• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 'Export' or InDesign 'Place' last used file location not remembered. Please help!

New Here ,
Feb 07, 2024 Feb 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am on Mac, Sonoma 14.2.1. Problem is with most Adobe programs remembering the history of last saved, exported or imported files. Specifically Photoshop and InDesign which I use predominantly.
The finder window pop up to choose Export, Save or Place/Import file location defaults to the Desktop instead of the previously used location or location where the actual editable file I'm working on is.
It is driving me nuts and is a huge time waster having to re-establish the path manually every damn time. 
Since Adobe CC auto updated, maybe about 4-5 months back, I've been having this problem. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in the future, to find the best place to post your message, use the list here, https://community.adobe.com/

p.s. i don't think the adobe website, and forums in particular, are easy to navigate, so don't spend a lot of time searching that forum list. do your best and we'll move the post (like this one has already been moved) if it helps you get responses.

<"moved from cc desktop">

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reset preferences.

BTW, you can uncheck auto update in the CC app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but that's the first thing I did already to try combat it. I'm not new to PS preferences panel, so that's why I'm a bit frustrated it doesn't seem to be some simple tick a box and restart situation. I've also even endured the journey of installing a fresh OS and fresh install of all Adobe CC programs, still same problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 08, 2024 Feb 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Resetting preferences is not about your own user settings. The preferences file contains the entire app configuration. Corrupt preferences can cause unpredictable behavior. Resetting returns the application to fresh out-of-the-box factory state.

Preferences are prone to corruption because they are rewritten on every application exit (as opposed to read-only program files). An irregular shutdown can easily corrupt them.

There is a button to Reset preferences on Quit in the dialog. But the traditional method is to hold ctrl+shift+alt as you launch. You will get a confirmation dialog if you do it right.

Oh, save out actions, brushes etc first. They will be wiped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have tried this also, still no fix. Save As window just reverts to Desktop instead of the actual folder where the file is stored. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For Export, this can be set/changed in Preferences > Export, "Export As Location" 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the default upon preference reset and a fresh install, still reverting to desktop. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just to make sure, is the “Save As to Original Folder” option enabled, as in the picture below?

Photoshop-File-Handling-Save-As-location.jpg

That’s for Photoshop. If that isn’t working, and for all other applications that don’t have that option, for many years I have used Default Folder X (paid software) for full control over every app’s default open/save location, and more options to get to recent files and folders. Although it’s not free, it has paid for itself many times over in saved production time. Especially the feature where if a window is open in the Finder, when in the Open/Save dialog box you can click that background window to set it as the Open/Save target.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines