• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PhotoShop layer becomes duplicated and is arranged in multiple sizes all across the document

New Here ,
Jun 23, 2022 Jun 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't know what is causing this, but it has gotten worse over time (many months), and seems to change its "symptoms" evry now and then.

I am running an Apple iMac 2020 5K retina, 3.8GHz 8-core i7, with 128 GB memory. This machine has a AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB. OS Montery 12.4.

Most recent problem occured yesterday, when after zooming into a document, some kind of wierd effect happened, where parts of the background image was duplicated, and scattered across the document in a semi-random pattern (squares starting about in the middle of the document and continuing to the right and down. The only "normal" part of the background image that remained was now only about 1/4 of the image size in the upper left corner. All the "square" duplicates looked like they were overlaid over themselves with different blends and/or specific color channels, so that these squares, for lack of a better description, looked like Andy Warhols' Marilyn Monroe painting, where it was the same image, but with different color combinations for each one. Some had truncated-file looks with video noise lines in different spots. I could change the colors and noise/defects by turning the visibility on and off for the upper layer. I could have probably continued to work on it, but nothing I did would make the background defects go away. I saved the files as a different version, quit Photshop and reopened it. The saved file now had all the areas covered by the duplicated errors as mising and just black. The only part of the original image that remained was the upper left corner. The upper layer was intact.

This kind of "video" effect has presented itself before, sometimes as a "golden ratio-like" pattern where the duplicated image was presented as progressively smaller and smaller and in different areas. But this was the first file I had to save.

Auto save is turned off. 84 GB memory is assigned. Use Graphics Processor is checked on. Have 455 GB free scratch disk space. I usually have several apps running at the same time, InDesign, Illustrator, Acrobat, Mail, Firefox, Linotype Font Explorer... Illustrator also has funky visual problems with screen redraws at different zoom percentages. Annoying, but does not affect the file.

TIA

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 23, 2022 Jun 23, 2022

Hi @darrellj20691850, sorry you are seeing this issue.

Go to Preferences > Technology Previews... and check "Disable Native Canvas" - then restart Photoshop. Does the problem still occur? 

Thank you,

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @darrellj20691850, sorry you are seeing this issue.

Go to Preferences > Technology Previews... and check "Disable Native Canvas" - then restart Photoshop. Does the problem still occur? 

Thank you,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't vouch for the duplicate image problem, but one of the other issues I was having was the grid was only visible in certain sections and/or completerly invisible at certain zoom percentage.

That issue is gone now, so crossing my fingers it is also fixing the other issues.

I should add that this is a dual monitor setup and if I recall correctly, the issue in Illustrator dispppeared on the second monitor.

I will come back with a more definitive answer after some time running PS some more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2022 Jul 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Still glitching now with Disable Native Canvas checked. Screen freezes when zoomed in, and nothing will get the image to scale back out. All other open files can be scaled fine during this glitch. Can select different scaling sizes but image will not move or scale down even if the scaling states it is at 100% or less.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines