Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop keeps hanging on a powerful PC

Explorer ,
Apr 14, 2023 Apr 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've been having issues such as the brush tool stopping working or Zoom stops and I can't actually do anything despite hanging an extremely powerful PC. Any ideas how I can find the cause?
I'm workind on a photo/painting with several layers (around 20) and a size of 300 x 300 at 72 dpi.

My PC is a Pentuim i9-12900, 128 RAM, RTX 3090 Ti, (24G vram) and several SSDs.
My Photoshop is 24.3.

I really think this machine should be able to handle these files easily, so I'm guessing the issue is with photoshop.

Thanks.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

300 x 300 what?

Brush/zoom is obviously GPU-related. Update or reinstall the driver from NVidia's site. Make sure to install the studio driver, not the game ready, and perform a "clean install" to remove all traces of the old. Uncheck all the extra components in the driver package, you don't need them. Just install the base driver.

I take it that this isn't a dual-GPU machine. But if it is, you need to disable the integrated GPU.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/troubleshoot-gpu-graphics-card.html 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ha, sorry - yes, I meant 3000px X 3000px (not 300).
I'll try the driver install. This chip donesn't have a gpu component so that bit's ok.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 15, 2023 Apr 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again,

I did a fresh NVidia driver and install and Potoshop is still becoming unresponsive and needs to be restarted.
Everything else runs perfectly and Photoshop doesn't crash - I just can't move anything around teh screen, or zoom ...or use any tools actually.
My RTX 3090 Ti should handle this program easily. It runs After effects and Blender like a dream.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 16, 2023 Apr 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you use a Wacom tablet? I had the same problem you are describing and unticking the 'Use Windows Ink' option in Wacom Tablet Properties > Mapping solved it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 16, 2023 Apr 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ah! I use an XP-pen tablet but I bet it's almost exactly the same. I'll try what you suggest.

Thank you 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines