• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CS6 not opening in Big Sur update for Mac

Explorer ,
Dec 03, 2020 Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had Photoshop CS6 installed on my iMac when it was running High Sierra. It ran smoothly for every update through Catalina. With the most recent Update (Big Sur), it will not open. There is a hack, where you "Show Package Contents" for the CS6.app, then go to Contents > MacOS > click on Adobe Photoshop CS6 and just disregard the error notices that pop up, close them and this opens Photoshop. The video I watched worked in Catalina, but when I tried it with the Big Sur update...it showed different popup messages and the only choice was to leave "terminal" open (if terminal was closed, the whole operation closed). Photoshop opened after closing the pop ups, but I was left with a spinning ball and it never ended. Therefore the hack didn't work for Photoshop in the Big Sur update. Does anyone have any solution to this and if not, does anyone know if there will be any attempt to make CS6 et al work in Big Sur? Any advice or information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Dec 03, 2020 Dec 03, 2020

>>>Does anyone have any solution to this and if not, does anyone know if there will be any attempt to make CS6 et al work in Big Sur?

Regrettably, there is no solution for Big Sur and CS6 will never be updated to run on Big Sur.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Jan 09, 2021 Jan 09, 2021

Truth be told, I found an expert who was able to get Adobe CC 2020 to work perfectly with Big Sur, so I'm sticking with what I know for the time being. I'm a digital artist working with Corel Painter software and usually use Photoshop in a limited capacity (mostly composition functions) prior to painting with Corel. The Photoshop software I am using now may or may not work with higher versions of mac IOS, but I plan on staying with Big Sur indefinitely or as long as practicable.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2021 Jan 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would I need to purchase additional licenses to use on more than one
computer? And will the price stay the same if using both windows and MAC?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use it on two machines, and the license is cross-platform. So you'll be fine.

Actually, you can install on as many machines as you like, but you can only be signed in on two of them at the same time. If you try to sign in on a third, you'll be offered to sign out from one of the others. So it's a very streamlined system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 20, 2021 Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all for support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are allowed two active seats per license - they are Mac/PC agnostic.

Pricing is not dependent on system.

Find out more here:

https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/plans.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsoGkyKWm7gIVAr7ACh1CxAHgEAAYAiAAEgL... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 14, 2021 Jul 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That means the $ 699 you spent on CS 6 is just stolen by Adobe. And now they expect you to pay $ 10 per month? I think they are thieves.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 15, 2021 Jul 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That means the software works with the correct hardware and OS at the time of it's release which is over 9 years ago. 

Do you expect cars to continue to have 8-track players installed in newer models?

Or if you want an 8 track player, do you keep your current car or modify one to support it?

You can keep your computer as it was when you installed and not upgrade to keep the software valid and useful.

But don't complain when you upgrade your hardware or OS to a modern version and expect 9+ year old software to run, especially when its been clear for years that there is an EOL and no more support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 25, 2021 Mar 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I revert to Mojave from the recent update to big sur? I need my CS6! 

Thanks for your help. PS: Did it work for you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 25, 2021 Mar 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/downgrade-macos-3581872/ 

Here are some directions - they don't make it easy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 20, 2021 Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have found a terminal work around! I am not sure if there are any stability issues as I have not tested this long term. As of now, however, the app opens up great and seems to be working perfectly for me! 

Finder>>
Applicstions>>
Adobe Photoshop CS6 folder>>
RIGHT click inactive CS6 app icon>>
Show Package Contents>>
Contents>>
MacOS>>
Adobe Photoshop CS6 (terminal icon)

... wait ...

Give permission for Terminal to control your computer. CS6 should be open!

If you close the terminal window you'll get a warning that all applications running in the terminal will close. So minimize the Terminal, don't close it! 

I'm not an expert so if there are reasons this won't be a good long term solution please let me know! Always in "learn" mode when it comes to tech! Hope this helps!

7104587C-8041-4B85-9FB3-A7ECCA591BAF.jpeg

83D0E820-2AEF-4FDC-A60D-B05B1538F7D3.jpeg

B4443B19-4DF4-4CE1-B022-F5DEC14D75A6.jpeg

 

07978B5F-605E-4540-B096-9C25B9477C60.jpeg

  

1AA9624A-C250-4AD2-9E41-8AAAEC053935.jpeg

7085FB0A-9C2F-431A-9416-36FC4DE7D38E.jpeg

 

70E31B70-580A-4941-922F-417EB0B91964.jpeg

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2021 Jan 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will try this. Up until now I have been nervous to upgrade the OS. When I bought CS6 it was £600 and there was no mention of an expiry date ....... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, were you using Big Sur when you performed these steps? If you did, then
that means I will need to upgrade my IMAC. I'm using Mojave. I had to
downgrade from Big Sur to Mojave to use my CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 24, 2021 Jan 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

did you see the response below ? Sorry I meant to reply to you specifically!

"Right, I think if you already have Big Sur, you can't install fresh. I know
for sure this works for those of us who already had CS6 and upgraded to Big
Sur. BUT I would venture to say it may work for other Mac OS updates that
"broke" CS6 being that it's a terminal command?! That's my hope, at least.
I'd love to hear if this solution fixes broken CS6 in other Mac OS updates."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to be clear, there is no expiration date on CS6. What expired it was macOS. CS6 still works today on the system versions it supports on Mac, and still works in Windows. It only stopped working in the latest versions of macOS because of changes Apple had to do to make the transition to the new fast, efficient, affordable Apple Silicon Macs.

I own perpetual licenses for similarly old versions of  applications by Microsoft, Ableton, and Apple itself (old version of Final Cut Pro) that will also not run on recent versions of macOS because they don’t meet the tighter new requirements, and those old versions will never be updated again. I own the licenses forever, but macOS moved too far forward so the applications no longer work. For all of the examples above, the fix is to pay for the current version.

I’m not saying I like it. But that’s how it is. Every one of those companies, including Adobe, upgraded their applications to work on the latest versions of macOS. None of them did it for free.

Also: The tips shown are for getting CS6 to start up on Big Sur if it is already installed (because an existing installation was upgraded to Big Sur). I do not think they help if CS6 has to be installed on Big Sur; for example, when buying a new Mac. If for any reason CS6 needs to be installed from scratch, I don’t think there is a way to get the installer itself to run.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 23, 2021 Jan 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right, I think if you already have Big Sur, you can't install fresh. I know
for sure this works for those of us who already had CS6 and upgraded to Big
Sur. BUT I would venture to say it may work for other Mac OS updates that
"broke" CS6 being that it's a terminal command?! That's my hope, at least.
I'd love to hear if this solution fixes broken CS6 in other Mac OS updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2021 Feb 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, going to try this. It's a shame. I'd be more than happy to purchase a new version of the software, but there's no chance I'll ever support rental software. I'll go elsewhere. Wonder how many other customers Adobe has lost since switching to subscription only?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 04, 2021 Feb 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wonder how many other customers Adobe has lost since switching to subscription only?

Look at Adobe's financials and you will find a gain in customers since the subscription model was introduced not a loss, particularly since the Photography Plan was released giving Photoshop and Lightroom for less than the cost of Photoshop alone.

Back in 2011 Photoshop CS5 Extended was $999*.  The current Photography plan is $9.99 a month and comes with Lightroom. That means running the software for over 8 years before the old perpetual version is cheaper. Most people updated their software well within that period, to take advantage of new cameras and new functions, so for them the subscription model which includes all updates to the latest versions is cheaper.

*Source : https://prodesigntools.com/products/adobe-cs5-price-sheet.html

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 04, 2021 Feb 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@melindah1697582 wrote:

Wonder how many other customers Adobe has lost since switching to subscription only?

Adobe probably lost thousands of customers who did not want to pay for a subscription. That is understandable; I try to limit the number of subscriptions in my own life and I’m about to quit Netflix because they’re raising the monthly fee again, while the content I really want to watch has moved elsewhere.

Adobe made a business decision. They knew very well that they would lose thousands of customers who were anti-subscription. But what they bet on was possibly gaining tens of thousands of customers. If they were right, it would be well worth it. Turns out they were right: Since switching to subscription, Adobe revenues and their stock price have gone up at a much higher rate than before, increasing every year since the switch.

The nice thing is that for those who refuse to subscribe, there are many photo editing alternatives today. They cost less than Photoshop, and they run much better on current computers than Photoshop CS6 because their code is up to date. If you don’t actually need the exact current feature set of Photoshop, there are many choices out there that are cheap or free, and some of those compete very well with Photoshop CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 07, 2021 Feb 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for doing the workaround.  That's what we all need, workaround options. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2021 Aug 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem now you will not be able to use the photoshp window you open, nothing works because Libarary path is missing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 16, 2021 Apr 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you're an artist/designer/coder (pro or hobby) and you can't make the monthly (€ 60,49 including VAT, or US$ 52.99, for a 12 month commitment) from sites like for example 99designs, Toptal, Peopleperhour, Dribbble, Linkedinprofinder, Designhill, Fiverr, Guru, Upwork, Creative Market, Graphic River, Photodune, Mojomarketplace, Designcrowd, Brandcrowd, Freelancer, Workana, etc, etc, etc, then you should reconsider the direction that you're going. Or maybe quit altogether.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Who said anything about not being able to make that money Robert. That's a very arogant statement.

Some people have other costs and priorities in their lives and it doesn't take much to push their financial commitments over the edge. 

You have no idea what their mortgages, number of dependants, financial outgoings etc etc are so leave your arrogance at home please and don't make sarcastic comments on this channel. It helps no one and does you no favours.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Who said anything about not being able to make that money Robert. That's a very arogant statement.

By @Mohamed5C41

How about the following ?

Arrogance in the first line. And than this professional admits that he can't afford US$53 or €60.49 every month :

..... But like one of the others said, It is ALL ABOUT GREED!!!!

....., because I am a professional who uses Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign on a daily basis. It really sucks, because I can't afford to pay the monthly fee for current versions of the Adobe suites!!!

By @Ramon Masongsong
https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/photoshop-cs6-not-opening-in-big-sur-update-for-mac/m-p/119... 

Some people have other costs and priorities in their lives and it doesn't take much to push their financial commitments over the edge. 

You have no idea what their mortgages, number of dependants, financial outgoings etc etc are so leave your arrogance at home please and don't make sarcastic comments on this channel. It helps no one and does you no favours.

By @Mohamed5C41

These people can keep on financially overcommitting. All they have to do is register at one or more of the websites (or others) that I mentioned. And earn US$53 or €60.49 every month.

You are exactly the same : whinge and mope about a changed business model and monthly cost.

How did you and the other negatives with so much overciommitment, afford to pay for the Creative Suite versions ? Piracy ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 16, 2021 Jun 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None of the 22.x.x versions worked for me and kept freezing. Try installing the 21.2.9 version. I did and it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2021 Jul 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The best solution is to just use Parallels Desktop to run macOS Mojave on Big Sur virtually. Inside that virtual environment, CS6 will work great!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 20, 2021 Aug 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Adobe Photoshop CS6 working on Big Sur.  It is somewhat complicated to get it to work (more technical and involved then getting it to work on Catalina).  And there are some limitations.  But you can get Photoshop CS6 working on Big Sur.  It is somewhat technical so I'm not sure if I should post it or not.  Perhaps nobody cares about CS6 anymore anyways.  But I thought I should answer this question for those still interested.  I still like using Photoshop CS6 and I did pay for it outright so I like to continue to use it on Big Sur.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines