• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop doesn't work on 16" MacBook Pro with AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB HELP!!!

Explorer ,
Jan 28, 2020 Jan 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How is it that Adobe can charge me for apps that literally don't work. Photoshop and Illustrator don't work on the new 16" MacBook Pro with AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8GB. I have to zoom the screen to get the canvas to update after turning a layer on/off. Text type tool doesn't show. Shapes don't draw.

I've tried:

Enable Legacy CompostingPhotoshop 2020-01-28 at 18.51.14@2x.png

Turn off Use Graphics Processor

Completely remove and reinstall creative suite.

Layers refuse to update without zooming in the gif example

I am at my wits end. I'm paying for apps I haven't been able to use in 3+ months

Photoshop 2020-01-28 at 18.49.26@2x.pngscreen-won't-reload.gif

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
May 26, 2020 May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's interesting. Can you confirm that before your conversation with Adobe Live Chat (where is that based?), you had unistalled InDesign and had run Adobe Cleaner?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, that was profoundly disappointing that after a 3 hour live chat session it didn't actually end up fixing the problem. I'm back to square one with Ps crashing every 15 minutes or so. Yay! So fun. And, yes, before I contacted them, I uninstalled all CC apps, Creative Cloud itself, ran Adobe Cleaner, and reinstalled just Adobe Photoshop. And, of course, the Adobe rep (I went through their website help link) remoted connected after that, created new Adobe folders, uninstalled everything, ran cleaner, and reinstalled Ps again. 

I'm to the point where I'm actually considering if there's a way for me to simply buy a new Mac or a refurbished one. I absolutely HAVE to have a Mac because my drawing/painting tablet is the iPad Pro and I need it for all the painting I do. But I have zero budget for that. 

Do you happen to have any other ideas on what could be causing this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well to be honest I thought the same; that you'd have to get a new Mac, but I didn't like to suggest it! But before you do though, I suggest you take your Mac to a Mac dealer and get them to check it out, particularly the graphics card.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 24, 2020 Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, Derek, this is an Adobe compatibility issue with the new 5500 graphics card. They need to sort it. I hope this guy didn't take your advice and pay money to get his hardware looked at. I have the same issue and desperately need a fix grrrr. This really shouldn't happen in 2020! Come on Adobe, get a grip!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI: Apple and Adobe troubleshooted this issue over the course of a month. The final result is that Apple was forced to admit they sold me a lemon Macbook Pro with logic board issue, a cooling issue, and a butterfly keyboard sticky keys issue. They are shipping me a brand new 2020 MacBook Pro for free this week. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for reporting back! Please let us know how it goes when the new MacBook Pro arrives.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2020 Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think there is a hardware problem with the graphics card on MBP16. Please refer: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250905859

I faced this issue and got a refund for my first MBP16. I bought a new one and it is much better but still, I face this and other issues such as: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251248169

I have been in touch with the highest level of support in Apple for last 10 months and they have no solution yet. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2021 Aug 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I have the same ishue, but with the camera raw, and a can't use the photo enhance because of this!  With Ps is working. What should I do? All tha adobe apps are up to date! I tried to change the advance drawing, but want help.  Screenshot 2021-08-12 at 14.54.43.pngScreenshot 2021-08-12 at 14.54.24.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. I've just received my new 16" MacBook Pro and freshly installed photoshop only to find the screen going blank until I click on a layer, live updating very slow and glitchy, etc, etc. I don't think the other user(s) who mentioned turning off graphics switching is correct. If you look in the Apple help, this turns off the 5500 graphics card and uses the one built in to the processor. I'm very disappointed and this is a huge anticlimax. 
either Apple or Adobe need to sort this urgently - and not by disabling the 5500 graphics card! 
As Apple are very unlikely to do anything about it, it's down to you, Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My new 2020 MBP will have the 5500M GPU, so if I can remember, I'll try to report back here if I have any issues running Ps with it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 30, 2020 Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. Can you report back? I was just about to buy the same laptop/graphics card and luckily I found this thread. What a nightmare! Someone from Adobe really needs to speak up in this thread.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, these fools did a bait and switch. They told me they'd be sending a 2020 Macbook. What they sent was a 2019. I'm livid. It's still got a burning hot touchbar. They are refusing to send me what I approved. I've opened a massive file in Photoshop on this new computer and clicked around some. No issues with Ps yet, but I haven't used it enough  to know for sure. That said, my 2018 Macbook had several fundamental flaws that were unfixable. For most Ps users, a few troubleshooting techniques fixes any Ps performance issues. My logic board was so faulty no fix would work. Not ever. Which is why they sent me a new one. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Someone from Adobe really needs to speak up in this thread."

Hi WarPigs

This is a user forum. To tell the Adobe developers, please go to:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family

and you might post the link back here so others can find it.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 15, 2020 Jul 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks but I don't have anything to report yet, I'm just in awe of all the problems being reported on this forum between Adobe software and the new Macbook pros, and how no one from Adobe seems to be responsive or answering any of this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2023 Sep 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Go to the following locations

• C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\CameraRaw
  • Rename the GPU folder as 'GPU.old' (add .old at the end)
  • Restart Photoshop and Camera Raw again.

Mac Location- ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe/CameraRaw/GPU.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines