• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CS6 and Mac Sierra

Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2017 Apr 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop CS6 just had an update but it didn't fix the compatibility with Mac Sierra.

Photoshop crashes whenever you try to do anything.

Is there going to be an update from Adobe to resolve this issue???

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 04, 2017 Apr 04, 2017

CS6 did not just have an update, not will it to address this.  It has been unsupported for a while now and there are hundreds of posts on this forum explaining the same.

Mac OS Sierra will not work with Photoshop CS6, both companies note that it is not recommended or supported in the current MacOS.

You have two choices, you can either downgrade your OS to a compatible Mac OS for CS6, or upgrade your software to CC which is built for Sierra.

Sorry.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jun 08, 2017 Jun 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's the beta of High Sierra?

Do you know if your using the Journaled HFS+ file system or the new Apple File System (APFS)?

Apple menu>About This Mac>System Information>Storage and look for File System.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, beta

APFS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's interesting since there has been some question on the forums as to whether photoshop cs6 would work with the new APFS file system.

Your experience is certainly useful info to that end.

Did you install photoshop cs6 after installing High Sierra?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed it on Sierra and then updated to High Sierra.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 05, 2017 Sep 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You installed it on a hard drive or an SSD?

I ask, because, High Sierra applies APFS to SSDs and actually leaves hard drives untouched (=HFS+)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2017 Nov 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using CS6 for several years, worked without problems under Sierra. Now, after upgrading to High Sierra, I get the message: One or more files in the Adobe Application Support folder, necessary for running Photoshop, are missing.  Please run the Photoshop installer and re-install Photoshop.

The other software (ID, AI, DW, Acrobat) work fine.

Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My point exactly. CS6 is six years old. Apple support stopped a very long time ago, but until now it has basically worked just by pure luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I had known upgrading to HS would break PS, I wouldn't have done it. Now, if reinstalling PS doesn't work, I'll have to go through the hassle of going back to Sierra. I'll be darned if I'm going to spend $50 per month to rent software. If they were to rent (at a reasonable price) just PS, AI, DW and AC, I'd jump for it. But, they won't, I'm sure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 03, 2017 Dec 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have High Serra. For some reason Photoshop CS6 is no longer on my computer. I waited over two hours to chat with someone at Adobe who gave me a link to a fresh download. However it won't install and I get an error message when I try installing. The message tells me to download Adobe Support Advisor but when I try that I'm told that application is no longer available. Certainly Photoshop CC is more powerful and has many new features, however I'm tired of paying a monthly fee for something I only use occasionally. Perhaps it's time to with to Luminar and/or OnOne Raw.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2017 Dec 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went back to Sierra and back to PS CS6 and it works like a charm. To my surprise PS CC turned out a lot slower on my 2017 27" iMac.

Besides I still have PS CS4 and CS5 installed as well and although there are some quirks they do work too.

For my illustration work CS6 has all I need 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 31, 2017 Oct 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated MacBook Pro Mid 2010 to High Sierra yesterday. OS Version 10.13. In system report -> Storage I see that my file system is "Journaled HFS+". I'd like to buy CS6 product and I hope that it will work on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where are you planning to buy CS6 from? It's ancient software and Adobe no longer sells it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was thinking eBay.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see. I'm still thinking.

The seller on eBay told me that he deactivated license and he could transfer license to my Adobe ID upon request. I'm still not sure if eBay covers me as as buyer. Anyway I eBay covers buyers against counterfeit products. I hope this should include software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@John Waller: **Where are you planning to buy CS6 from? It's ancient software and Adobe no longer sells it.**

Because of Adobe's pricing strategies. For non-professional users CC is not affordable (about 3600 Euro in 5 years).

On my Mac (with High Sierra) CS6 is still working. On my Surface all Adobe apps have been deleted

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

teorema67_  wrote

Because of Adobe's pricing strategies. For non-professional users CC is not affordable (about 3600 Euro in 5 years).

Whoah there. Pick up your calculator again! The photography plan is about 10 EUR a month, 120 a year, 600 in five years.

If you're referring to the full CC plan, all apps, that's 43 EUR a month, 516 a year, 2580 in five years.

Back in the day, the full master suite cost considerably more than 2580 EUR, in fact it was about 40% more IIRC. And during those five years, you would need to purchase no less than two upgrades, almost doubling the price.

Why do people hate subscription so much? I don't get it. It can't be the money - we've shown over and over again that the subscription model, over a realistic period of time, is less expensive, not more expensive. It has to be something else, but what?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need ID too. For me in Germany the bill is about 60 Euro a month:

Unbenannt.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, OK. I read USD and not EUR. My bad.

My point still stands. You'll still come out ahead after 5 years, even without considering upgrades. Do you actually remember how insanely expensive those suites were? I had the master suite, and my life revolved around getting the money together for upgrade time. I literally had to put money aside each month - knowing that only bought me an 18-month window until the next round. So no, you're not getting any nostalgia from me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess if you buy CS6 you don't need to upgrade it anymore

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

monkeybliz  wrote

I guess if you buy CS6 you don't need to upgrade it anymore

Oh yes, you most certainly do. Good luck running CS6 in the latest Mac OS version. Apple has a history of dropping legacy support without notice, and CS6 may easily be completely dead by the next Apple update.

If you're a photographer, ACR in CS6 is already so far behind that you're completely out of the loop.

If you're dead set on sticking to CS6, that means deep-freezing your whole system. No more upgrades of anything, ever.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I'm a bit suspicious about Mac.

What about Windows platforms?

For instance, I'm using Win7 for years. Don't see a reason to move to Win10 etc. And I can even run that free to use old Photoshop CS2 or CS3 that was available to download for free. Maybe it's still available too.

I'm amateur photographer and I don't make money by doing photography, but I only pay for subscription now. So I was also thinking to switch to Lightroom 6 as an alternative. You pay $149 and that's it. Yes, it's less advanced, but still allows to edit photos.

Also I upload my personal videos on Youtube and I think that paying for Premiere and Photoshop it's tooooo much for amateurs. Thus I'm currently looking to get CS6 for Windows platform or get an alternative product.

I have Macbook Pro 2010 with 8Gb ram etc which I just updated to High Sierra. All this uncertainty makes me search for alternatives. I guess I'm not only one in such boat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@D Fosse: **Do you actually remember how insanely expensive those suites were?**

On my Mac I did use CS2 Standard for 5 years. About 1400 or 1700 Euro, don't remember exactly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's no Design Standard plan to compare with now, so that's moot.

Anyway, this discussion isn't really going anywhere. If you want to stay with a six-year old version, that's your choice. On Windows you can probably get away with that for a while longer. As a Mac user, however, you should be concerned about the future, because Apple isn't very concerned about the past.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

monkeybliz  wrote

I just updated MacBook Pro Mid 2010 to High Sierra yesterday. OS Version 10.13. In system report -> Storage I see that my file system is "Journaled HFS+". I'd like to buy CS6 product and I hope that it will work on it.

Solid State drives are the only one converted to APFS by default, regular hard drives and I think Fusion drives stay HFS+.

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines