• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop freezes when zooming and dragging canvas - iMac 2013 MAJOR ISSUE!

Explorer ,
Jul 09, 2020 Jul 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an issue where my canvas freezes when I zoom in or drag the canvas, and it remains stuck on the screen. I can move the canvas normally but I cant move anything or interact. No layers, no tools or buttons do anything.

Mac user, late 2013 model. Im updated to the latest versions and such. 

Ive posted already here about it on a similar thread with the same issue but im fed up now. Had the problem for a while. The other day I was trying to cut out an image (very small file) and every minute or so it freezes so I have to reopen the file. So file size doesnt effect it. Zooming, moving and dragging the screen around seems to make it happen and on a frequent basis.

Ive already been advised to turn off the graphics card which isn't a cure as it still happens after this and this should never be a cure as its horrible to work in with it deactivated. I have also been advised to turn Legacy Compositing on or off which was turned off so I tried turning it on and closed and reopended PS. I then get a ghost version of whatever I move left in its place. So if I move a box for example there is a duplicate box still in the origional place but I cant delete it or move as if it where a ghost image of the origional. So this is not the answer.

I have friends with the same issue and also read other posts and complaints about it so its wide spread. Whats going on?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Explorer ,
Jul 22, 2020 Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue and like you said turning off GPU acceleration is not an option.

I also noticed if I have multiple tabs / pictures open and it freezes in one, it will still continue to work in the other ones.

Mac Pro late 2013 here too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2020 Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue running the latest PS on a Windows 10 Pro machine and have to come to realize there is no online helpdesk anymore 😞

If I have to go thru this to be able to replace the sky I prefer downgrading to the previous version !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2021 Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ten sam problem. Dostaję szału. Czy ktoś sobie z tym poradził?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 14, 2023 Jun 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been left with no option but to rant even if this is an old thread. I've been using PS for six years and this is still an issue even with your latest software. You're the leaders in this editing type software and almost every day I run into some kind of issue. Lucky I'm not a professional being paid by clients, yet. It's unbelievable!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2023 Sep 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Same here! This is been going on for years now with no fix. It's frustrating to lose so much time working like this. If this is not solved on the next update I am leaving Photoshop. It's ridiculous to pay every month for a broken product. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which exact version of Photoshop and OS?

How much RAM and spare disk capacity do you have?

Have you tried resetting the Photoshop  preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

for me OS version is 10.15.6

Photoshop 21.2.1 (just updated today)

32 GB of RAM

2 x AMD FirePro D300 2GB

I did not try to reset the preferences, I will see if that does somesting.

The problem is that is happens quite at random and is not that easy to reproduce.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having this problem extremely frequently, every 5 minutes or so. I turned off rulers (CMD+R) and it happens less frequently. Once a day if that. Let me know if you have a fix, tried everything else. Resetting preferences, changing GPU settings, etc. Everything is up-to-date, Photoshop, Apple OS, etc.

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017)

4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7

16 GB 2400 MHz DDR4

Radeon Pro 575 4 GB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2020 Aug 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue. MBP 16". Tried all the reccomendations but it still comes and goes randomly. Canvas freezes then I have to restart photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2020 Aug 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here, tryed all suggestin and problem persists.  And no, Adobe, turning off GPU isn't the sollution :/. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 17, 2020 Aug 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here random freeze almost 75% of the time when Zoomed to 100% scrubbing around with handtool freezes window until closed and reopened. 

Image.png

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 18, 2020 Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to update this has not been resolved. I have tried everything that has been suggested both on here, on a seperate post and I have also been messaged by an adobe rep to advise and I have tried everything they have suggested but still no fix. 

There are other posts with this issue and since creating this I have been PM'd by people asking if Ive had it sorted as they are in the same boat. Theres a clear issue here with the software that we are all suffering with. It makes the photoshop unbearable to work in.

Adobe where you at? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 18, 2020 Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David,

We're sorry that the issue persists. We have rolled out an update for Photoshop (21.2.2). Please update Photoshop to the latest version and check if that helps. Also, have you tried disabling rulers to check if that makes a difference?

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 23, 2020 Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got the same problem the update did not fix this, at all. The exact same thing happens with me, drawing with my tablet, and I use space bar - canvas freeze even tho PS seems to still work, I can choose tools but can't do anything. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 01, 2020 Sep 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Joss I appreciate the assist pal. Unfortunately those are general ways to improve performance. This isnt a performance issue. This happens on any job at any size when performance isnt even close to being a problem and also continues to allow you to edit other files that are open in photoshop at the same time but freezes the one you are using.

I have done everything including a full reset. These wont fix it. The issue is a problem with software. 

Thanks though. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2020 Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's the rulers. Turn those off and the freezing will stop, but you'll now enjoy Adobe's latest feature; glitchy greying-out when selecting with the pen. You can use the Lasso with rulers on and it wont freeze... but what is this... 1998?

Dear Adobe, COME ON!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its not the rulers for me it makes no difference if they are active or not. Id maybe take 1998 right now, might get my work finished in one sitting!  Yeah Adobe pull your finger out!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turning off the rulers provides no reduction of random window freeze when zoomed to 100% on my machine.

Thanks for the suggestion though,  lucky it works for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, there's no relationship to the Rules or performance settings. It's already time for Adobe to fix it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is really important to take notice of that I started this post in July having suffered for a while with this issue and reading other posts with the exact same problem. I have tried everything that has been recomended.

Well I have today took delivery of a BRAND NEW 2020 imac 27 inch high spec. Fully updated all the software and since then I have been working in photoshop (nothing but photoshop) for less than an hour and guess what happend, guess!

YES, Its crashed again. 

WHAT is Adobe actually doing about this!?

Even if they just added that they are working on a fix would be great. I know they have read this post as I have spoke to an adobe rep directly on my PM's about it. After I did all the things they said were the problem one after the other they stopped replying. Nothing, not even a 'we will investigate this further'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 03, 2020 Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still testing this solution but so far no crashing: turning off animated zoom (Edit/Performance/Tools) seems to stop the bug. Of course that this isn't problem solving and Adobe still needs to take a serious look at it. And i'm still need a few hours trying this to make sure...
image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 04, 2020 Sep 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oookay, after some hours the bug happened, so this doesn solve the problem =/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi friendz

I'm facing same issue when, i have an issue my canvas freezes when I zoom in or drag the canvas, and it remains stuck on the screen. I can move the canvas normally but I cant move anything or interact. No layers, no tools or buttons do anything. Can someone guide me how to resolve this problem. I have to do important work on it, but my work is stopped due to this issue. Please guide me.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only thing I am able to do is save the file and reopen. I can then
continue on until the next freeze.
Perhaps a prior version of Photoshop would work better. Good Luck

*JONATHAN URBAN*

Photographer

*L*ACM*A*

T: 323 932 5807

E: jurban@lacma.org

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines