• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Provide support for Linux (2011)

LEGEND ,
Apr 27, 2011 Apr 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was wondering if Adobe released any Photoshop versions for Linux? Because I looked everywhere in Adobe's site but I could not find any information.

Idea Declined
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 01, 2021 Oct 01, 2021

We currently have no plans to build a version of Photoshop for Linux.

Status Declined

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 666 Replies 666
666 Comments
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2016 Feb 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried installing Elements 14 using Wine, but it fails with 'Installer failed to load".  Thoughts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 03, 2016 Feb 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you check to see what kind of rating PSE 14 has under WINE?  I was using PS 2014 with Ubuntu.  Several months ago, I bought a Surface 3 (4gb) and have Win 10 on it.  I like how it runs, so am using Win 10 on my laptop.  So I have the latest Photoshop version.  It is nice not having the glitches....

I still would so pay for a Linux version of Photoshop!!!

I would do a search for your version of Linux and PSE 14.  You will probably find someone who has a way for it to work well...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 07, 2016 May 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Chris,

Please make easy installing under wine.

Or all-in-one file: Photoshop with wine elements in one pack.

Or official instructions how to install Photoshop + wine for working well without bugs.

Correct work under wine would be at least something, better then nothing

Forward thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Chris,

You can go to kickstarter, and ask any sum you want to be collected for creating Photoshop for Linux.

your sum will be counted depends how many copies you want to sell.

Those ones who put a sum more then ___ get Photoshop for free.

Or any pre-paid program. I believe that users will be happy to support you.

Linux is not perfect - not that pretty for developers with their various distros, but not annoying also.

Operating facts (that Linux users can not pay) is better then guesswork.

Both results will make linux users calm down. for me also

I force you, recommend you and ask you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to say, the idea of Adobe raising a Kickstarter fund raiser is an interesting one.  I can just imagine the reaction from all those Creative Cloud subscription haters (of whom there are substantially less than there were three years ago).

But amusing thoughts of spectacular over reactions aside, Google is still your friend

How can I install photoshop cs6 on ubuntu 14.04? - Ask Ubuntu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
May 08, 2016 May 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to say, the idea of Adobe raising a Kickstarter fund raiser is an interesting one.

I doubt Adobe, the company, can well afford to enter into obligations towards a bunch of individuals based on such an arrangement.

While the initially raised money may cover the port it would be a gamble whether the subscriptions would cover the running costs for sustained support of the platform.

And if Adobe did that and a couple of years down the road decided to abandon the OS the ensuing outrage might be considerably worse than the current annoyance of Linux-users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 08, 2016 May 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe raises capital the old fashioned way, the stock market.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
May 12, 2016 May 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think most people in this thread are missing the real issue here, and that is the issue of NEW money. See, those of us that are asking for Photoshop on Linux mostly already subscribe to it on Win/Mac, because it is a required tool of the trade. They're already getting our money. If they actually make a Linux version, sure a lot of us would switch, but there wouldn't be much NEW money coming in from that. Adobe knows that most everyone who needs their product is already using their product, and corporations only exist to make money for their investors, anyone who thinks otherwise is deluded.

Developing for a different OS, when you already have all the users simply doesn't make financial sense. They're not going to commit resources to a project without a projected return on investment. This is a monopoly tactic, and until there is threat of serious competition, Adobe is not going to move an inch on this. They don't care that their users would rather use a different OS and this is literally the only tool preventing them from doing that.

Adobe, you can throw numbers at us all day about the number of Linux desktop users not being high enough, but the real truth is that you already have all of the subscriptions, so you feel you don't NEED to make a Linux port.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 16, 2016 May 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since Windows 10 is more Mickey Mouse (telephone) OS, many people need possibility to use Photoshop on PC under more serious operating system.  How about Photoshop for Linux?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are certainly not alone with that wish

Photoshop for Linux OS?

But Adobe offering and supporting Photoshop for a third platform seems highly unlikely.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See also

Photoshop: Provide support for Linux | Photoshop Family Customer Community

where you could add your vote, but the responses by Adobe employees do not seem encouraging – which some Linux proponents seem to have problems with …

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since Windows 10 is more Mickey Mouse (telephone) OS, many people need possibility to use Photoshop on PC under more serious operating system.  How about Photoshop for Linux?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jacek#01 wrote:

many people need possibility to use Photoshop on PC under more serious operating system. How about Photoshop for Linux?

How many people would that be?  Linux users are devout but still trail Mac in useage. OSX like Linux is a Unix like OS. Perhaps you should convert to Apple. OS Statistics

Operating system market share

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rather on Greenland ice melts as I convert to apple.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 18, 2016 May 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why is Photoshop not supported on Linux machines? Many apps are, including games, but not Photoshop.

As a web frontend developer. The only reason I have to use Windows is Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 18, 2016 May 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Guys,

Do you have existing any photoshop or any plan to release Photoshop for linux platform?

Thanks,
Shailesh

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 08, 2016 Jun 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Cris,

You have wrote "seriously: how long can they go without standardizing APIs?"

Nowadays Linux have "Snappy" and "Flatpak" The second is better. So you will not need to support a zoo of Linux distros.

I think one of reasons is crossed out!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Jun 19, 2016 Jun 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I couldn't agree more ... here is another argument for you ... the money that I am supposed to spend on Windows, I'd rather spend it on Adobe PhS+LTR. The old argument that Linux people do not want to spend money on software, well, it doesn't hold anymore especially with the release of Windows 10... That, people, said it all.

Adobe, pretty please, at least Photoshop + Lightroom ... on Linux.
here's another thought... if PhaseOne, tomorrow, released its Capture One 9 Pro for Linux, I'd ditch Windows and Adobe... in one swift move ... and I am pretty sure, I wouldn't be the only one. Adobe, catch my drift ???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jun 19, 2016 Jun 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'll have to build a much stronger business case than some simple coffee shop chat and a few anecdotes.

Even CIO.com do not see any immediate future for Adobe Cloud on Linux desktops

11 predictions for Linux in 2016 | CIO

Votes

Translate

Translate

Jun 22, 2016 Jun 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the contribution John, never been a fan of predictions myself ...

I just happened to be in a coffee shop when I decided to share my thoughts with you guys ...

I have never been keen on fanboys either, as a matter of fact ... How's your take on the PS latest news ? Inspiring, don't you think ?
Capture One keeps looking a lot better by the minute ...

So much for a stronger business case ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 25, 2016 Jun 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry if this is an old post I am replying to, but I have been using Photoshop since 1994 and I have yet to see a survey asking me if I would use Photoshop on Linux. And the answer would be heck yeah. I seriously don't understand you guys. Why would I want a fisher-price OS to run my business on? One in which is changed every year for the sole purpose of exciting users into buying it again and again.

Real professionals want stability and longevity. Linux gives us that. I think the market is bigger than you think. The problem is you guy with your multi-billion dollar valuations are too scared to take ANY risk at all. You go for low hanging fruit only. My hope is that open source will at some point make a credible alternative. And if it does and it starts to take business away from you only then will you realize how stupid you've been. You guys always wait until it is too late, then act like you give a crap about the public at large. You do and say anything to get the business. But you do the least amount of effort to get it.

We're sick and tired of Apple and Microsoft. And frankly, we're getting sick and tired of you too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alex Alexzander wrote:

We're sick and tired of Apple and Microsoft. And frankly, we're getting sick and tired of you too.

You right you as a professional clearly want stability.  Why would  you state heck yeah I would use Photoshop on Linux. Why would Photoshop be stable on Linux? Adobe is always making changes to their software, bugs are released and old versions of Adobe software is not supported. Adobe would need to change their behavior for you.  While I expect Adobe to make changes. I do not expect Adobe will change their ways.  I have been using Photoshop now for 20+ years. If anything changes are more frequent now and more bugs get released. Adobe installers by default now want to remove you current working Photoshop when a new version of Photoshop is installed. Clearly you do not want Photoshop its not for you.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because Linux is stable.

I got Windows 10 not too long ago and on a Dell Studio XPS laptop which uses an nvidia 960m GPU. This was just a few months ago and multiple times per day the act of simply launching photoshop would cause a general fault and I'd have to reboot and lose all that I was doing. Windows and MacOS are consumer toys. Linux, often has very long term support and you won't see stability compromised all the time as we do with MacOS and Windows.

I would GLADLY run Photoshop inside of Red Hat Linux 6.x or 7.x. Red Hat is still updating Red Hat 5.x. And when they do, they keep the same kernel, but just back-port bugs to the earlier version. The apps mostly stay in freeze the whole time except for back-ported bug fixes. Run Red Hat 5.x or 6.x and you'll be running kernel 2.6. On Red Hat 5.x and 6.x the UI is still Gnome 2 and will not change. So Adobe, and me, would get a stable platform for a decade or more without someone attempting to RAM a new version down our throats.

With Apple, every year you're getting a company that wants to entice the user base. SO they come up with maybe 100 new features and don't give a crap about stabilizing or fixing past issues. They just want to create the new shinny. This is not in the best interests of a business trying to rely on a solid pipeline to get a job done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alex Alexzander wrote:

Because Linux is stable.

Are there Linux device drivers for every computer devices and every GPU that are stable and compatible with an Adobe Photoshop that will have bugs.  There are bugs in Photoshop that have never been address. Release after release bugs are still there. We work around them. You live in a dream world a different world than I live in.   Linux is stable on good hardware that there are good Linux drivers for. Linux is stable on such a systems. That does not make applications stable.  Other Operating systems are also stable on some hardware. Linux is not stable on all system  and does not have support for all PC hardware.  OSX is not stable on all system. Windows is not stable one all systems.  Applications are not bug free.

How many Computer are sold with Linux pre installed on them each year?

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are two ways the GPU driver can be addressed. First of all, the Linux kernel itself has an open source nVidia GPU driver built right in called, Nouveau. And if we're talking Intel it is most likely already provided in the distribution of your choice. There is also an open source version for AMD GPUs. You can check with nVidia to see what is covered. You'll find it is extensively covered directly from nVidia with a binary and proprietary driver. You can disable the built in kernel driver and use the proprietary driver if you wish. I do just that.

Furthermore, there is nothing preventing Adobe from becoming a kernel contributor. Because the Linux kernel is completely open source, they could create their own KO (kernel object) and submit those for review into the master branch. Red Hat is either the first or second largest contributor to the kernel, but so is Intel, Nvidia, Canonical and many other large companies. The maintainers and ultimately Linus decide what is included or not but anyone can contribute. Anyone can write kernel modules. Oracle for example offers a clone of Red Hat but they also provide their own version of the kernel designed to make Oracle the database perform better. The user can use either. Again, we're open so these things are not closed to the user.  

I don't live in a dream world. I live in the same world you live in. I simply have a better understanding of the options that are available to me than you do.

There is no way to know how many computers run Linux because we don't count them at the point of sale like you would with Windows and Macs. We can easily estimate the Mac and PC size based on commercial sales data provided by publicly traded corporations. I bought a Dell XPS model 9550 with Windows on it. It runs Linux now. So that counts as a Windows sale, yet Windows is not running on it at all. It's been completely wiped free and it runs Ubuntu 16.04 now. So who counted that? Ask the Document Foundation how many people run Libre Office. Would it surprise you to know that the answer you get will be that they have no idea.

Since Red Hat is free to package Libre Office with Red Hat Client Linux and Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation, all of those installations of Red Hat have absolutely no call-back to the Document Foundation. They have no idea. How many times has CentOS been installed? We don't know. what about Ubuntu? No idea. We can count downloads, but again that doesn't pain an accurate picture at all. Once it is downloaded it can be installed hundreds of times over. There is no activation to a central server which counts machines. You're free to install it anywhere and everywhere.

Pre-installed doesn't matter at all. That's your sad attempt to use your own guess of the opportunity here. You have no idea what the opportunity is. What you do have are real people who work in real industry saying they'd love to see the choice. And the post I saw here was a guy who's been around a bit and in every case he's seen the desire for such a thing. I have had the desire for this for over a decade. No one has ever asked me in a survey what my opinion on this matter is. And I have yet to see Adobe come to LinuxCon and ask us.

You can choose to avoid us if you like, but as Microsoft has learned, that doesn't work. Sooner or later we'll just write something that competes with you and put you out of business or at least give you one hell of a run for the money since what we create we give away. Now, Adobe has two choices. They could support us, or they could wait for us to make a multi platform, FREE image manipulation tool that does compete with Adobe.

Just look up Krita. We've been raising money for it year after year and making it damn good and free. At some point many consumers might start to realize they don't have to pay a monthly fee to rent software. They can OWN it. Now if Adobe wants to cover their eyes and ears and play dumb forever, that's their choice.  You have an audience that has asked for your support and is willing to pay for it. If Adobe wishes to ignore it, then we'll likely just create that which we need. We're used to it.

Votes

Translate

Translate