• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop: Cursor "Frozen" After Certain Period of Time

Community Beginner ,
Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whenever I open a file, everything seems to operate as normal. After an arbitrary amount of time, whether I zoom out with scrub zoom, or switch to a different brush or move the file with the hand tool, the cursor will change to the default mouse pointer and I'm unable to do anything to my file. I can select different tools in the toolbars and menus, but when my cursor hovers over my file, it visually appears as the default OS cursor and I cannot alter, adjust or manipulate the file.

My temporary solutions have been to close and reopen the file. This works very briefly and makes the process of working incredibly tedious. On average I can work for about 10-15mins before this happens.

I went into preferences and allotted 85% to performance, added a scratch disk so my main drive would be overburdened, but this doesn't seem to have fixed the problem.

This started happening after Creative Cloud automatically installed the latest photoshop so I installed an older version and the problem seems to persist on the old and new version.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Feb 24, 2021 Feb 24, 2021

After doing some more digging and I found a thread that was experiencing the same problems I was.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/photoshop-2020-canvas-quot-freezes-quot-and-remains-on-screen-on-windows/td-p/10880575/page/2

TLDR: the resolution to this problem was something I had tried prior but didn't work. However going through the thread lead me to this potential solution that so far has worked out for me: Disabling Pan Flicking.

Preferences -> Tools -> Enable Flick Panning (Uncheck it)

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»This started happening after Creative Cloud automatically installed the latest photoshop«

You need not enable auto-updating and one can avoid un-installing the previous version when installing a new one. 

What is the primary Scratch Disk? 

What have you done for trouble-shooting so far?

Does turning off »Use Graphics Processor« in the Performance Preferences (Photoshop > Preferences > Performance > Graphic Processor Settings) and restarting Photoshop have any bearing on the issue? (I know that is not a solution but just a diagnostic action.) 

Restoring Preferences after making sure all customized presets like Actions, Patterns, Brushes etc. have been saved might be a good starting point:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/basic-trouble-shooting-steps.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 19, 2021 Feb 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply.

I went through and did everything mentioned, sadly nothing changed. It seems completely arbitrary when the file will freeze and my mouse cursor won't update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 24, 2021 Feb 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After doing some more digging and I found a thread that was experiencing the same problems I was.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/photoshop-2020-canvas-quot-freezes-quot-and-remains-on-scre...

TLDR: the resolution to this problem was something I had tried prior but didn't work. However going through the thread lead me to this potential solution that so far has worked out for me: Disabling Pan Flicking.

Preferences -> Tools -> Enable Flick Panning (Uncheck it)

Some people have said this hasn't solved the issue, but it seems to have worked for me. Not sure why this little thing causes such a huge disruption in the workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 02, 2022 Sep 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there, i'm new to this forum so  my question is probably basic, yet I cannot surf it up on the forum. In Photoshop Elements 2021 /Win10, i want to disable flick panning for the reasons described above. Problem: cannot seem to navigate to "Tools" dialogue box: edit>preferences> has no "tools" option, nor does anything related appear under "general".  The "Tools Options" icon on the bottom tray yields only selections relating to zoom and page size functions.  Can you help me?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 17, 2021 Aug 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a temporary and quick solution for that. When the cursor stops working properly, go to Window > Arrange > New Window for... <the name of the document you're working on>

It opens the same document in a new tab, so you can close the "broken one" and the cursor will work in the new one. It saves more time that to save the document, close it and reopen.

Hope that makes sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines