• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop MacBook Pro

New Here ,
Nov 14, 2022 Nov 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know if MacBook Pro m2 chip 8gb will run photoshop and Lightroom at the same time smoothly? 

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My rule of thumb is that the first 8gb is only enough for an OS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If this is "unified memory", the GPU will eat up at least half of that. So that leaves you with 4. To run PS and Lr at the same time comfortably, you should have 32 GB. 16 will probably work, but that's pushing it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I read about unified memory and it seems to me that unified can speed up a bit process and reduce amount of memory needed. Otherwise I do not understand where is real advantage, please explain or give me link. What I understand is that Windows without unified memory is copying computing result from RAM to GPU memory thus waste time on that task. My system has 32GB RAM plus 6GB GPU memory. Someone has 32+12 or even 24 so total memory on Windows computers when 32GB RAM is installed is usually (when dedicated GPU is present) more then that. My conclusion is that Apple is speeding up things by using same memory for CPU and GPU and reducing amount of memory needed but... you can not change amount of RAM nor replace GPU.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The net effect is still that the GPU will eat into the available system memory pool.

Unified memory is what Intel has had for years with the integrated GPUs. That's not a reflection on the performance of the GPU as such; just that the principle is the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines