• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop does not save .NEF format any more?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 14, 2022 Mar 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I use a Nikon D7100, and always take pictures in Nikon .NEF.

Camera Raw 2022 saves a modified RAW in .NEF format with an accompanying .XMP file.

But since a week Photoshop 2022  refuses to do the same, only accepts .PNG as RAW format, both in the commands "save" and "save as" (apart from all the other formats). What do I wrong?

Regards

Hennie Koenen

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your description is somewhat confusing, but as far as I can tell, what you describe sounds normal.

NEF is a proprietary raw file format from Nikon. It can only be generated in a Nikon camera.

Raw files can not be modified by Camera Raw (ACR). It saves all edits to that NEF as text instructions in an xmp "sidecar" file associated with the original NEF.

When that raw file is opened into Photoshop from ACR, Photoshop can only save it out as a rendered RGB file, separate from the raw file, as a PSD, TIFF, jpeg, PNG etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ACR and LR treat all proprietary raws as read-only. They cannot and have never saved out an NEF or any proprietary raws. The XMP is what is saved and defines the parametric edits you made.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"Camera Raw 2022 saves a modified RAW in .NEF format with an accompanying .XMP file."

If you are not using Save command but rather OK to confirm changes original format will remain the same and additional file with adjustments will be created.

In case you want to Save or Export file from ACR then you must use some of the offered formats, NEF is not an option. NEF was never option as far as I can remember.

raw file with adjustments.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines