• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop is not intuitive for an Illustrator user

New Here ,
Aug 23, 2021 Aug 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Illustrator a lot and ive come to love it, but today I had to use photoshop so that i can make mock ups and whatnot. I though that it would be similar to Illustrator and dear lord was I devastatingly wrong. I was at the brink of poking my eyes out every 5 minutes, im not even joking. I almost smashed my monitor a couple of times, screamed at the top of my lungs a couple of times, lost my voice, had some spasms.

Why dont object become highlited in some way when i click on them?

Why do i have to click a checkmark manually everytime i do something? And sometimes i dont even notice that i have to click that damn checkmark and i accidentaly carry on clicking other things.

WHY CANT I MOVE MY (Profanity removed by moderator) ARTBOARD WHEREVER I WANT??? 

WHY DO I HAVE TO GO TO EDIT-TRANSFORM EVERY (Profanity removed) TIME TO SCALE SOME SHITT???

WHY DO I HAVE TO MANUALLY SELECT MULTIPLE LAYERS AFTER IVE ALREADY GROUPED THEM IN ORDER TO MOVE THEM???

AND WHY THE (Profanity removed) DO I SELECT MULTIPLE LAYERS WITH "ctrl" RATHER THAN WITH "shift"????

WHY IS IT SO (Profanity removed) HARD TO COLOUR ANYTHING HERE???

This program is UTTER GARBAGE!

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 24, 2021 Aug 24, 2021

I’ve used both Illustrator and Photoshop, for many years, and it looks like you’re running into a basic difference between the two. That is the difference between how a vector graphics editing application (like Illustrator) works, and how a pixel editing application (Photoshop) works.

The reason I say that is because the differences you are complaining about are not specific to Adobe software. You would run into them if you were used to Affinity Designer (vector drawing) and got frustrated wit

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Aug 23, 2021 Aug 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»Why dont object become highlited in some way when i click on them?«

What do you mean by »object«? Layers?

If so the selected ones can clearly be noted in the Layers Panel and by checking »Show Transform Controls« for the Move Tool in the Options Bar the Transform Controls become visible on the Canvas. 

»Why do i have to click a checkmark manually everytime i do something?«

What do you mean by »do something«? Painting, selecting, … need no confirmation so are you talking about Filters, Transformations, …?

»WHY CANT I MOVE MY (OP's Profanity removed) ARTBOARD WHEREVER I WANT???«

What are you talking about? What is hindering you in moving Artboards? 

Could you please post screenshots with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Options Bar, …) visible to clarify? 

Â»WHY DO I HAVE TO GO TO EDIT-TRANSFORM EVERY (OP's Profanity removed) TIME TO SCALE SOME SHITT???«

You don’t; there is the Shortcut (cmd-T) and there is »Show Transform Controls« for the Move Tool. 

»WHY DO I HAVE TO MANUALLY SELECT MULTIPLE LAYERS AFTER IVE ALREADY GROUPED THEM IN ORDER TO MOVE THEM???«

You don’t; you can select the Group. 

»WHY IS IT SO (OP's Profanity removed) HARD TO COLOUR ANYTHING HERE???«

Coloring stuff in Photohsop does not seem to be hard, so what are you talking about? 

Edit: If you are talking about colorizing individual elements in a photograph then the difficulty would naturally depend on that photograph – how well is the element distinguishable, how strong is the color difference to the surroundings, how sharp are the edges … but that eventually gets down to masking. 

»This program is UTTER GARBAGE!«

You are apparently not familiar with Photoshop, so the problem does not seem to be the program but the assumption that the program would have to be efficiently usable without familiarizing oneself with it. 

I have not reported your post but you should be aware that you have violated the Forum guidelines. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 24, 2021 Aug 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’ve used both Illustrator and Photoshop, for many years, and it looks like you’re running into a basic difference between the two. That is the difference between how a vector graphics editing application (like Illustrator) works, and how a pixel editing application (Photoshop) works.

The reason I say that is because the differences you are complaining about are not specific to Adobe software. You would run into them if you were used to Affinity Designer (vector drawing) and got frustrated with Affinity Photo (pixel graphics), or if you were used to Corel Draw (vector drawing)  and tried out Corel PaintShop Pro (pixel graphics). You cannot select, colorize, and edit pixels the same way you edit your Illustrator vector graphics.

You need to dial back the anger and reframe what you are frustrated by so that you can learn both ways, because you are at risk of rejecting a valuable career skill. If you stay angry and reject Photoshop, then you will wall yourself off from gaining work experience with the entire 30+ year history of paint/photo/pixel editing applications, which all work like Photoshop, even before Photoshop was invented.

Another way of saying this: If you used Photoshop all your life and then tried Illustrator for a day, you would be cursing Illustrator for being an unituitive, terribly designed application because it doesn’t work the way you are used to. It’s like saying the French language is terrible because it is not like the German that you know, or that you reject all baking because it works differently than cooking dinner. Those are all wrong conclusions; those differences are there to create more options and more enjoyment for us.

Keep an open mind, try a few tutorials, watch a few videos. You will soon learn that if Photoshop was designed like Illustrator, it would be unable to work the way Photoshop needs to work. If you make the effort to learn how Photoshop and all image editing applications work, you will expand your range of career skills.

It is hard to learn a new discipline. I am still trying to learn 3D, animation, video editing, audio editing, etc. They are all too different from how Illustrator and Photoshop work. But if I curse them for working in stupid crazy ways, I will never learn them. So I do not judge them too soon, I commit the proper amount of time to study them, and eventually I understand why they have to be different and it all becomes clear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

whats funny is i say the same thing when working in illistrator.  I still can't stand it but i'm sure if i gave it a go it would make sense and thats the same with photoshop a pixel editor and illistrator a vector editor.  It maes it more confusing is the each have a small section or ability to do the others job inside and thast where it gets confusing 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@SIMEON5C7F , do you at least want to address the nonsensical and/or incorrect claims you made? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 25, 2021 Aug 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why have you not taken two minutes to learn the basics of Photoshop instead of raging? At its heart, its no different than coloring with crayons and three year olds can do that...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 08, 2021 Nov 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

lol

I'm with you buddy, I understand what you're going through. I finally got through the hair pulling of learning illustrator and starting to feel comfortable with it and sometimes have to go into PS to do things with my co-workers' files and wow it's frustrating. I got here from googling something like what you're saying becuase I needed to take a breather trying to mask or clip some things or whatever.

My frustration usually is with both programs, then also After effects and Premiere around 'masking' stuff. I've tried to learn the basics more times than I can count but the language around "masking" something has never made sense to me. So when I "mask" something it's never clear to me whether the "mask" is the thing that is being conformed to a shape or the shape that its being conformed to. the term mask doesn't make sense for defining that at all. Like idk, a gate or a pool, or really even 'crop' makes more sense. All mask says to me is something is covered up, not conformed to a shape. never mind that between PS, AI and CH (Character animator which I use a lot) the order in which a mask needs to be to work isn't always the same. Anyway, that's my gripe. 
   But I'm aware that this stuff is pretty much my fault; just gotta hit youtube and keep at them tutorials.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines