Exit

Photoshop CS6 - Screen flickering when using brushes with new MacAir 2013

New Here ,
Jun 26, 2013 Jun 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would the Adobe team please respond to the issues reported by several users:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5449199

A number of users experience severe screen flicker in Photoshop CS6 when using any of the larger brush type tools (cloning, eraser, brush, spot healing, burning, and dodging).  As many on this thread are experiencing, it is awfull and unusable! The flicker is screen wide black boxes, sometimes the whole screen goes black.  It only seems to happen when we put the cursor over the image to edit.

Hardware:  MacBook Air 13", Haswell 1.7 GHz, 8GB, 512 SSD Software:

Photoshop CS6 v13.1.2 20130105.r.224, OS X v10.8.4 (and perhaps others)

Looks like a CS6 is not compatible with teh new MacAir. Please look into this and advise.

Adobe Photoshop Version: 13.1.2 (13.1.2 20130105.r.224 2013/01/05:23:00:00) x64 Operating System: Mac OS 10.8.4 System architecture: Intel CPU Family:6, Model:69, Stepping:1 with MMX, SSE Integer, SSE FP, SSE2, SSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, HyperThreading       

Message was edited by: GSVAI

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 19, 2013 Jul 19, 2013

Apple has released an update to the MacBook Air 2013 that fixes this very issue: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1672

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Oct 02, 2014 Oct 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I completely agree it's uber frustrating. Thank you for looking into Apple if there's a fix. If you're working on Photoshop as much as I all day cleaning photo's it's just annoying enough that you get grumpy. I almost don't care who's problem it is Adobe or Apple but it needs to be addressed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work with Photoshop pretty much all day everyday. It is extremely frustrating. Especially when this only happens with an adobe product. As referenced in the link I posted it does appear to be on the adobe side.

Both sides aware of the problem but not one side wants to fix the problem...meanwhile all of us who have to work day after day with this software are left hanging the middle with no one even considering resolving it.

Another point...this does not happen with any other program I use so why is it Apple's issue?

We pay a heafty price for these softwares....  in more ways than one. Build a product and not support the issues that people have with (only) that product. Not a stellar response.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It just seems like if the problems are getting reported to adobe then adobe should be working WITH Apple.

It seems like if that communication is coming FROM adobe and not random people reporting to different sources, places and to different people then things would get resolved more efficiently.

You should be working together. Not pushing it off on the people who purchase the products to sort out when it involves your products to begin with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I had this problem with a long discarded MB Air, I was able to correlate the flickering with the size of image. There was a threshold at which flickering started and below which there was none; I passed the specifics on to Apple. At that time the MBP did not exhibit the problem, so I traded up - about a week or two before the problem was fixed in the Air (as I recall it was an Apple bug - which makes sense because it was specific to the Air and no to Photoshop, which it should have been if the (supposed) buffer overflow was in Photoshop).

You may be able to accelerate the bug fix by emulating my investigation and - if you find something - passing the information on to Apple.

I used to write a lot of software. No one likes bugs, but the systems are far too complex to search blindly. Give them a way to reproduce the problem or wait and complain. Your choice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Previously it was Apple specific.

If you want to get Adobe to move, then demonstrate it's more general.

But in either case, you can do something to narrow down the problem by experimenting to see if you can create a reproducible test case. Without one, the developers have to guess. With one, they will be able to narrow the problem to a set of specific subsystems.

This kind of thing happens when garbage is written past the end of a safe buffer or some memory address are being trashed. This can occur for different size images in different architectures and possibly different configurations.

Trust me - they want to fix it. If you can make the job easier, then it will bump it up higher in the queue - both because it's easier and because you are demonstrating it's important enough to you to do some work to help solve a difficult to find problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess that's part of what I was doing here.

There are YouTube videos posted showing what is occuring

There is stuff all over Google with no resolution anywhere

I've posted links to other conversations with videos showing and explaining what I'm experincing

I've posted reference that its not solely apple related.

I'm delivering this on an adobe forum to adobe.

In a sense I feel like I'm taking my car to a mechanic and instead of giving them the knowledge of what I'm  seeing issues with (even with video representation of the problem) they won't work on it until I tell them word for word why its happening and where to fix the problem...

This problem is all over YouTube. Which leads me to believe that not only are other people experiencing it...they are getting the same canned response and despite the video examples its still not getting resolved.

The problem is no one wants to sit down and address it. I'm not a computer engineer. I don't work in IT. I'm not a programmer. I can show (as has been posted) what is happening. Short of sitting down at a desk with an engineer I don't know what else to do. I'm not sure what you are asking for is really different than all the other examples that have been posts . Did you look at them?

I don't know computer programming. So if that's what it takes for us who have non IT related jobs to get this fixed I don't know how to respond to that. Caring enough about this problem apparently requires another college degree.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And don't get get me wrong. I'm not trying to be rude but its really frustrating to see so much documentation online regarding this issue over the course of a couple of years and not one resolution for it. When you have to use this program daily and no one wants to resolve it and what you see is that this has been a very well documented issue a cross numerous operating systems for so long its frustrating to say the least.

I can't get technical. I don't have a degree in that.  But anyone can use Google and YouTube and in many cases has had that documentation delivered directly to adobe and Apple and probably microsoft yet there has never been a fix. The fingers just keep getting pointed in every other direction.

I apologize if that comes a cross rudely. Not intended at all. Just extremely frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That rumors thread is from last year, about the MacOS bug that Apple patched last year.

And these issues are in the video card driver - which will only affect applications that are using that part of the video card driver.

You are not getting a canned response - you are getting the only response possible: Adobe cannot fix Apple's code, only Apple can fix Apple's code.

We do try to solve all the problems that we can, but we cannot solve problems outside of our control.

Yes, Apple should be working with software developers, testing OS changes, and fixing the bugs before releasing new OS versions to customers.

Yes, we make every attempt to work with Apple.  Yes, we would prefer if Apple worked with us and other developers to solve the bugs in Apple's OS code and drivers.

Brokentod - there are different bugs on Windows 8 and MacOS video card drivers that both caused some flashing of the display.  They are not related, and they were both fixed with driver updates.

We have spent a lot of time and resources researching these issues - but we can only fix issues in our own code.  And sometimes we can't work around the OS and driver issues without disabling major features or taking a huge performance hit, while the OS and driver vendors can fix their bugs rather easily.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That makes sense. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines