• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop help :(

New Here ,
Apr 08, 2023 Apr 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wondering if anybody can help me, I have been working on a document today in Photoshop with no problems. Suddenly when I've gone to save a new selection the title of my document wasn't there and instead replaced with 'new' and the channel was also called 'new'. No idea what has happened? I now can't save any new selections to the document i'm working on which is really frustrating. There is also an 'i' in a star next to the title of my document on its tab. Any help is really appreciated. 

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Apr 11, 2023 Apr 11, 2023

The only way I found so far to reproduce the behaviour is for the image to already have 56 Channels (R, G, B + 53 more in my case). 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Apr 11, 2023 Apr 11, 2023

If you really need that many stored Selections you can use Layer Masks (on empty Layers or Groups) to save them without exhausting that Channel limitation. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Apr 09, 2023 Apr 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please post screenshots with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Options Bar, …) visible? 

Could you accidentally have created a new document? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2023 Apr 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply. I started again today and it has happened again, no idea why ? It just suddenly removes my document and is replaced with 'new' meaning I can't save. I am probably doing something silly, pretty new to photoshop 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 10, 2023 Apr 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would using the Channels Panel’s button be an option for you? 

Screenshot 2023-04-10 at 12.11.27.png

Your issue seems curious indeed, curious enough to merit some all-purpose trouble-shooting possibly.  

Restoring Preferences after making sure all customized presets like Actions, Patterns, Brushes etc. have been saved might be a good starting point:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/basic-trouble-shooting-steps.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 10, 2023 Apr 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to make sure: How many Alpha Channels does the document have at current? 

Edit: With 53 Alpha Channels in an RGB image I can reproduce the issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 11, 2023 Apr 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know it will be no comfort, but I noticed that too a couple of times. I did resolve it and it was really simple, now of course I can't remenber how 🙂
Can you show the channel panel when you get that pop up window (the one that only says "new" instead of giving you the option between "new" and "your document"
I am asking because I am pretty sure it has to do with how the channel are organised/selected.
I will try to reproduce while I'm at it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only way I found so far to reproduce the behaviour is for the image to already have 56 Channels (R, G, B + 53 more in my case). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's hope it pops in my head again 🙂
Or maybe it was with an older version, who knows...
That's probably the stupiest answer I have ever made, from so many 🙂
I saw the 53 channels issue, maybe that was the same problem with me, although it seemed unlikely, well... There is also the problem when the file is in bitmap (as you cannot save selections within the document) but that's not the case here.

Unless I got a solution, I'll leave it there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for your reply. I've counted and there is exactly 53 channels that i've made. 56 in total with R,G,B etc. Is there any work around with this? I have an even bigger task after this one is finished with looming deadlines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you really need that many stored Selections you can use Layer Masks (on empty Layers or Groups) to save them without exhausting that Channel limitation. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you have hit the 56 Channel limit?

An image can have up to 56 channels.«

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/channel-basics.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines