Photoshop does not start - Stuck on "loading brushes"

Explorer ,
May 17, 2022 May 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

Yesterday,  I installed the last update for Photoshop

This morning, it does not start and seems to be "stuck" on loading brushes

Could it be a damaged file, a memory problem ... something else ?

How could I "force" the start of fix the problem

Thanks  Have a good day

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
May 17, 2022 May 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Navigate to this folder.   Note you need to make Hidden Items viewable under the File Explorer > View menu.

C:\Users\[your user name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2022\Presets\Brushes

You could try renaming the Brushes folder to something else like suspect_brushes

Now try starting Photoshop.  What happened when I tested this is the first time I clicked to open it didn't open, but it remade a Brushes folder. The second time I clicked to open Photoshop it opened OK, but the folder was obviously empty.

If you do this and Photoshop starts OK, then you probably have a corrupted .abr file

Hmmm... Hold that thought.  As you can see below, the brush presets fold is empty but Photoshop still has all the .abr files.

image.png

It might have loaded them from the previous version, which you can see is still there.  Give this a try all the same, and if it does work, then try copying the .abr files fropm the previous version as they will probably be OK.  For goodness sake back it up first by saving it to another folder.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 12, 2023 May 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem but am very reluctant to go messing with files within photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Trevor.Dennis clearly spoke of a file in the the AppData, so what do you mean by »files within photoshop«? 

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/preference-file-names-locations-photoshop.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solved by uninstalling and reinstalling photoshop....phew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you use any customized presets (Brushes, Patterns, Actions, …) make sure to back them up occasionally. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines