Exit

Photoshop CS6 - Screen flickering when using brushes with new MacAir 2013

New Here ,
Jun 26, 2013 Jun 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would the Adobe team please respond to the issues reported by several users:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5449199

A number of users experience severe screen flicker in Photoshop CS6 when using any of the larger brush type tools (cloning, eraser, brush, spot healing, burning, and dodging).  As many on this thread are experiencing, it is awfull and unusable! The flicker is screen wide black boxes, sometimes the whole screen goes black.  It only seems to happen when we put the cursor over the image to edit.

Hardware:  MacBook Air 13", Haswell 1.7 GHz, 8GB, 512 SSD Software:

Photoshop CS6 v13.1.2 20130105.r.224, OS X v10.8.4 (and perhaps others)

Looks like a CS6 is not compatible with teh new MacAir. Please look into this and advise.

Adobe Photoshop Version: 13.1.2 (13.1.2 20130105.r.224 2013/01/05:23:00:00) x64 Operating System: Mac OS 10.8.4 System architecture: Intel CPU Family:6, Model:69, Stepping:1 with MMX, SSE Integer, SSE FP, SSE2, SSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, HyperThreading       

Message was edited by: GSVAI

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 19, 2013 Jul 19, 2013

Apple has released an update to the MacBook Air 2013 that fixes this very issue: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1672

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Jul 01, 2013 Jul 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanted to share this https://discussions.apple.com/message/22383256#22383256

I just got a Macbook Air, while I was waiting for it to arrived I got news from MacRumors that Photoshop was having this flickering, so I tested it and those were the results.

Have no idea. I will hate to return the Macbook Air but I depend a lot on Adobe software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

alfnewlayer wrote:

Just wanted to share this https://discussions.apple.com/message/22383256#22383256

As I said before, I think that the drivers for the new gpu or some other new component might not work well after waking up from sleep.

My experience is

boot -> open Photoshop -> change brush size -> no problems,

boot -> put mba to sleep -> open Photoshop -> change brush size->flickering

Apple might be at fault here, because the fact that the macbook was in sleep mode shouldn't normally affect the behaviour of an application.

I haven't tested long enough to be sure of it, but keeping the mba from sleeping after boot may be a temporary fix if someone needs to do some work with a certain brush size.

My hardware configuration is i5/8gb/256gb with lg panel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I brought my MBA to the apple store: they swapped it out for another one.

The new one exhibits the same problem.

I've done a little (emphasis little) testing on one image which is 223.5Meg in size.

Using a brush in quick mask mode it seems to consistenly exhibit the bug with a brush size of 1938 or higher and not with 1937 or lower.

I'd be interested to know if these magic numbers are consistent across machines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my experience is also as ojinooo.

My experience is

boot -> open Photoshop -> change brush size -> no problems,

boot -> put mba to sleep -> open Photoshop -> change brush size->flickering

seems to be a problem when it goes to sleep and wakes up.

if I restart it or connect it to an external monitor it starts working again, no flickering.

Just got the Air today, I bought it from apple.com and will give it a few days.

Everything else works perfect. I was kinda of just hoping for an update/solution.

I can imagine how stressful it could be for those who can't return the Air. Maybe just wait for apple to hopefully resolve it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 02, 2013 Jul 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm I restarted and had no issues.. Then put it to sleep, started using it.. and the flickering started again. I will have to do more testing.. to be sure though. Chris any thoughts while you were testing? I thought I remembered it doing it before sleep too but not today.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 02, 2013 Jul 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I need to talk to Apple about the issue -- without details of what's going on in the driver or the hardware, I can't make any more detailed guesses about the cause.

We have made attempts to inform Apple of the issue.  That's all I can say for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 03, 2013 Jul 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Follow up:

I called Apple Tech support & submitted my findings to them - including an iPhone video I too showing the flicker.

The apple tech ran a remote screen capture session with me to try to capture the flicker. I experienced flicker during the session and during a Quicktime screen recording, but the they did not (nor was there any flicker in the Quicktime recording). The results of this session and (I believe) my iPhone video have been forwarded to Apple Engineering.

It looks like we should expect a fix 'one of these days real soon now' - or sooner. It's clearly something which occurs under extreme load. It's also clear that wedging diagnostic software (or a screen recording program in) distributes the load enough to resolve the flicker - while slowing the machine down signficantly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for the info, I been playing with photoshop on a external monitor I'ts been great overall but I do ocasionally experience some type of half a second white flashes, when moving Layers, specially group layers, this is in the external monitor.

This got me thinking about the option I have of returning the MacBook AIr. I'm in love with the Air don't get me wrong, hoping that the update does come and solves the problem, that's what I prefer. I will hate to return a almost perfect machine, but anyways what do you guys think, should I keep it or return it. any suggestion will be appreciated thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2013 Jun 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MacBook Air 13", Haswell 1.7 GHz, 8GB, 512 SSD  I went to the Apple store with my MBA and showed a sales person what's going on. He went behind the doors to talk to a Tech. The Sales guy comes back and said it is a known problem at Apple and they are working on a fix.  Unfortunately I am unable tell how credible the information is or if they just wanted to get rid of me in a store where they have in excess of 100 people and lots of people in store.  We would like to see an official Apple statement to acknowledge the issue and some sort of action plan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I took my laptop to the Apple Store two days ago because of this problem, and they called me today to go and collect it. The guy confirmed the problem and told me I should wait for an update from Apple or may be also from Adobe. No more details on when it should come up or anything else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 07, 2013 Jul 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello I'm an unfortunate new owner of Mba 13" 2013, and also experiencing the same flickering problems again and again... I've been checking different forums / discussions, still stuck with my machine, but i wonder why isn't there any discussions update since 4/5 days now... Does it mean that everybody found out solutions (with updates, patches, from apple or adobe) since then or simply just turned back the faulting Macbook Air to Apple to get money back and wait?

Thank you, Two days left before the end of the 14 days return policy...don't know what to do. Don't have any clear news...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@petersillions - apple is aware of the problem and engineering is working on it - according to the senior applecare tech I talked with.

My experience is that the issue is triggered when the brush size exceeds some fixed threshold. I get flickering when using quick mask and the brush size is greater than 1937 pixels. I haven't experienced problems with other tools, but I don't do a lot of things on the MBA that use a large brush.

If yours is acting similarly, you should have a useable machine if you keep our brush sizes down.

You should also know that Apple swapped out my original MBA (purchased next day after announcement) after seeing the flicker at the genius bar. The new one exhibits the same problem.

If you do decide to keep the machine, then you probably should report the issue to apple. Be prepared to argue a little because the flickering does NOT show up when diagnostic software is running - so they cannot capture it using remote tools. I've tried catching it on iShowU & Quicktime. The apple tech tried using their screen charing and that failed. I sent them an iPhone video 'just to make the point'.

Good luck either way you decide to go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanted to say to everyone I ended up returning my New Macbook Air for a Macbook Pro 13. Glad I did even though it was a difficult decision. Was in love with the Air and was running out of time, if your using Photoshop the Macbook Pro seems more solid, no flickering from day one. You can read more here https://discussions.apple.com/message/22427735#22427735

thanks for sharing and the support. good luck to everyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 19, 2013 Jul 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apple has released an update to the MacBook Air 2013 that fixes this very issue: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1672

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 19, 2013 Jul 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After a week of testing this myself: the fix works.  And the other drawing hangs/glitches are cleaned up as well.  Photoshop CC and CS6 are now working quite smoothly on my MacBook Air.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 21, 2013 Jul 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This appears to be working for me too. Now back to work we go

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 17, 2016 Jun 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem with a windows 10 computer.  Never had it before and have used earlier versions of photoshop and lightroom.  HELP this is a real problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 15, 2016 Aug 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have noticed the mask outline flickering within Photoshop recently on my Win 7, i7, 32 GB mem, quadro k2000 desktop.  I noticed it started when I TURNED OFF (unchecked) the Use Graphics Processor option under the Preferences>Performance within Photoshop.  I rechecked this box to turn my GPU back ON and the prob immediately stopped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 23, 2013 Aug 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing this too. Is it harmful for my macbook air 2013, especially my screen?

I already download the updates from apple & already restart it but the screen flickering is still happening when I work with my brush

Any idea with everyone else? Pls give some tips to fix this things. Thank you so much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 23, 2013 Aug 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Install the Apple OS updates -- Apple fixed this already.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 05, 2013 Dec 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This forum has been very helpful unfouruntly it seems to only be a fix for the macbook air. Recenelty getting a new Macbook Pro Retina 15" i7 2ghz with 16gb ddr3 running the intel iris Pro 1024 MB graphics and an updated 10.9 STILL has this issues and it's begining to be quite a bother at the office. Specifically I'm only using Photoshop Creative Cloud when it occurs. It's been significant at close zoom in's and with a brush betweeen

6-15px.

Does anyone know of this same issue sent out from apple but for thier new retina display mbp's?

Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 01, 2014 Oct 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am experiencing this on my Macbook Pro which I bought in March of 2014. I have all the current updates... any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My issue seems to be pretty much any time I click down to use any tool. It flickers no matter what I seem to use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Contact Apple - they may have another driver bug to fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 02, 2014 Oct 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have checked with Apple. There is no fix at this point. It does also appear to be Adobe related. This is incredibly frustrating.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1661104

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines