• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CS4 crashing

New Here ,
May 23, 2023 May 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've read into some fixes, nothing working so far. I have windows 10. Computer 4 1/2 years old. Rarely use photoshop these days but everything just fine until today. 5/23/2023. Last loadup about 4 weeks ago. Photoshop crashes 4 seconds after launch and does not state reason. Flexnet services was indeed off, turned it back on... No Go... Suggestions anyone?? 🙂

Thanx!

John Moss

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to hear this @John5D2A we can only suggest to rollback to whatever version worked before as this version of Ps was released in 2008 and not fully supported anymore.

https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/using/install-previous-version.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for responding Cory but there is no rollback here... This has worked perfectly fine on this computer for years, last use 4 weeks ago. Now crashing... I am not a professional, just use on occasion. Forgive me, but this makes the second  "Oh Well it's so old it just died" response. No it did not. Something has been installed and I intend to find what,  who, why, and take action. Respectfully I do understand inherencies in hardware updates & corresponding discrepencies there-to in software interactions... In this case, this is a same computer, no changes to hardware, only changes are windows updates. So... If I may... What or Who do you think is responsible for this? Microsoft generates a report when there is a crash. Nothing of the sort here. This in my opinion is Adobe generated security measure? I am the original and sole user of this software bought and paid for, roughly $1500.00 as I recall for the CS4 suite. Again, pardon my annoyance here, but what 'support' is needed if no changes to hardware?  At this stage and long ago for that matter I most certainly would not be expecting updates to it. But to die on start-up... Uh uh... I want to know why and how to resolve... Respectfully my question stands sir... What is responsible for this?

-John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@John5D2A 

Since you are using CS4, you don't want to roll back to a previous version, as the activation servers have been shut down for CS2, CS3, and CS4. If you uninstall CS4, you will not be able to reactivate.

https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/activation-deactivation-help.html

Instead, you can try resetting Preferences to see whether or not that helps.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jane, thank you for a straight answer :)... Seriously... Only problem is the system dies so fast I can't even get to preferences... If I may, do you know when these servers were shut down? My most recent use was like 4 weeks ago. No problems... This suite was bought & paid for back in the day. There has never been a subscription. I still have my activation license info...

JM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @John5D2A 

I don't remember when the activation servers were shut down, but it was several years ago. Cory is staff and he may have that information. What I do know is that you will never be able to activate CS4 again, as the activation servers no longer exist.

There are two ways to reset Preferences in Creative Suite. Quit Photoshop first.

• Hover three fingers over Ctrl+Alt+Shift
    Launch Photoshop
    Immediately press and hold those three keys
    You will see a dialog asking if you want to reset preferences if you did it correctly
    The timing is tricky — you have 1/10 of a second between launching PS and pressing the keys

• The second is manual. If you delete the Preferences file, it will recreate itself when you relaunch. If you have customizations that you have not backed up, you can rename the file instead of deleting it so you can restore it. 
    Details here:
    https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html

Note that resetting through the Preferences dialog won't be available to you in CS4, so ignore that part.

Since you didn't change your hardware or CS4, the only other variable is Windows OS. Did it do an update? I'm on macOS and Mac shut us out a long time ago. Windows will eventually if it hasn't already.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sound Counsel, Thank you mam'm... Yeah I do understand you can only maintain support for a non-revenue producing product for so long... No worries there. Other CS4 components have died like Dreamweaver for example, and necessarily so :)... Photoshop is a rather perfunctory task, so it's been just dandy for my needs... In the mean I've run a process monitor sequence and have several Access Denied lines to the registry... If you've any suggestions on who to send it to, by all means please... In the moment I shall attempt your fix. Thank you for your time & consideration :)...

John Moss 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In furtherance, no... No changes to OS. Also I did your reset successfully. Ixney... I've run & tested compatiblilty mode also and went as far back as Windows Vista; to no avail. I also restored the registry to a previous known good operating environment, no avail... I'm quite confident ATJ this is not a microsoft issue or other software entanglement. I need to hunt down an Adobe skilled tech to read the process monitor. Trying to attach it here but system won't accept the file. I can keep Photoshop alive on a restarted system but, specifically, after roughly 20 seconds, or on first press of any command inside the Photoshop, screen simply shuts down and gives no reason why... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 31, 2023 May 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

... to read the process monitor. Trying to attach it here but system won't accept the file.

By @John5D2A

Can you save it as a .txt file? If so, you can attach the file in a Reply window.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does it open in Safe Mode?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Negative sir... Generates Error 148.3 "Licensing for this product has stopped working"

JM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 31, 2023 May 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if that's a red herring from using Safe Mode, but an old thread suggests running this tool to fix a problem with a similar error message:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/error-code-148-3-photoshop-cs4-for-wi...

https://www.adobe.com/support/contact/licensing.html

No idea if running this is still a good idea now that the activation servers have been nuked - messing with licensing might do something irreversible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And publicly, thank you coryShubert, I did send off the email...

JM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines