• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CS6 - Could not complete your request because it's not the right kind of document

Explorer ,
Aug 10, 2021 Aug 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm in trouble.  I need help.

I have archived a copy of camera raw, along with the processed jpgs/tifs, onto an internal drive. These files are from 2010.  I use a SATA cable to read the drive from my PC.

I took a look at the drive the other day, and it showed the folder structure, but when I opened Bridge to look at the files, the thumbnails were all essentially blank.  A tiny rectangle/square, and the file name was intact, but showed 0 bytes.  I got this message when trying to open it in Bridge (I have Photoshop CS6).

I could not read the files in a Windows file viewer, either.

I have administrator rights to the drive, as I understand this might be an issue.

I'm having trouble believing that every file is corrupted, but I'm at a loss to know what to do.

I did some searching on the community board, and I may have missed something about it.  However, if you could provide some assistance, I would appreciate it very much.

This year's drive contained images from my first grandchild, so they are very important.

It's one thing to have a corrupted file, but to show 0 bytes on the file must mean something else.

Thanks very much.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Try a Google search how to recover 0 byte jpg files

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Sorry to hear about the images you're facing issues with. If the files show up with a file size of 0 bytes then that would indicate that the operating system is not able to read any data in the files. This mostly happens due to file corruption when the data related to a file is lost due to bad sectors in a hard drive leaving behind just the empty file.

If you have other files/data on the drive which you are able to access, I would recommend taking a back up of that data for safe keeping as bad sectors (especially a mechanical hard drive) may be a sign of a failing drive. You can try using a data recovery service to see if you're able to recover the damaged/corrupted files.

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 11, 2021 Aug 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tips.

I looked closely at the YouTube that described removing the SYSMWIN.  There is conflicting information about this procedure.

First, is it SYSMWIN, or SYSWIN?  Both are listed.

I did a regedit search and could not find the HKEY_CLASSES_BOOT.  There is a HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT. (I'm just following the directions, but you can see why this is confusing to me.  I'm not enough of a computer wizard to know whether I've gotten the correct method).

I searched this entry with both small case and upper case SYSWIN and SYSMWIN and found nothing.

I searched the other HKEY entries the same way, and found nothing.

I searched both SYSMWIN and SYSWIN on the C drive, and there were no such files on the drive.

I'm going to try a recovery software and see what happens.

This is all so puzzling and frustrating.  I can see the file names, along with their extensions, but all show 0 bytes.  Even videos are showing 0 bytes.

Thanks again.

Alan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 11, 2021 Aug 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Instructions that can't give the correct registry name are worthless. Bin them. To be honest, I'd look for help with this, unless you know how to restore your system if you mess up the registry and can no longer boot. And a lot of the advice in Google looks frankly dodgy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 19, 2021 Aug 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I tried EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard to restore the files.  It didn't work.  It could recover deleted files, but the zero bytes could not be recovered or repaired.  EaseUS's website said that it could recover these, but apparently not.  When I contacted them, they confirmed that the software couldn't recover such files.

Anyway, I'm done trying for now.  Thanks for the tips.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines