Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop hangs aftfer closing file

Community Beginner ,
Jun 01, 2020 Jun 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Noticed an issue with the latest PS. If I close a file, no matter how small it is, PS hangs/freezes for a few seconds once I close it. It's not a major issue, but it never used to be there so it's annoying.

This happens if you have multiple files, or even just one.

Anyone else had this, and any pointers on resolving?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Jun 01, 2020 Jun 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry that Photoshop is freezing while closing a file.

Which version of Photoshop are you using and on which operating system?

Could you please checkout the steps below:

• Turn on the Legacy Compositing option in Performance preferences. Choose Edit > Preferences > Performance (Windows) or Photoshop > Preferences > Performance (macOS). Select Legacy Compositing. Quit and relaunch Photoshop.

• Reset the app preferences for Photoshop:
    To restore preferences quickly using a keyboard shortcut: Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift as you start Photoshop. You are prompted to delete the current settings. The new preferences files are created the next time you start Photoshop.
    Also, make sure that you back up all your custom presets, brushes & actions before restoring Photoshop's preferences. See https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preset-migration.html 

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 28, 2020 Aug 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Akash, 

I'm experiencing the same issue that MrConnor described. Every time I'm closing a file of any size, Photoshops just hangs and doesn't respond for a few seconds before it goes back to normal. The delay is quite annoying, especially when I'm trying to close several files in a row. I have a desktop and a laptop with Photoshop installed, both have this issue for a few weeks now. I tried the steps you described in your reply, but it just didn't help.

One thing worth mentioning may be that I have also a custom action that crops a file to a specific size, saves it and then closes it. The issue doesn't ever occur when I use this action, only if I close files manually by pressing CTRL+W or using the File > Close command. I also noticed that the problem only happens with opened files. If I create a new file I can save and close it just fine, without the freeze. But when I open it again and try to close it the freeze persists.

Do you have any other possible solution? Thank you in advance for your kind help!

Balazs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 24, 2020 Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem.

Since version 21 of Photoshop, the hangs occurs when closing a file that already exists on the hard disk. I have Windows 10, two SSDs with enough space for cache and storage, Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070 latest version of the driver, all optimized according to Adobe guides, etc.

Any solution?

Thanks, Alberto

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there! To me the problem seems to be solved, not sure how though. I did try to turn off autosave and background save functionality and turned them back on, but I'm not sure if this is what solved it. It may be worth a try.
Balazs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No work for me... but thanks anyway!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 01, 2020 Oct 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you use FontBase font manager by any chance?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! I use FontBase... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so earlier I fixed the issue on my desktop PC though I wasn't sure how. Now I'm working from home on my laptop and the same problem occured, so I investigated further. What I found out is that it's all ok when FontBase is running, even if only in the background. When I close FontBase the issue comes back, but once I run it again it's back to normal.

FontBase used to start automatically on Windows startup in a minimized mode, but it seems for some reason it wasn't starting anymore (it also disappeared from the Windows Task Manager's startup applications list). What I did is I unchecked the autostart option in FontBase and checked it again, and now it does start automatically again when I boot up my PC and this solved the issue for me in Photoshop. I hope this helps you too - try closing a file in PS with FontBase running.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried all the options with fontbase (enabling start automatically, installing, uninstalling ...) but the problem persist. We will continue to investigate! Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 20, 2020 Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! After uninstalling fontbase, you need to manually remove the plugin in the photoshop folder. It helped in my case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2020 Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked! The problem is solved unistalling the plugin. I keep fontbase intalled for other programs except photoshop.

Thanks for the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2021 Jan 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, thank you, thank you to all who mentioned Fontbase!

Thank you again. I've just spent 1 hour, installing, uninstalling, updating etc with Adobe chat and nothing.
Google search and I've found my answer.

How many times can I say thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 20, 2021 Feb 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Removing the FontBase plugin solved for me - thanks for the tip - was driving me nuts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 30, 2021 Apr 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The FontBase plugin was the culprit on my system too. I did a complete wipe of Windows and fresh install of CC, but the issue seemed to continue for me... But I had also reinstalled FontBase as my font manager. Manual removal of the plugin soved the lag issue completely.

I've contacted FontBase to complain —er, um— mention the issue 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 30, 2021 Apr 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And FontBase was also causing a lag for me in Illustrator too!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 23, 2021 May 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CC 2021

removing FontBase plugin didn't solved it for me, neither uninstalling Fontbase.

reseting photoshop didn't worked either.

Then, I lowered the ram reserved for photoshop from 5GB to 3GB (Preferences > Performance) and now photoshop is like a butter!

appearantlly, too much ram can hurts. Even though I have 8GB and only 1GB is used, photoshop hangs on closing/saving files. I reinstalled Fontbase and it still work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 28, 2021 Feb 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow... I had the excact same problem... closing a file would always hang photoshop for a few seconds.. drove me nuts.
I wasn't even using fontbase anymore but the plugin was still in the adobe folder. I deleted it and the problem was solved!
Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2021 Jul 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

After searching a lot, I found this topic that gave me an orientation to solve, thank you very much!
Just sharing my experience, after uninstalling FontBase it still kept crashing, and there was nothing in the CEP folder.
The solution was to use the Windows search, and search for "fontbase" in the "AppData" and "Program Files" folders, so I was able to find all the files that were still left from FontBase and solve the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines