7

Contributor ,
May 03, 2021 May 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Usually everything works (mostly) like expected. Since a few days two odd things:

a) Photoshop works fine when the iMac is freshly booted, but keeps crashing immediatly whenever opened at a later time. b) Creative Cloud.app doesn't recognize installed apps, e.g. Illustator and InDesign are definitely installed, but keep showing as "Install (now)".

Tried:

- reset preferences

- uninstalled/reinstalled PS

- updated Catalina to latest version

- runnning iMac, Catalina 10.15.7, latest CS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Contributor , May 11, 2021 May 11, 2021

Adobe just confirmed that they know of the issue (which is related to its use of Open CL), but won't tell when or if a fix will become available. The only version that doesn't crash, according to Adobe, is 21.X.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Contributor , Jun 10, 2021 Jun 10, 2021

Update June 10th: current version 22.4.2 seems to be working for me. I can close and re/open PS, again. Preferences > Performance > "OPEN CL" is entirely greyed-out.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jul 23, 2021 Jul 23, 2021

If the crash was related to OpenCL and macOS, then what fixed it is not Photoshop 22.4.2, but Apple Security Update 2021-003. (The crash was caused by the previous Apple Security Update 2021-002.)

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you check to see if your Creative Cloud app had updates? There have been several over the last two weeks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thx, Kevin! Yes, indeed… happened after the latest or one of the latest updates. Did a complete swipe and fresh install of the entire CC suite a few minutes ago. Hope that'll be fixing this…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was wondering about the Creative Cloud desktop app itself.

The issue may not be with your CC applications but the connection to the Creative Cloud desktop app.

If you open the CC desktop app - does it mention there is an update to Creative Cloud available?

It's a big white window forcing you to do an internal update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was refferring to that! Yes, I ran those… current version is 5.4.5.549.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you get a crash report when PS crashes that you can attach or send here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hm… was pretty happy working with the fresh installation for a couple of hours now. Decided to quit PS and go read something. Coming back, restarting PS, same crahses as before.

Yes, can attach a report? Anything I need to obfuscate?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Crash report attached as txt-file…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 04, 2021 May 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alright… did another full wipe/uninstall with Adobes uninstaller (https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/uninstall-creative-cloud-desktop-app.html). Fresh reinstall. Same as before, freshly booted iMac works fine. Quitting and reopening PS at a later time crashes. I'm out of ideas… Adobe support wasn't very helpful unfortunately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Crash report states "Crashed Thread: 11 GPU Sniffer Launcher".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its your GPU - there is an issue with the latest PS and certain midrange GPUs.

Try installing the previous version of PS.

https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/using/install-previous-version.html 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Previous would be 22.3?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also: adjusting Preferences > Advanced Graphics Processor Settings to "Normal" instead of the default setting "Advanced" seems to fix it atm, no crashes restarting PS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would start there and work back. Since this is a more recent issue I would say yes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well… worked my way back 6 or 7 versions until 21.2.7. Didn't help. Brings me to the conclusion that this is not related to my specific GPU at all. Either something with CC or the latest macOS Security Update or more probably both hand in hand…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 05, 2021 May 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens if you go into Preferences/Performance and change the settings - turn off use Open CL?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Done already, of course! Thought this would be the (temporary) solution, but wasn't. It's working for a while, I can restart multiple times until it starts crashing again. Definitley still not sure what's causing it as I haven't been doing much beside some reading in Safari…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens if you turn the Use Graphics Processor completely off (uncheck)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 11, 2021 May 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then… Photoshop becomes unusably slow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue with 10.15.7. I uninstalled PS 2021 and reinstalled PS 2020 - works.

That being said, I really shouldn't have to pay for 2021 apps when they are not working. Your immediate attention to this matter is appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This only seems to be an issue with the most recent updates to PS 2021. You should be able to install an earlier version and have it work with your GPU.

Also this is a user to user forum.

The Photoshop feedback form managed by Adobe can be found here:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/ 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2021 May 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is what my IT Dept said: 

The new update breaks Photoshop because Adobe is using OpenCL for graphics somewhere in its code. Apple has replaced OpenCL with their latest graphics technology, Metal, and they require it for Mojave, Catalina, and Big Sur. So I’m guessing the fix will have to come from Adobe.

The only way I can currently use Photoshop is by running recovery to the OS on my iMac Pro and not running the Catalina security update. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 10, 2021 May 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is an option in Preferences /Performance to turn off use Open CL.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines