• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CS5 quits in High Sierra when I hit print.

Explorer ,
Nov 19, 2021 Nov 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all. I am running Photoshop CS5 (still) and today, for some reason, it just stopped working when I hit print. It just shuts down completely. I updated all my Epson Software (Epson WF-4630) and restarted but that did not work. Does anyone have any advice on how I can fix this issue? Right now, I can export to PDF and print but that makes no sense that I have to do that... Any solutions out there ?

Thank you.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try trashing your Photoshop preferences. Press and hold Option+Command+Shift (Mac OS) immediately after launching Photoshop. You will be prompted to delete the current settings.

(Mac OS only) Open the Preferences folder in the Library folder*, and drag the Adobe Photoshop CS Settings folder to the Trash.

Any better? 

You might need to reset CUPs if that doesn't work, but try it first and let us know. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. I did the first part. I held down the three you suggest then chose Delete the current settings. At this point, it still carshes.

Which of these files do I trash ?

Thank you for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See:

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/reset-printing-system-mac-solve-a-problem-mh14001/mac

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope. That did not work. I reset the printer and restarted and still, photoshop crashes right away.

Any other suggestions ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try logging into another account (you may need to make one), still crashing? 
Try starting up in Safe mode (hold down Shift Key when booting), still crashing? 
You might want to try running a free utility like Onyx: still crashing? 
https://www.titanium-software.fr/en/onyx.html
Also view:
https://www.macworld.com/article/352902/onyx-review-macos.html
https://www.macworld.com/article/224955/how-to-reset-a-macs-nvram-pram-and-smc.html
From Adobe:
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/basic-troubleshooting.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is your photoshop cs5 updated to 12.0.4?

You can tell in photoshop by going to Help>System Info and the top line is the Photoshop Versiom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. 12.0 x64.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I have never heard of Onyx. I have downloaded it now. Do I simply run maintenance?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@steveroper wrote:

So I have never heard of Onyx. I have downloaded it now. Do I simply run maintenance?

Yes, run that, reboot (or better, shut down then reboot). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In photoshop cs5 go to Help>Updates and see if that gets you the 12.0.4 update which fixes some printing issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks but it says - Photoshop 12.0.4 update for Photoshop CS5. There was an error downloading this update. Please quit and try again later.

About a month ago I updated to High Sierra and until today, everything seemed to be working.  It's frustrating because I'm not a techie. I don't know how to run diagnostic stuff. That said, I've been working in Photoshop for 25 years and this is the first time I've had a problem like this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@steveroper wrote:

About a month ago I updated to High Sierra and until today, everything seemed to be working.  It's frustrating because I'm not a techie. I don't know how to run diagnostic stuff. That said, I've been working in Photoshop for 25 years and this is the first time I've had a problem like this. 

Keep in mind that Photoshop CS5 was finished and released in 2010, seven years before Apple released macOS 10.13 High Sierra, in 2017. Seven years is a long time in the technology world. It was around that point that a lot of CS5 software became increasingly unreliable because macOS had changed too much around it. If you were to upgrade to any newer versions of macOS, it is unlikely that you will be able to continue using Photoshop CS5. If in the future you buy a new Mac that runs only macOS 12.0 or later, it will be impossible to run Photoshop CS5 due to major changes Apple made to Macs and macOS between 2017 and 2021, mostly to get software ready for fast, efficient Apple Silicon processors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Conrad. Thank you. Yes, I am aware of all those things. Bascially, I am hoping to get another year os so out of my Mac before I have to upgrade and also start subscribing to Creative Cloud. I know my time is running out. I just want Photoshop top print until then 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can download the photoshop 12.0.4 updater from here:

https://download.adobe.com/pub/adobe//photoshop/mac/cs5/AdobePhotoshop12-4-mul-AdobeUpdate.dmg

If it won't install you may have to follow the directions here under Creative Suite 5.5, 5, and 4

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/install-creative-suite-mac-os-sierra.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff... do I just run the Patch Installer? See my attachment please.

Are there any potentials backfires in updating? 

I'm nervous because I know my CS5 has about run it's course but I want to at least keep it as functional as possible. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There shouldn't be any worries.

Yes just right click on the AdobePatchInstaller and then click Open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 29, 2021 Nov 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff. I tried but it says; 

“AdobePatchInstaller” can’t be opened. You should eject the disk image.

Then as far as trying to mount the entire Creative Suite 5 CD, I just dont want to lose access to the software as yet and am too nervous to try that. I may contact Adobe and see if they could help me next. I have started to work around printing directly from Photoshop by exporting a pdf and printing form that when I ned to. Not perfect but it works...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 29, 2021 Nov 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Follow the directions here under Creative Suite 5.5, 5, and 4:

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/install-creative-suite-mac-os-sierra.html

That is, right click on the AdobePatchInstaller.app and select Show Package Contents

patch1.png

Then go to Contents > MacOS and drag the AdobePatchInstaller to the Terminal window and press Enter, which should open the updater dialog.

patch2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines