• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop Image permissions locked to user

Community Beginner ,
Oct 06, 2022 Oct 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since lockdown and working from home we are experiencing an issue with some but not all images we use within our organisation. Certain project image files are locked to a specific user and they cannot be copied into a different location or packaged up in InDesign when used for a report. The only workaround we currently have is to open every affected image (and PS or ID do not tell us which file is not working so it's everything) and re-save it in a different place. Then the Indesign packaging works but for that person only. THe images will now be locked to the person who re-saved them and if anyone else wants to package the document later on, say after an update, they have the same problem. Our IT guys can't help, everything they've tried has failed. It only seems to affect certain folders on the server. Anyone got any ideas?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That sounds nasty! We had an issue, where users were saving to their personal folder, not a shared folder. But resaving them to a shared folder solved the issue. My only thoughts, which isn't a good one is to open the files and copy and paste the layers into a new doc. Very labor intensive. Maybe a script could automate the process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's certainly something we haven't tried! They are only jpgs so no layers. We have tried opening and saving them elsewhere which doesn't work or only for the user. I'm wondering if there is a way to remove the lock to a specific user and allow all users rights...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you would have to move them to a shared folder and then open the permission dialog, at least on Win. We've had to do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 07, 2022 Oct 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They are all in shared folders. The permissions dialog - you mean in folder explorer - right click - properties? I think that's been tried by another colleague and didn't help either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Susie_Bert 

Can you do this in InDesign:

• Open the Links panel and make it really, really wide.
  • Confirm the lower half is open (there is a toggle)
  • Select the first image and look at the path. If you can't see all of it, make the panel even wider.
  • Click next, next, next or simply select some of the other images and look at their paths

Where are these images being stored? Are they on a hard drive in an employees home? Look at some of the images that work as well and see where they are located. This may (or may not) help you to see the issue.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Morning Jane,

I have checked all the paths as I wanted to copy them over to a new location when I thought it had to do with server speed or something. They are all on the server, in locations that all staff share. When trying to copy over a jpg to another location it comes up with an error saying this file is locked to john doe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Susie_Bert 

One other thought, Susie, and I don't know if it will help or not. Can you see if the files are "checked out" by the user? This help file explains how to do it in both InDesign and InCopy:

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/managed-files.html

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines