Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop freezing/crashing mac Big Sur

Community Beginner ,
Mar 27, 2022 Mar 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone.

First of all I want to say I'm usually pretty good at troubleshooting commputer issues, but this one is driving me nuts.

I own a macbook pro late 2013 with updated PS and Big Sur versions. and I've been using photoshop well over 5 years. I use it for photo editing.

It only started, maybe a month or so, randomly freezing/crashing. It only happens when photoshop is running, so I'm guessing that would be the issue as no other time my computer will be affected. 

What does exactly happen? After only a few minutes (no more than 5) of PS running, either one of two things will happen: The computer unexpectedly shutting down or the system freezing and staying frozen for about 10 seconds before having the fans going full speed and right after just shutting down. 

I don't know how to get a log report as it seems PS is not registering as having crashed. 

At first I thought my battery was causing the issue as it was in pretty bad shape, so I replaced it, but nothing changed. 

I downgraded PS to the 22.X versions but still having the same issue. 
I only use one plugin (Beauty Retouch) and have been using it for a long time without and issues. 

I really need help as I cannot even work on my images anymore and I'm losing clients. 

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

First thing to try when Photoshop misbehaves is to reset the preferences

2022-03-27 15_13_37-Adobe Photoshop 2022.png

If that doesn't help try using the Adobe Cleaner Tool

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't modified my settings in a long time so I'm not sure how that will help, however I will try it out! Thank you for the suggestion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I did the settings reset, didn't work. 

I opened an image and left PS open. I was away from my computer but looking at the screen (I was on the phone) and roughly 2 minutes after I opeened PS, the computer shut down.

I turned on the mac, did not get any crash/log/incident/report message. It is as if the shut down properly. 

Note: If I am not using PS, my mac can stay on without problems.

If I have PS open without any file open, I does not crash (I left the laptop overnight with LR and PS open just to check). 

I have GPU disabled under preferences to rule out GPU issues. gfxCardStatus does not seem to disable dedicated graphics (as it jumps back to default option) so I can't manually disbale my GPU. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Resetting the preferences restores Photoshop to it's default state, sometimes the Photoshop preferences file can become corrupt, I don't experience any issues running Photoshop but I'm on Windows, there are bugs in Photoshop but nothing that affects my work flow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

the problem persists after restting the settings.

Installing a previous versios did not worl either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines