• EspaƱol
      • FranƧais
      • PortuguĆŖs
  • ę—„ęœ¬čŖžć‚³ćƒŸćƒ„ćƒ‹ćƒ†ć‚£
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop freezing at 99% when saving file.

New Here ,
Dec 08, 2019 Dec 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. At about a week long I cant save files with smart objects and smart effects. Saving always freezing at 99% and force quit is needed. After Im not able to start PS and I need to restart mac. All the changes I made are lost of course. Is it a bug or is there any solution? Thx

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 08, 2021 Apr 08, 2021

Hi @Mallory5FE2 ,

Sorry to hear about your damaged file. Please follow the information at https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/photoshop-freezing-at-99-when-saving-file/m-p/11651448#M491185 

This should resolve the problem. If you are saving to local disk then the small files have used up all your memory and your virtual memory is not sufficient to manage the files. Follow the instructions for the settings suggested and remove files you are finished with or not working with to an external dr

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 195 Replies 195
Community Beginner ,
Apr 17, 2020 Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a mac pro desktop version 64g memory I have 7 external drives 43TB  plus 256gb SSD main drive, i hate to think I have to format all these drives

there has to be a fix somewhere, never happened till I upgraded to Catalina

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 13, 2020 Jan 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For Catalina Users:

Go to Apple System Preferences>Security & Privacy > Privacy tab > Full Disk Access.

Make sure Photoshop is in this list and checked (active). If not hit the + sign and add it to the list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 27, 2020 Feb 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, When I recently upgraded to Catalina OS I encountered this situation where my PS 21.1.0 would freeze at 99% saving to my external hard disk. After going back and forth between Apple and Adobe help desks, an Adobe agent helped and checked off Full Disk Access to PhotoShop 20. It worked fine a few times and has now returned. I suggest that it beyond impractical to recommend that a photographer save to a local hard disk. I have close to 10 TB of image files, and this is constantly growing. Any more suggested fixes?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 27, 2020 Feb 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reformat your external per Apple instructions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 07, 2020 Feb 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is NOT Catalina!! It's adobe PS 20. Period.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 08, 2020 Mar 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue on Windows 10. It does save eventually, but stuck on 99% for a minute or so. PSD Compression could be the culprit, as depsite the 99% complete, you can watch the file saving in super small increments. Considering we have 128gig of ram, 64cores, Samsung pro SSD's with plenty of space free and scratch this is super frustrating. Not saving over a network share either, and even if we were, we are runing 10GBE networking with SSD Cache drives on the server. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 14, 2020 May 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too. With latest Windows 10 and latest Photoshop CC, and no changes to hardware, Photoshop has started to stall at 99% for an annoying period of time. My local drive is 75% filled wth 586GB free.

If it's a permissions issue, I'll need help as I don't understand why my apps don't have full permissions through my admin user account.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 14, 2020 May 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tom,

With Windows 10, if Windows Security blocks your application, a notification usually pops up to the lower right side of the monitor. But just in case you did not notice, at the extreme right end of the tray is an icon that turns black whenever there is notification available.

Click on that icon.You will notice a dialogue box slides out from the right of the monitor.

Look to see if you see one or several "Virus & Threat Protection" notice.

Click on the notice and the security settings page will open showing a list of what is blocked to the right of which will indicate "High", or "Low risk".

Photoshop would have "Low" beside it, hence you can click on one of which you see low.

Then allow the app to make changes. This will open up the details of the list so that you can find out if Windows Security have been blocking Photoshop.

If or when you identify Photoshop, just click "Allow". That will work if Windows Security has been blocking Photoshop. 

If you have other security apps on your system, then you will need to say what and hope someone will be able to assist you.

Best wishes

JG 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 05, 2021 Oct 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, i wanted to know if you have any answer about this issue.

I have High sierrra and PS 2020 and i still have this problem.

can you help me?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 06, 2021 Oct 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@defaultel6elq9476hs can you check the version of Photoshop that you have in help>system info... ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2021 Oct 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop 2020 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 08, 2021 Nov 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try updating to the latest version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 29, 2019 Dec 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue on my MacBook Pro 2017 (16 RAM).  It's super frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 29, 2019 Dec 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 30, 2019 Dec 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Per the OP - Photoshop isn't crashing, it's stalling at 99% so the users are force-quitting the app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi kstohimeyer, 

I suggest you follow the information I post here re crash report, except you will state that it stalls at 99% saving forcing you to quit the app. Please state whatever procedure you use to quit the app and that a crash report utility did not pop up.

Best wishes

Jacquelin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone, 

We are really sorry about the inconvenience the crash issue must be causing your. However for it to be fixed this is what each of you will need to do:

Send a crash report to the product team at Adobe.

In the crash report give detailed description of what you have been doing leading up to the crash. Do not make any assumption. Outline step by step what you have been doing leading up to the crash.

In your description you need to include the exact version number, and built number the bug happens in. Saying it is the latest version is not adequate because you might not have the latest version.

To find the version number and bill number go to the "About screen".

Include your system specifications include - exact video card and driver number, and also none obvious hardware, or software info..

Attach a photo or screenshot, test media, and video of the bug happening. A video is super helpful since it will record all the steps leading up to the bug. The video can be recorded using a cellular phone.

For live scree capturing on Mac the Quicktime utility is useful. On windows the cel'phone video will work fine.

If the utility pops up enter the relevant info including your e-mail address and submit it. The e-mail address may be useful for gathering further relevant information from you. 

You may share the media info (video, photos) with the product team using a dropbox account, Google cloud account, or creative cloud account. And of course if a utility pop-up did not occur, an e-mail will work well.

I hope your found this helpful

Best wishes

JG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you confirmed that you have allowed Photoshop permission to access your HD (to save)?

Go to Apple System Pref/Security&Privacy/Privacy and make sure Adobe Photoshop is in the list and checked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi kstohimeyer,

I might be wrong, but if it were blocked access, I believe there would be a prompt that says access of file (name) is blocked from making changes to the computer. Also I would not expect the requirement of a restart, as in the case of the original question, to gain further access to the application or any other. I am here assuming everyone posting on this thread is having similar experience.

Best wishes

JG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 31, 2019 Dec 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are incorrect. It only pops up once when you first launch Photoshop. If you do not accept the change, Photoshop stalls when saving files with no additional errors.

It's a Catalina/Mojave issue with the new Mac security settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 31, 2019 Dec 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for that bit of information. Windows Security behaves differently.

Regards

JG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2020 Jan 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same problem running PS in Catalina on a 2015 MB. Files are usually hosted on a Samsung T5 ssd, but it happens when I work off the local drive, too. Seems like using smart objects or even just adding a simple blemish removal layer to the background will set it off. Super annoying to lose time-intensive work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 15, 2020 Jan 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you check your Apple security settings to make sure you've allowed PS access to your files/folders?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

In my case the Photoshop has been added, but it's still crashing on network and/or external drives. It's PS 2020 running on Catalina 10.15.2 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But running fine on local?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines