Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop merged my layers for me, can I recover

Apr 23, 2012 Apr 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I exported a project as a pdf by clicking Save As under the file menu, then I saved the original psd by choosing Save As again and selecting PSD this time.  When I came back to the project today all the layers had been merged into one.  I _never_ merged them myself.  Is there any way I can recover all that work or have I been hosed by this "feature"?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 23, 2012 Apr 23, 2012

Hi and welcome to the forum.   The answer to your question depends on whether you have closed the image file in Photosho since you di the Save as.  if not you can step back through History.  If that is the case, then open the History panel from the Window menu.  If you have closed the file between the save as, and noticing the problem, you are out of luck.   It is a good idea to use a different name when saving a PSD file as a JPG or PDF, because there is always the chance you will do a reflex C

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jan 26, 2019 Jan 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davescm  wrote

The problem occurs if in the next dialogue this is unchecked (checking it gives a potential compati

30C2E33A-C322-492A-A853-56AF44E2E2E1.jpeg

The issue may be part Photoshop but more Acrobat. The first thing I saw in Dave’s screen shot was not the red circle (oddly), but the first line that says the Preset for High Quality Print was (Modified) — because that’s always what I look for first when I make a PDF.

For me, I either select the Preset I want, such as High Quality Print or another, or I create my own Preset with the settings I want and then I use that. I don’t  use ”Modifed” because I have no idea what settings are in the other tabs unless I inspect each one.

Reselecting High Quality Print would restore all of the settings in this preset, including enabling this checkbox again. This is the way Acrobat works all of the time, not just when it’s inside of Photoshop. That’s why I‘m calling it an Acrobat issue.

The preset button is in the lower left hand corner.

I never knew what that bland warning box meant before. There are a couple more alerts that are obtuse inside of Photoshop.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 28, 2019 May 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So far as I can see Acrobat is never “inside of Photoshop”. It has nothing to do with saving a PDF from Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 25, 2019 Jan 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The best answer yet.

I agree Dave. You’ve hit the nail on the head.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 25, 2019 Jan 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi eb.munson,

Some great tips here. I hope I can usefully add to them.

I realise this is NOT going to solve your issue but it might prevent someone getting the same problem later.

I NEVER flatten the layered original file, never.

This is what I do.

I'll write why below

I'm not describing a variation of exactly what you did for sure - but this way seems safe to me.

I prefer to avoid the "flatten during saving" option -  I think it's a loaded gun.

I prefer to flatten before saving, just so I see the flat file and can check for any issues with mask edges etc.

BUT I never flatten the original PSD.

I save my completed layered full size file [that’s my future proof archive full size copy and I want to be real careful not to save a flat version over that original (yeah, it's happened due to mis-attention, maybe the phone rings, long call, now back to work - - where am I, ah - OK - done that - close the file - oops it had been flattened!)]]

I make a copy flatten and resize then sharpen to suit the output media - then I save that (maybe as a JPEG) with a new name, so know what i did.

Then I delete the copy.

I hope this helps someone

if so, please do mark my reply as "helpful"

thanks

neil barstow, colourmanagement

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2021 Jul 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem in 2021. It has happened to me more than onc's just don't know whats going on with photoshop. I hope photoshop find away for us to get back our flat files back or else trouble for designers. I now need to go back and redo the whole work again. That is not fair at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 03, 2021 Dec 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you check "layers" when saving the PSD, then your layers should be preserved, its easy to miss though, far better if the default was to save WITH layers.

I hope this helps
neil barstow, colourmanagement net :: adobe forum volunteer
google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management
[please only use the blue reply button at the top of the page, this maintains the original thread title and chronological order of posts]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines