Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop image distorts when placed into InDesign

Explorer ,
Dec 14, 2017 Dec 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all.

I'm posting here because I feel the issue is with the Photoshop file in question, and not InDesign.

A video editor gave me screen grabs of a talk show. When I opened the grabs, they all had [scaled] as part of their title. This is not in the actual file name, only when I open the file (see attached). The [scaled] even appears when I Save As and call it something else! Not sure how this came about. The videographer isn't even sure!

However, the photos all look proportionate within Photoshop. It's when I import them into InDesign that they appear distorted.

Also, when the files are previewed in my Finder and in the Recent Files window within Photoshop, they are distorted.

scaled.png

Any thoughts?

B.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are you placing these images into inDesign?

You have to actually place images so that they're linked. CTRL+D or File>Place

Also, inDesign does not show jpgs or any other images created outside of inDesign at full resolution. Export your indd document as a PDF and you'll see your images look as they should.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WILDCAT54  wrote

Also, inDesign does not show jpgs or any other images created outside of inDesign at full resolution. Export your indd document as a PDF and you'll see your images look as they should.

InDesign can show placed images at full resolution, if you choose View > Display Performance > High Quality Display. InDesign only seems to show images at low resolution because it defaults to Typical Display. (The third option, Fast Display, displays proxies in place of images.)

Also, the problem in this thread happens even if the images are placed, since it's related to the pixel aspect ratio in the image file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see. I misunderstood

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is because video frequently uses non-square pixels. You can see (and change) what the pixel aspect ratio is in View > Pixel Aspect Ratio, and you can turn off the scaling with View > Pixel Aspect Ratio Correction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to both of you.

I am actually using the "Place" command in InDesign

Semaphoric, I think your answer is closest to solving my problem. However, Pixel Aspect Ratio Correction is already selected on the jpegs from the videographer. When I deslect it, the [scaled] disappears from the title, but the image looks squished within Photoshop!

And if I select any of the Pixel Aspect Ratio options, it just stretches it in various ways and adds that [scaled] back to the titie.

Hmmm.

I just asked the videographer and he said he exported  out of Premiere's build in Export screen grab feature, and that when he opened them in Photoshop, it was adjusting the pixel ratio automatically.

I guess there is no other way around this, right now, but to "stretch the images manually within InDesign.

B

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BellyBuckle9  wrote

I guess there is no other way around this, right now, but to "stretch the images manually within InDesign.

B

No, of course not. Create an action in Photoshop to scale your image non-proportionally to 1920x1080, and then run a batch command on the folder with your images. Done. Place in InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, as Semaphoric mentioned, that's due to the aspect pixel ratio. Unfortunately, I can see no way of embedding that into the image. Only way I can think of doing it is to resize the image based on the pixel ratio, which should show if you go to the view menu. Say it says the ration is 1.2. So, turn off the pixel aspect ration, go to resize image and uncheck the linked option. Change the scale to percent and type in 120 into the width.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 18, 2022 Jul 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi all,

Take a look at the following article for the right workflow to prevent distortion or pixelation issues while moving files between Photoshop and InDesign: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/photoshop-assets-in-indesign.html

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines