• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop File Crash When Zooming

Community Beginner ,
Sep 14, 2020 Sep 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See video. One file will crash while zooming in and out. Photoshop is still responsive though, because you can see the zooming percentages change in the document tab. The other files in Photoshop will zoom in and out fine. This isn't a one time glitch. It happens multiple times a day.

Mac Version 10.15.6

Photoshop Version 21.2.2

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Sep 15, 2020 Sep 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does Zoom work when it’s not scrubby? 

Does turning off »Use Graphics Processor« in the Performance Preferences (Photoshop > Preferences > Performance > Graphic Processor Settings) and restarting Photoshop have any bearing on the issue? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I personally hate scrubby zoom. I will try to see if I can turn it on the next time it crashes. My first thought was the graphics processor too. I have it turned on in Photoshop.  So you're telling me to turn it off...? That's disappointing... It's one of the more expensive features on this computer and I can't even use it...?Screen Shot 2020-09-15 at 5.14.35 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-09-15 at 5.16.27 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-09-15 at 5.16.30 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But yeah, I attached those other screenshots to show you that I disabled graphics switching, which I thought might be the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 16, 2020 Sep 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»So you're telling me to turn it off...? That's disappointing... «

It is only a means to determine if the GPU or the GPU driver are the problem. 

If disabling Photoshop’s GPU usage makes a difference then one possible solution could be updating the driver … or rolling it back, unfortunately issues can arise in »both directions«. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 22, 2020 Sep 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got it. I will give this a try next time I'm in there. Wondering if anyone else is having similar issues...

Thank you for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 10, 2020 Oct 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem has just been reproduced. Turning off scrubby zoom has no effect on the the issue. It's odd because the entire tab goes frozen, but other active tabs/projects appear to still be function properly. I am going to do as you recommended and uncheck "use graphics processor" in the photoshop preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 24, 2020 Oct 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since I turned off the graphics processor, I have not had any crashes as described above. However, now I am getting the ole gray blockey screen everytime I switch applications or zoom, or transform, really anything. Similar behavior was occuring on my 2015 Mac as well. See attached. I noticed there are some new updates out. Should I update? Screen Shot 2020-10-10 at 4.16.07 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have updated to the latest version of Photoshop. I turned the graphics processor back on. The problem returned almost immediately. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 28, 2020 Nov 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updated again today. Two crashes since updating...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 08, 2020 Dec 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated to Big Sur. All Apps are updated. Problem continues to follow me through version after version. Is anyone out there actually reading this...?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2020 Dec 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having a similar problem. Currently attempting to work on a client project and getting grey blocks everywhere, along with lagging. No crashing fortunately, but still frustrating. I'm not sure how to address it at this point. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 06, 2021 Mar 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop is becoming more and more worthless by the update. See attached. That box is moving on its own when I click an item on the toolbar. This is the most recent version of Photshop. How is anyone supposed to work like this? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is (what seems like) the millioneth time I've noticed Mac users having GPU issues (probably due to drivers). It's not the first time; I recall a Mac-specific GPU driver issue during the earlier days of Photoshop CC. (Made the document appear digitally scrambled.)

Someone should petition Apple to get working with Adobe on this issue because I sure as anything would.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 20, 2021 Mar 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update update update...

Mac OS Big Sur 11.2.3

Photoshop Version 22.3.0

The problem still persists. See attached video.

Someone please help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 23, 2021 Mar 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still leaning towards a driver issue. It's the only thing I can think of that can explain that. (*Maybe* a corrupt document? It does it on the one but not the other. Does it do it every time on other documents or document types?)

What stinks is that you guys can't roll back to another driver; you're stuck with what you have until a new version gets released.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 24, 2021 Mar 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's definitiely not the file. It happens with any document. The video I shared at the beginning of this post is completely different than the one I posted a couple days ago.

I don't think filetype matters. But these are all .psd files. I need my layers... 

I have noticed that using the pen tool and zooming in and out (with command+mouse up/down) usually triggers it for me.

I have made Apple aware. I have heard nothing back from them.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252530257

We're going on six months and several updates without a solution...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your latest video, you can zoom fine on the one document but not the other. On the first document (the one that wasn't zooming), was there a point where it was fine but then wouldn't zoom anymore? Does it not zoom at all when you first open the document?

You don't have to do this as I still think it's video driver-related. Photoshop has a tendency to exploit bugs in video drivers especially.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It will zoom in and out just fine when I open the document. It will work for a bit, and randomly stop functioning. It doesn't always happen, and sometimes it'll happen multiple times a day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 25, 2021 Mar 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My last reply was inaccruate. It happens every time I use the pen tool. At some point.

I am also having other issues with the pen tool. When I manually create a new path, it will not connect points. But when I use the default work path, points connect as they should. See attached.

Should I submit this as a separate bug report?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 25, 2021 Mar 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maintain a Work Path (even a Work Path with one PathPoint suffices) while working on named Paths. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 05, 2021 Oct 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This continues to be a problem...

Photoshop 22.5.1
macOS Big Sur Version 11.6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2021 Dec 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is now happening with Illustrator too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2022 Nov 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now this is happening on the latest version of InDesign. On the latest version of MacOS. On the newest Macbook Pro available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines