• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop crashing all of a sudden..Help!

Explorer ,
Mar 07, 2023 Mar 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using LR and PS on my PC for about three years. Being high spec with a 2080 Super graophics card and 32gb of fast RAM, Ive never had a problem using both LR and PS together, even while streaming youtube in a chrome window on a seperate monitor at the same time.

Now, out of nowhere, even while making a simple brush stroke on an image, I get a messge in PS stating I dont have enough RAM to complete the task...

If that message doesnt show PS simply crashes my PC or half crashes and I have to restart my pc manually.

I have looked at various youtube and forum ideas such as

Re installing PS

Installing a previous version of PS that did work

Updating the two plugins I have in PS

Resetting Preferences

Increasing the RAM usuage in prefernces to 100%

None make any difference. My pc,windows and drivers are all up to date.

The only thing Ive NOT done is when uninstalling PS I get a message askling if I want to delete the alerts, notifications and plugins etc, as I dont want to lose my workspace and Plugins

On my Task Manager when using Chrome, Lr and editing in PS its shows im using 62% of Ram, so Im not sure why this is happening.

I even ran the windows 10 Ram diagnostics and all my RAM is good!

Can anyone suggest how I can fix this? I need PS back for work asap!

Thank you!

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've looked for crash reports in your account that you've signed in to the community with, but I couldn't find any.

Thanks for sharing the details you've already shared. Could you please share the system info of Photoshop from Help > System info > Copy & paste into a text document > upload to Creative Cloud files (https://assets.adobe.com/files) and share here?

Try this workaround that we used for a legacy issue: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/invalid-numeric-entry-integer-96-8-required-photoshop.html

Photoshop 2023: Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Adobe\Photoshop\170.0

Follow the steps from within the article shared above & use 32768 for 32 GB.

Let me know if this helps. Thanks!

Sameer K

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the reply!

I have done the workaround as described and PS still crashes my Pc. I have also noticed today that LR is a little slow and has also crashed the pc, but this was after PS froze and I force closed it.

I have sent the System info to the link supplied. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also I'd just like to state that LR is crashing/freezing my pc then crashing while editing images now

Just to add -

In Creative Cloud everything is up to date

I have checked all my ssd drives and they are all in good health.

Double checked the drivers for graphics card are latest

I use Geforce Experience with drivers set to studio, also up to date

Everything else on my pc runs great, including gaming.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Alex 12 did the message specifically said RAM or "memory"? It could be lack of HD space - what do you have allocated in Photoshop Preferences/Scratch Disk?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin,

I have a few very fast ssd's with plenty space. My scratch disk is a 512gb Nvme drive that has 350gb free 

PS has always worked so fast, no idea whats changed.

Sometimes the message displays and says not enough RAM. Sometimes it just crashes, sometimes the image im working on overlaps itself hundreds of times around the screen and sometimes the images PS displays while opening are now infront of my image and it freezes, then crashes my pc. 

Kind of freaking out as I have a new website launing tomorrow and need to edit images for it! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Alex 12 as for the "freaking out" try going to Preferences/Technology Preview and check "Disable Native Canvas" that should handled that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I'll do that, thanks

Now my LR is crashing too, the freaking out continues 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Alex 12 go to Photoshop Help Menu/System Info and copy/paste the details. It will give us a better understanding of what could be going on. Reply only once - the forum takes time to process such a large post so be patient.

Also where are your files located?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @kevin stohlmeyer . Ok thank you, noted

Please see attached System Info

My files are located on a dedicated 4tb internal ssd, the catalogue is on the main C drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ACK! Never (emphasis) set your Photoshop memory usage under Preferences/Performance to 100%!

That means if PS cannot find 100% of the allocated memory (in use by something else) your bricked.

Change the setting back to default 70%.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I've done that. That has been at 70% until yesterday after seeing the suggestion on many forums etc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it's still crashing you can try resetting your preferences - go to Preferences/General and reset (it will restart PS). Set your scratch disk back up and see if it improved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 09, 2023 Mar 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have done these steps a few times but tried again just now.

I thought it was working ok until I flattened the layers and It crashed everything.

I was watching my Task manager and it was only at 65% RAM (LR open and Chrome playing a video)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 09, 2023 Mar 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you submitted your Photoshop Help Menu/System Info per @Sameer K ? If you have, only reply once - the system takes time to process such a large reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 10, 2023 Mar 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did submit the sytem info to @Sameer K ,yes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing this. The attached system info reflects few things:

• You have at least three third-party plugins active in Photoshop.
    Try holding the SHIFT key while launching Photoshop to skip loading plugins.
    Test how it goes with & without the plugins.
  • The GPU driver for the Nvidia RTX 2080 on your device is a month old & specifically
    31.0.15.2849 - Translates to 528.49

This GPU driver mainly had some bad reports between January & Feb. Try updating the GPU drivers from
    Nvidia GeForce.

If the above steps don't help, disable the G-sync on your monitors in the Nvidia Control panel. This is a legacy step, worth a shot.

Let me know how it goes. Thanks!
Sameer K

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! Thank you for the reply

I tried opening without plugins, leaving PS open then opening LR and sending an image to PS (like I always do) I can work a little on it but it crashes either everything or just PS.

I downloaded the new Studio and Game drivers in Gefore experience, restarted but no difference. It crashes within a few minutes of editing.

A new PS update literally just came out today (24.2.1)  I installed that with high hopes, edited an image and saved it back into LR no problem. Tried it with another from LR to PS and it froze my pc instantley. 

Watching the task manager RAM was at 55% which is an improvement but cpu while loading the image from LR to PS was at 100% before freezing. No idea if thats useful information.

I have disabled g sync, I have two monitors and my photography editing monitor does not use this but it made no difference. Still crashing everything.

I have also noticed LR is slower than it usually is, zooming into an image, loading etc takes a little longer, sluggish.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Alex, try rolling back your drivers to the November 2022 releases.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 12, 2023 Mar 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin, Ok on the Nvidia website the furthest back I could go was early december release. I installed the Game and Studio version. Opened an image from LR to PS, made a layer with an adjustment and it crashed.

Just installed the new Geforce drivers released today and the same is happening. 

Over the past few days crashes usually make PS go black or half of it and the image vanishes

One time an error box said not enough memory(Ram) to save

Another time as per attached file.

In Task manager RAM is sitting at 70-75% when LR, PS and chrome are open playing a video

Im using these three Apps open as a base line as its always been fast without issues

All other important drivers are up to date on the pc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 13, 2023 Mar 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Sameer K 

I now cant open an image in PS from LR without it saying there is not enough RAM.

I have been forced to order 64GB of RAM now but 32GB has always been enough the past few years with no issues. I checked the health of my current RAM and its 100%

I am really needing to sort work for clients can you help please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Alex 12 only run the Studio drivers, not the gaming.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I only found this out recentley and switched to Studio. The past two years this has been on Game Drivers but with no issues. Thanks again Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a test, try booting up the Windows system in Safe mode & test using Photoshop.

This is unusual behavior & if safe mode does not help fix this, would you mind reaching us via chat/call support channels so our product team can provide you with 1:1 assisted support using remote support options? Visit this page to initiate a chat from the chat bubble on the right corner of the page: https://adobe.ly/3GDuodt

Thanks!

Sameer k

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 21, 2023 Mar 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello, sorry for the delay ive been away for a few days.

So I bought 64gb of RAM and everything seems to be working ok. Still though in Task Manager RAM usage can be up to 60% while LR and PS are both open! I used to use these programs just fine with 16GB!

I dont know if its relevant but - is it normal for CPU to be at 100% while creating previews after an import or also opening PS? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines