• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CS6 on Vista started failing on Nov 5 at startup during CC license check

Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2021 Nov 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For many years I have been using Photoshop CS6 almost daily on the same HP PC I use to drive my Nikon 9000 medium-format film scanner.  Due to limitations with the old film scanner, this PC is still on Vista and really not used for much of anything besides scanning and, up until now, editing.

As recently as November 4 this setup was still working.  Then less than 24 hours later, on November 5, it stopped working.  Specifically, at startup time, during the phase in which PS delegates to CC to check the license (this is not a standalone PS installation and I have no serial number), it halts with a dialog box complaining about being unable to connect to the Adobe Server.  See attached screenshot.

Note that my subscription (Photography plan) is up-to-date.

Any ideas what is going on and if there is any fix for it?  Thank you in advance for your thoughts and assistance.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS6 required Activation which required a serial number.  So the CS6 Activation servers would create your CS6] credentials and hide them on your disk.

Years ago Adobe made a update to CS6  that Update Perpetual CS6  version 13.0.1.3 on windows to version 13.1.2  Creative Cloud CS6.      

I never tried to have Creative Cloud Desktop Update my Prepetual CS6 to creative cloud CS6  for I want to keep CS6 working like is was.     However,  Creative Cloud desktop on it own decided to Update my Perpetuals  CS6.  It was a disaster and CS6 was broken instead and reported it was now version 13.0 and CS6  Update now would always fail to fix up CS6.     I then installed perpetual CS6 over  the broken CS6 version 13.0.  This install Fixed the broken CS6 verson 13.0.   CS6 13.0 now worked and CS6 Update  updated  version 13.0 to version 13.1.2 Creative cloud CS6.

By any chance did you try to install a Photoshop Creative Cloud trial on your vista system.   Why would your perpetual Photoshop CS6 be trying to check your Creative cloud photography subscription?   

I thing something broke your CS6 inatsll 

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@scottj49790240 wrote:

Specifically, at startup time, during the phase in which PS delegates to CC to check the license (this is not a standalone PS installation and I have no serial number), it halts with a dialog box complaining about being unable to connect to the Adobe Server.  See attached screenshot.

Note that my subscription (Photography plan) is up-to-date.

Hi 

CS6 was released both as a stand-alone with a serial number and also as part of the Creative Cloud subscription. To clarify: you have the Creative Cloud version with the Photography plan, is that correct?

The error message you gave says to contact Customer Service, but the link in that old dialog may or may not be good.

Contact Adobe Customer Care:
https://community.adobe.com/t5/creative-cloud-services/how-to-contact-adobe-support/td-p/11875703 
or you can send a tweet to @AdobeCare, as the Twitter team is known to be very responsive.

It's also possible that your subscription reverted to trial. If so, these steps may help:

https://helpx.adobe.com/manage-account/kb/stop-creative-cloud-trial-mode-after-purchase.html

Do not reply to PMs, as scammers are on forums these days. Adobe Staff has an "Employee" badge.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 14, 2021 Nov 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try contacting Adobe Customer Care through Twitter?

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not through Twitter, no.  But I submitted 2 cases to Adobe support, one through the phone (and shared my Vista box desktop remotely to the agent so he could poke around and see) and one over online chat.  Neither were helpful; in both cases the agents gave up (one told me that Vista was not supported and used that as his "out") and suggested I come to this forum for help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I have the CC version (13.0) of PS CS6 with the Photography plan.  I installed this a long time ago: Oct 18, 2015 according to Vista Control Panel.  I installed it by download from CC; I still have the old CreativeCloudSet-Up .exe file I downloaded and which I then used to install PS.  This was not a standalone install and I don't have a serial number for it; I do have a CC account and it is up-to-date and paid-for (Photography plan).  I've been able to install the latest/modern version of PS from CC on a Windows 8 laptop using this account, and that works just fine, but for various reasons for me that is very inconvenient to use for editing and I'd vastly prefer to keep doing my editing on the old Vista box.

The stage at which PS CS6 on my Vista box fails now, is upon startup.  It opens a Creative Cloud dialog box that momentarily says it is validating my license online.  (See new attachment on this posting.)  After displaying that for just a few seconds, then it displays the dialog box I attached with my original posting, announcing the failure.

I've tried all the links in that dialog box and they work but they do not help.  Eg I have no network connectivity issues from this Vista box and can browse the web with its (outdated) Chrome and Firefox browsers just fine (except being out-of-date some modern web sites don't properly render fully in those browsers, but I wouldn't think that would affect the license check).  I wonder if this might be a TLS issue; being an old machine it might not support the latest TLS protocol (1.2 or 1.3 maybe).  I wonder if, on Nov 5, Adobe updated the CC endpoint which my PS CS6 instance uses to verify the license, and removed support for older versions of TLS, and that's what has brought me down.  Any thoughts on that, and any fix for it?

BTW I have contacted Adobe support twice for this since the Nov 5 onset.  Not helpful or useful by any means, unfortunately.  Both times they ultimately referred me to this forum, telling me to ask my question here.  So here I am 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Creative Cloud version of CS6 is Photoshop version 13.1.2 not Photoshop version 13.0.  There are three versions of Photoshop CS6.  Windows perpetual Photoshop version 13.0.1.3,    Mac perpetual Photoshop version 13.0.6 and Creative Cloud Photoshop Version 13.1.2.  Though Creative Cloud desktop will shod it as  version 13.0 and Up to date.  CS6 systems info tough will show it as version 13.1.2.  You need a Subscription for Creative cloud CS6 version. and you need to sign in to your Adobe account with your subscription in the Creative Cloud Desktop Application to keep CS6 activation current. If your CS6 info is showing its version 13.0 it looks like your install has be broken.

Make sure you have used the creative cloud desktop application to sign into your Adobe Account that has your subscription to keep your CS6 activation current.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JJMack, yes, I have the last of the 3 CS6 versions you mentioned: Creative Cloud PS 13.1.2 which is shown in Windows Control Panel (Programs) as 13.0.  I have confirmed that I am correctly signed in to my CC account with my proper Adobe ID (blacked-out in the first screenshot I attached at the beginning of this thread - I checked it and it is correct and up-to-date).

Note I don't have Creative Cloud Desktop App - I still have Adobe Application Manager since this is a Vista box (my understanding is that CCDA is for Windows 7+ only).  Note that when I try to run AAM it auto-launches itself into update mode and tries to update itself (probably because I haven't run it in so long that it is many versions behind) - but then the update fails, and it displays an error popup ("Sorry there seems to be a problem with the installation process (Error code: A12E1)" etc) and quits.  So I can't successfully get into AAM either, not that I really care, so long as PS can be gotten to work again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I know you need to have Creative cloud desktop application installed. That is what keeps CS6 version 13.1.2 activation current.  If you install Create Cloud Desktop and sign in with you Adobe account the hast your subscription Creative Cloud desktop should activate your CS6 13.1.2.   I need to use Creative cloud desktop around once a month the keep CS6 working on my windows 10 system.   Try downloadind Creative cloud desktop application see if it will install on vista

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, for Vista, which is the version of the Windows OS prior to Windows 7, it is Adobe Application Manager, not Creative Cloud desktop app: see https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/aam-troubleshoot-download-install.html:

"If you have a Creative Cloud membership, the Adobe Application Manager will automatically update to the Creative Cloud desktop app, as long as you are running macOS 10.7 or later, or Windows 7 or later. If you are running older operating systems, such as Windows XP or macOS 10.6, you'll use the Adobe Application Manager (AAM) to manage your Creative Cloud downloads and installations."

So its not possible for me to install CCDA on my old Vista box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All I know is CS6 13.1.2 is a creative cloud version that is activated via subscription.  Adobe Application Manager is very old software that was used in Perpetual Photoshop Time frame.  I would not think that Adobe Application Manager would know anything about user creative cloud subscriptions.   If yoy have a Perpetual CS6 licence serial you may be able to remove all traces of Creative Cloud CS6 Photoshop 13.1.2 on your vista machine.  How did you install Creative cloud CS6 in the first place.   Once you remove all traces of Creative cloud CS6.  Try installing your perpetual CS6 13.0  and see if you can Activate the install. If you cam  the CS6 Update to Perpetual CS6 version 13.0.1.3 may still be able to be downloaded from Adobe via FTP.  You will also bee the ACR 9.1 you may have a download for.  You are getting a Creative cloud rejection  I do not think Adobe Application Manager deals with Creative cloud software.

image.png

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JJMack - maybe you didn't see the part of the Adobe support article I pointed out earlier (see preceding post):

"If you are running older operating systems, such as Windows XP or macOS 10.6, you'll use the Adobe Application Manager (AAM) to manage your Creative Cloud downloads and installations."

AAM is what was used on Vista, and other older systems, to manage Creative Cloud based software such as my PS CS6 instance.  I know not only because of the aforementioned support article from Adobe, but because that's how I did it in 2015 when I first set this up.  I set it up by-the-book at that time, and have left it alone ever since, and it has worked ever since until Friday November 5. So thank you for your advice but unfortunately it seems to be moot in my case.  BTW as I've mentioned a few times, I don't have a standalone PS, don't have a serial number for a perpetual license, and so can't follow your suggestion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 15, 2021 Nov 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did see this https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/aam-troubleshoot-download-install.html 

which goes along with what you have written however, I did not see an actual reference to Vista.    Its does state that  Application manager is used on old systems for Creative Cloud Applications.   So I would think it should Activate  your Creative Cloud version of Photoshop CS6.   Can you still sign into your Adobe account that has your subscription using Adobe  Application Manager so it can confirm your subscription is still  active.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 15, 2021 Nov 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As that support article says:

""If you have a Creative Cloud membership, the Adobe Application Manager will automatically update to the Creative Cloud desktop app, as long as you are running macOS 10.7 or later, or Windows 7 or later. If you are running older operating systems, such as Windows XP or macOS 10.6, you'll use the Adobe Application Manager (AAM) to manage your Creative Cloud downloads and installations."

Not to repeat myself, but as I pointed out above, Vista is the Windows version previous to Windows 7.  Thus AAM is the tool used on Vista to manage CC downloads and installations, not the Creative Cloud desktop app.  However, as I said earlier, I can't successfully run AAM anymore either - it tries to update itself and then the update fails (details in my previous posting above).  I don't know how long that's been going on because I hardly ever use AAM.  I do know the PS problem began on Nov 5 because I used it successfully on Nov 4 with no problems.  Perhaps that is when the AAM problem would have begun too, but I don't know because I didn't try running it on the 4th and 5th.

In any case, I do know that my subscription is still active, because when I login with my Adobe ID and password at https://creativecloud.adobe.com (also https://account.adobe.com/plans), the login works, it shows my current plan is "Photography (20GB)" which is correct, and it shows my payments are all up-to-date.  Furthermore, I know that when PS starts-up and tries to validate the license with CC, it has my correct Adobe ID, because the part of the error/failure popup that says "You are signed in as Adobe ID" is correct (see the screenshot above; I just blacked-out my Adobe ID).  So I am sure that none of that is the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 16, 2021 Nov 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried un-installing Adobe Application Manager and all traces of it from your machine.  Then a reinstall Application Manager.  Create cloud application are activated for a period of time  when that time period expires they need to be reactivated.   This is done via Creative Cloud Desktop application,  However in your case it seems Adobe Application Manager does the Activation.  You have to get Adobe Application Manager functional on your machine.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 16, 2021 Nov 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK I just re-installed AAM version 10.0.  It isn't available for download from Adobe anymore, from what I can tell, so I got it from this mirror: https://adobe-application-manager.en.lo4d.com/windows (I had Norton scan the download and give it a thumbs-up before running the installation).

Now, when I run AAM, it doesn't try to update itself anymore - so that much has changed from before.  And it does prompt me for my Adobe ID and password, whereas before it didn't (it already knew them from back in the days when I last installed and ran it).  But when I enter my ID and password - enter anything, really, valid values or not - AAM then displays an error: Unable to contact Adobe.  Please connect to the Internet and try again. (even though my PC is already connected, and every test confirms as much, such as my having just downloaded AAM to this machine a few minutes beforehand, and now posting this comment to you on the Adobe support site just minutes afterward, neither of which would work if this PC weren't connected to the Internet)

Meanwhile PS gives me the same problem as originally reported at the top of this thread, when I try to start PS.

So unfortunately this AAM re-install did not solve the problem.  It did persuade me further, to think that the problem is in the endpoint that AAM and PS are calling to validate credentials and/or license, or in the protocol used to talk to that endpoint.  Eg perhaps Adobe discontinued use of old versions of the TLS protocol on their servers (1.0 and 1.1), but on Vista clients the Adobe products are still trying to use those old versions when calling the Adobe endpoint.  Something like that.  If so, I'm not sure how I would solve that, or if it is solvable.  Just a guess.

I am thinking now that I will have to use my Vista machine as just a driver for the scanner going forward, and move all my editing to another, more modern, box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 17, 2021 Nov 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you still using Film?

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I would be surprised if Silverfast did not support your scanner.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Vuescan supports your scanner, and can be installed on Windows XP, Vista, 7 and 10.

But it sounds like a good idea to do your editing on a newer computer since you already have a subscription.

Hopefully, this computer will be so new that it meets the system requirements for  the latest Photoshop.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/system-requirements.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure you can connect your scanner to your youe newer PC running Windows 10.. While Vuescan supports my my old CanoScan2700F film scanner my current PC do not have a SCSI adapter to connect my  scanner to.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the Nikon 9000 uses a Firewire connection, and I know of no modern PC sold with a built-in Firewire port.  I'd need to buy a Firewire card and hope that would work.  Reports I've read go both ways though.  

As for the driver, yes, Vuescan and Silverfast both should work, and reports are that even NikonScan can be gotten to work on Windows 10 with the right hack: https://lincolnscan.co.uk/Using%20NikonScan.html (even now on Vista I use a hacked install of NikonScan, the last version of which was only officially supported for XP).

All that said, I'm OK with leaving the Vista PC around as a driver for the scanner if I have to.

Yes, I use film (medium format) pretty much exclusively.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 18, 2021 Nov 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can get a Thunderbolt dock with Firewire, although I have no idea if Windows would be supported. Firewire works great on Macs that shipped with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 18, 2021 Nov 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Per, I couldn't remember the name of Vuescan, I prefer to give several alternatives...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines