• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop file name adds suffix

Community Beginner ,
May 09, 2023 May 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My client emails photoshop images to me. I often open them multiple times to preview. However when I go to save the file it adds a number in parentheses at the end of the file name which seems to suggest the number of times it has been viewed (eg) Shopfront [3].jpg. Is there amy way to stop the file adding this numbered suffix?

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @andrewd66405478 

Thanks for reaching out.

Which version of Photoshop and macOS are you using? Is this happening with all types of files?

You may try resetting Photoshop preferences back to defaults and check if that helps. Here's the article for the steps: https://adobe.ly/3ceal5t

Also, back up the existing Photoshop preferences if you have any custom brushes, action, and workspace: https://adobe.ly/2vNz6FG

Let us know if it helps.

Best,

Ranjisha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Photoshop 24.4.1 and Mac OS Ventura 13.3.1 (a)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 10, 2023 May 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried resetting preferences but it has made no difference. This affects all files sent to me so jpgs, pdfs, png files. Could this be an Outlook issue which is the mail client I am using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you download and open the images or do you open them from Outlook directly? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From Outlook directly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems to be coming from Outlook Mail and not just image files https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook_com/forum/all/e-mail-file-attachments-being-numbered/1b2...

Nothing that Photoshop is causing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK thank you, I'll look further into it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be best to fix this upstream... That being said, as a last resort, a custom Photoshop script could automate the duplication, renaming and closing of the original file when opening such documents using the Script Events Manager.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 21, 2023 Jul 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have the same problem opening rawfiles through Adobe Bridge and Camera Raw. Once I have opened the file and saved it as a jpg, after rescaling it through an action, but then decide that I need to go back to camera raw to change some settings, then opening it again I get a suffix counting up the more times I open it. The only way around that is to shut down photoshop and reopening it again, which I am doing a lot now, but it is very annoying and time consuming and clearly a photoshop problem not a bridge or outlook problem. I keep checking for updates every day but so far no luck and the problem persists. I am using Photoshop 24.6.0 on an M2 MacBook Pro running Ventura 13.4.1 (c) (22F770820d)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines